Hurley on SportsCenter | The Boneyard

Hurley on SportsCenter

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Some talented ‘Yarder should compile Danny’s best quotes and throw them on a shirt. The Dusty Rhodes comment regarding AK’s cut eye is one I always get a chuckle at. My kids love WWE so I watch it quite a bit…

Reaction Score
Love Hurley and Husky fans have never had a time like this but I have a question:
In 2014 we won the title and I envisioned a line of studs lined up by Coach Ollie's door. We were under siege with internal problems, academics sanctions, etc. but we not only didn't cash in but we went into a dive. Our talent rated well wasn't great.
Regardless of our finish this season, with Hurley's now nationally recognized status as one of if not the best in college hoops will we see a recruiting windfall on the order of say Duke. We lost Flagg and Hurley don't get me wrong is recruiting quite well with the "right" kind of players but does he get to say another level of incoming talent even as next year's class is good?
Currently we are #25 with 2 four stars.

Poe

Reaction Score
This quote ages like fine wine. “You’d better get us now. Coz it’s coming!”
That quote still amazes me. I believed it when he said because I saw his fire, the progress the team was making and we were just coming up a little short against good teams, but never did I think it was coming that quickly or to this extreme - national championship followed by a unanimous #1 ranking and potential back to back championships. Unreal.

Reaction Score
Love Hurley and Husky fans have never had a time like this but I have a question:
In 2014 we won the title and I envisioned a line of studs lined up by Coach Ollie's door. We were under siege with internal problems, academics sanctions, etc. but we not only didn't cash in but we went into a dive. Our talent rated well wasn't great.
Regardless of our finish this season, with Hurley's now nationally recognized status as one of if not the best in college hoops will we see a recruiting windfall on the order of say Duke. We lost Flagg and Hurley don't get me wrong is recruiting quite well with the "right" kind of players but does he get to say another level of incoming talent even as next year's class is good?
I think he will hit the portal to fill holes as he has in last couple years. I think he has adapted well to the “free agency” aspect of basketball. Look at Newton, Diarra, Calcaterra and Spencer as examples. I trust this man whatever he thinks is best route.

Reaction Score
As long as incoming class has the type of player who are willing to buy in to his culture. All the best players are willing to look inside themselves and be willing to commit to the torturous level of competition that Coach has established as a standard at UConn. Perhaps those kids are not the 5 star players. IMHO

Reaction Score
As long as incoming class has the type of player who are willing to buy in to his culture. All the best players are willing to look inside themselves and be willing to commit to the torturous level of competition that Coach has established as a standard at UConn. Perhaps those kids are not the 5 star players. IMHO
So long as whomever comes in is good with averaging 15-5-4 and competing for some hardware. Please sign here……

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Outside of a handful of recruits, Hurley isn't bringing in the 5 stars or freshmen that are expected to make a huge impact immediately. He'd rather get the 40-60 ranked kid that's going to match his intensity and fit in our culture.

Reaction Score
You gotta stop putting these two together for comparison. One is not like the other. Hurley won’t sleep a wink if he has not a plan so that Huskies fans like you and me can sleep well. If you don’t know Hurley by now, then you don’t know him and our coaches at all. We are very selective about who we are recruiting.

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, but I've gotten over it mostly by looking at the development of Stewart and Ball, Karaban and Samson. I already feel pretty good about next year. I think Hurley wants to recruit a certain type of skilled, but coachable player that fits the culture, and he wants continuity. He also shows young players that he will grow them into successful, NBA-caliber talent.

I love what he's doing, and how he's doing it. I think next year he'll have a lot more cache on the recruiting trail. You can't be a high school player and not be impressed when you watch this team. Yes, he comes off as a little squirrely sometimes, but when you observe the relationship he has with his players, and you hear the media rave about his practices, how can that not be attractive to recruits who want to maximize their talent while playing in a fun system with a high chance for success?

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, but I've gotten over it mostly by looking at the development of Stewart and Ball, Karaban and Samson. I already feel pretty good about next year. I think Hurley wants to recruit a certain type of skilled, but coachable player that fits the culture, and he wants continuity. He also shows young players that he will grow them into successful, NBA-caliber talent.

I love what he's doing, and how he's doing it. I think next year he'll have a lot more cache on the recruiting trail. You can't be a high school player and not be impressed when you watch this team. Yes, he comes off as a little squirrely sometimes, but when you observe the relationship he has with his players, and you hear the media rave about his practices, how can that not be attractive to recruits who want to maximize their talent while playing in a fun system with a high chance for success?
Whatever schtick opposing coaches use to counter our success and athlete development will be lapped up by a good % of HS Coaches, AAU Coaches, Parents and athletes alike. They will be willing to overlook success and development for reputation(ie "Blue Bloods") and cold hard cash. Don't know if we are able to match the $$ of the "Big" programs, but don't get the sense that DH will get in a bidding war, even if he could.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For those who recall the interviews from the 2014 Calhoun documentary, there were guys on our best teams who wanted to leave after they got to Storrs. Voskuhl wanted to bail to Arizona because he was fed up with Calhoun's demands, Tate George was gonna bail to Marquette because he was sick of getting yelled at. Ricky Moore noted that there were more that bailed who weren't interviewed.

I've long thought JC somewhat abandoned the focus on character and perserverance after the 2004 NC and went after 5-stars who might've been softer in the toughness department for a few years. I imagine that's an unpopular opinion here, but I also don't think I'll be worrying about DH making that same mistake.

Reaction Score
Always love the culture stuff like ‘group of like-minded individuals pursuing a goal‘.

But what jumped out was the snippet at the end re: last January’s swoon & how it made them less fearful of losing going forward.

Underrated aspect to me is that lack of fear they have. They learned from last January so what is there to fear!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom