How will Sarah do as a freshman? | The Boneyard

How will Sarah do as a freshman?

Reaction Score
This is a thread to discuss known players of interest and other potential recruits. This thread is different from the monthly recruiting thread in that thread drifts and posters discussing their hopes on who comes to UConn aren’t allowed there. While this thread has more latitude, it’s still about the recruits, how they might fit into the team, who you wish to see come, deeper discussion about their skill sets, recent performances etc.
  • No transfer talk EVER (see the rules tacked at the top of the board)
  • No discussion of who is staying/going (discussion to this will result in the thread being shut down by the admins)
  • Discuss the recruits: not starting lineups, other non-UConn players or non-UConn POIs

Reaction Score
So I’ve heard some mixed comments about Sarah Strong. Some people have said she’s a generational talent while others have said they weren’t sure what to think. We’ve kind of had a mixed bag when it comes to #1 recruits (meaning some players come in looking ready to go for college and just make an impact right away, while others take a year or more to really develop and look UConn ready). Where do you think Sarah Strong will fit in… ready to go or needing a little more time?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So I’ve heard some mixed comments about Sarah Strong. Some people have said she’s a generational talent while others have said they weren’t sure what to think. We’ve kind of had a mixed bag when it comes to #1 recruits (meaning some players come in looking ready to go for college and just make an impact right away, while others take a year or more to really develop and look UConn ready). Where do you think Sarah Strong will fit in… ready to go or needing a little more time?
This is not a recruiting topic

Reaction Score
This is not a recruiting topic
Is my post not to facilitate deeper conversation about how Sarah might fit into the team and facilitating deeper discussion about her skill sets? I wasn’t intentionally trying to be off topic, I genuinely thought a discussion about how she will do as a freshman and compare against other top recruits UConn has had fit in with the description of what was allowed in this thread.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I want examples!!!! Do not cite injured players (if applicable in your thinking), that's not fair.

Reaction Score
I want examples!!!! Do not cite injured players, that's not fair.
Well the players in my mind that came in ready to go, fit right in and didn’t necessarily play like they were a freshman include: Maya, Katie Lou, Paige. On the other end, the #1 recruits that I remember maybe having a little bit more struggles and maybe were more prone to “freshman mistakes” in the beginning were Megan Walker and Christyn Williams (it’s been so long ago so maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I feel like Breanna Stewart also had a little adjustment period too).

Reaction Score

Based on her performance in the McDonald's game and her comments after committing, she'll be tremendous. 1) She's incredibly versatile, being able to hit with precision from the arc, as well as going underneath. Her size will provide defensive deterrence as well. 2) She's Coach Geno's type of player in that she pledged to help any way she can. So she's already amenable to Coach Geno's style of play, with players taking multiple roles. 3) And given her team-centered mindset, she'll likely blend in superbly with her teammates.

She presents a tremendous talent, and should give a great boost in size that we've been lacking. Still need a post...

Reaction Score
I think the presence of Bueckers will be such a blessing for Sarah. Paige will take the heat from the media, she’s a proven bucket getter, and can make those big plays in big moments. It gives Sarah the space to be incredibly effective without the pressures freshman like Juju and Hidalgo experienced this year. Our roster is stacked on paper, but very inexperienced when you factor in all of the time missed with injuries. There’s opportunity there for her to claim lots of plying time, and even fight to be our 2nd or 3rd option. To me it’s a great space for her to be as a freshman, and likely step into a leadership role alongside hopefully a healthy fudd as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
I believe Sarah will be a great addition. Starter??? Maybe, perhaps as the season progresses. I can see her at PF (a true #4) and Jana at C (a tru #5). Mix that with any combo of Paige, KK, Ash, Azzi, Aubrey, Q, Ayana, the 2 freshman Guards..and more..more..more!
Geno is going to have a lot of options. Gotta keep the positive energy high and the excitement going.

Reaction Score
By all accounts and videos, she's got a high basketball iq and versatility to her game so she'll fit perfectly to what Geno wants and having such a humble leader who looks for the betterment of others in Paige will do wonders for her transition to the college game.. I expect 25 min. per game and about 14 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists per game from Sarah in her freshmen season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I listened to what Sarah had to say yesterday and she said she's not in Div. I shape. She's got 7 months to get or she'll be doing that in her playing season. I suspect UConn will be helping her right away with that. She has a lot of skills and she will do fine.

Reaction Score
I've been saying to myself that Sarah will crack the starting lineup her freshman year. It may not happen right away, but probably by January, definitely by February.

She'll fit in soonest with her high post passing skills, which means the half court offense will suit her very well, especially with Jana as a partner. I think she'll also crash the boards really well from that position. I expect to see her hit 3-4 3s in most games.

How will Sarah fit in with the pressing defense sets? She's quick for 6'2" though maybe not quite as quick as Morgan who might make more sense in the press, since that's what she mainly played in high school. In a sort of irony, Sarah and Morgan have similar skill sets, though Sarah seems to be a better perimeter shooter (though perhaps not by much) and Morgan seems better suited to push the pace in transition. I wonder if we're looking at the beginning of something like the Napheesa-Katie Lou partnership.

How will Sarah fit into Geno's defensive schemes? How quickly will she learn them? This is the primary factor determining how quickly she cracks the starting lineup. Highlights suggest she is an intuitive defender who knows how to anticipate and jump the passing lanes. She can be an effective shot blocker though I wouldn't want he to focus on this. The sooner she gets the defense down, the sooner she starts.

Will she spend sometime playing as a traditional power forward? I hope so, since she seems very strong and a quick leaper. Also, she has a quick outlet pass, reminiscent of what Caroline could do in her freshman season. Sarah playing next to Jana or Ice could make the paint a scary place for opposing guards.

Reaction Score
It appears that Sarah is taller than 6'2''. Just compare to Carrera of IMG: she is listed 6'4''

Reaction Score
A lot depends on how she is used within the UConn system and how players around her develop.

Reaction Score

Sounds like someone is running out of things to post about now that the endless discussion on the recruiting speculation is over after Strong's commitment :). I am curious, do you ever post about anything other than recruiting speculation and speculation about recruits?

Reaction Score
Sounds like someone is running out of things to post about now that the endless discussion on the recruiting speculation is over after Strong's commitment :). I am curious, do you ever post about anything other than recruiting speculation and speculation about recruits?
Not when the thread topic is calling for speculation on how this elite new recruit will do as a freshman. Did the title lead you to expect something else?

Reaction Score
I think many have hit on the key points, versatile, good basketball IQ, good passer, seems t team or two.o be ideal for the high post with Jana in the low post, willing to play a role etc. Those all improve the odds she can fit in right away.

But mostly I think it is her overall talent level. We have plenty of players who can make very good contributions and maybe make an all conference team someday, but only four that I think have All American upside. Paige, Azzi, Sarah, and Jana. It may be a significant reach regarding Jana, but until I see more I think it could be possible.

In practice before the season starts I think those four (except Azzi as she recovers) will separate themselves from the rest with enough margin that they will be clear cut starters , and the high low with Sarah and Jana will produce immediate results.

Reaction Score
We have plenty of players who can make very good contributions and maybe make an all conference team someday, but only four that I think have All American upside. Paige, Azzi, Sarah, and Jana
I'd add Morgan to that list. I think she's being overshadowed in our talk by Sarah. Maybe it was the ankle injury two years ago, but she fell out of the eye of the ranking folks. If she gets the playing time, I think she's got a shot at AA. And Allie also may surprise some of you. This may turn out to be the best recruiting class in a long time.

Reaction Score
Not when the thread topic is calling for speculation on how this elite new recruit will do as a freshman. Did the title lead you to expect something else?

No, I was just curious about someone who only posts about recruits and never anything else, no more, no less.

Reaction Score
First off I’d like to acknowledge how great the team performed this year and how great Aaliyah and Nika performed as seniors. I can’t express how proud I am of both. IMO opinion their greatest attributes were toughness and overall capability on the defensive end. This specific strength won’t be replaced next year. UCONN will work to overcome it with other strengths.

In re to Sarah Strong- she can be a hammer with extreme triple-threat offensive capabilities that are extremely elite along with being a rebounding bully for her size. Her ceiling in terms of Offense and throw in rebounding is overall just as good as any freshmen from this past year. The freshmen from last year had bad games too – and next year so will Sarah as well. But imo she is at that level also taking into account Sarah’s teammates will probably more magnify her strengths than what the others had to go through as freshmen. Before I get slaughtered - not saying this “will happen” Just saying it has a celling that it can. She’ an inside out SF/PF. I guess you would need someone big (6’2) and very quick to deny her the ball. UCONN’s counter on playing any extreme defense like this on her and Paige- is probably the remaining shooters on the team – and if Azzi is healthy . . . that especially ain’t workin’ this upcoming year. The offense to overcome the defense along with added size with Jana and Ayanna and Morgan - and eventual Aubrey.

So, in terms of recruiting the only big issue is a very experienced yet fundamentally sound big that has toughness along with an experienced fundamentally tough and experienced efficient Wing that can guard other Wings and quick guards while nailing open outside shots. This would be the near perfect team. For example, good luck trying to find a big center specifically as mentioned.

But potentially, Sarah gives you every offensive situation you can imagine other than her offensive low post and overall rebounding which can be limited by a very extreme height player or very athletic tall team. But that’s like saying Larry Bird’s output for low post scoring and rebounding could be limited by Hakeem Olajuwon. – Good luck Hakeem guarding Larry 20 feet from the hoop.

Reaction Score
I'd add Morgan to that list. I think she's being overshadowed in our talk by Sarah. Maybe it was the ankle injury two years ago, but she fell out of the eye of the ranking folks. If she gets the playing time, I think she's got a shot at AA. And Allie also may surprise some of you. This may turn out to be the best recruiting class in a long time.
Geno will have 2 months of practice to gage Sarah. I believe Sarah will start from day one and given a chance to show she is the real deal. I believe she is. This Uconn team will have the opportunity and challenge of starting a NEW unbeaten streak to Uconn's 111 win streak/ I purposely avoid the often mentioned In---y Bug words as not mentioned , not happening.

Reaction Score
Geno will have 2 months of practice to gage Sarah. I believe Sarah will start from day one and given a chance to show she is the real deal. I believe she is. This Uconn team will have the opportunity and challenge of starting a NEW unbeaten streak to Uconn's 111 win streak/ I purposely avoid the often mentioned In---y Bug words as not mentioned , not happening.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):)

Reaction Score
Many are saying Sarah needs to get in D1 basketball shape (which she admits and I agree), I can already see the commitment. You can tell over the past year she’s already taken that serious and slimmed down and looks like she’s in better shape. I imagine with more time that’ll continue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom