How UConn will Beat South Carolina | The Boneyard

How UConn will Beat South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a game where the cream will rise to the top. I expect Paige to be Paige. With Cardoso out this will allow UConns guards to dribble drive. Another point Aaliyah will not have to be concerned with 6'7 blocking her shots. She can continue to play confidently and I believe she is to quick for SC's bigs to handle. Paige and Aaliyah can not win the game alone. They will need some help. Everybody else has to score. The dribble drives should be open and our guards are quick enough to cause problems for SC's defense. Now SC's defense may double down on Aaliyah and Paige leaving somebody open. We need to hit those shots and force SC to guard 5 on 5. I would like nothing more at the beginning of the game to have KK and Nika hit a couple of outside shots thus forcing SC to pay attention to them. We will need 5 players scoring to keep SC's defense honest. We must stay out of foul trouble. Wouldnt it be nice to go the first half with no UConn play with more then 2 fouls? I dont expect a blowout like some have mentioned. I expect the score to be in the 60's maybe low 70's. I dont expect miracles, I do expect UConn to play their game well.

This is my short thought on how UConn can beat SC.

Reaction Score
With Cardoso out, the game is leveled to some extent. It will be our fitness and stamina against their depth. With both teams good on defense and SC in new sets, I see a low scoring game. Trusting that Aaliyah will give us 20 and 10, Nika will stay on the court and Ash can make some 3's, the key to a possible win will be Paige doing what we still think Paige can do. It's going to be a tournament style tough environment, SC averages some 15,000 fans at home - Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
This is a game where the cream will rise to the top. I expect Paige to be Paige. With Cardoso out this will allow UConns guards to dribble drive. Another point Aaliyah will not have to be concerned with 6'7 blocking her shots. She can continue to play confidently and I believe she is to quick for SC's bigs to handle. Paige and Aaliyah can not win the game alone. They will need some help. Everybody else has to score. The dribble drives should be open and our guards are quick enough to cause problems for SC's defense. Now SC's defense may double down on Aaliyah and Paige leaving somebody open. We need to hit those shots and force SC to guard 5 on 5. I would like nothing more at the beginning of the game to have KK and Nika hit a couple of outside shots thus forcing SC to pay attention to them. We will need 5 players scoring to keep SC's defense honest. We must stay out of foul trouble. Wouldnt it be nice to go the first half with no UConn play with more then 2 fouls? I dont expect a blowout like some have mentioned. I expect the score to be in the 60's maybe low 70's. I dont expect miracles, I do expect UConn to play their game well.

I love your optimism, Tony. But I think you are a bit over the top. First, South Carolina has several "BIGS' to replace Cardozo. They are more like 6'4 than 6'7", but they are big, strong, athletes, the likes of which Aaliyah has not been paired up against in any of the Big East games. Paige, as you say, has to be " all world" against South Carolina , and we all know she can do that. However, we also know she has been struggling, and "beat upon" in the last few games. South Carolina will beat on her again. And the" home game atmosphere" may have the referees favoring the gamecocks ( I know, they are paid to be fair and objective ). Nikka can defend anyone and, as you suggest, she needs to hit some threes early. But she added only 7 points against Seton Hall. That is a long distance from what we shall need in Columbia, SC. As for Shade and KK, let's not forget that they are freshmen. And they are not yet reliable as scoring threats ( e.g. KK had zero points against a Seton Hall team that would lose 200-0 against South Carolina ). And don't forget, South Carolina has had several straight recruiting classes which many regard as "the best in the country." So our really good freshmen may be playing against better basketball players than they have seen. Remember what Hidalgo ( Notre Dame ) did to them? Now, let's get to the fatigue /foul trouble factors; UCONN has five players charged with " getting the job done." It is one thing to play 38 minutes each against the Big East, and quite another to do that against South Carolina. We have two players who represent " depth," while SC probably has five. And what do you expect from Ice and Q? They may become really good players in a season or two. But for each positive they add, they also show a negative. So we are a 10th ranked team, depending on three superstars and two solid freshmen. Not much behind them. And South Carolina is twice that. I don't think they will even notice that Cardozo is gone. I certainly hope you are right in your assessment. But I see UCONN beaten by 18 ( and if it is worse, I wont be surprised ). We have three great players. And four "learning and developing" players behind that. That is not enough against the likely undefeated national champions.

Reaction Score
This will not be the first time Uconn will be facing a NO 1. I believe Uconn will surprise SO Carolina and many,many others with their defense and scoring capabilities and cohesiveness . It will be a grind, but that's Uconn's middle name and with the fact of it's possible, I believe they will pull the win off. GO FRESHMEN!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score

UConn has not shown once this year that they can compete with an athletic team with size. Geno will play four guards and AE and UConn will get smoked. AE will be doubled and Paige will be muscled leaving the three others to lead the way and they simply aren't capable of playing at that level, yet. The only chance they had in this game left when Geno decided not to develop the players he has this season and instead went with a small team that can get him wins in the Big East.

If they keep this game within 20 points I will be shocked. I expect the margin to be in the 30s or 40s and at least two players will foul out for UConn. SC is a very good team that plays physical ball and AE is the only player on UConn that can play that type of ball. The good though is they will rebound and win every game they have left, at least until the NCAA Tournament.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am doubtful that UConn can prevail
UConn is a fine team with obvious shortcoming in depth, height, and experience

These obvious shortcomings make us vulnerable to
more complete squads w/o any of the above deficiencies.

You can never count out Paige and Geno but for me, SC is a bridge too far

Reaction Score
The flying elephants will keep dropping the ball into the SC basket, over all those players towering over UConn's players. In other words, no way, no how. I wish it weren't true, but I expect this to be a blowout, and not the good kind.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just don't see us doing well against South Carolina on Sunday. Our post entry passes that we can get away with being sloppy against slower teams, will not work against South Carolina. If we are settling for the pull up from the elbow. That is playing right into the hands of South Carolina because we are one and done.

If we pull off a win against South Carolina, it means the whole team did everything perfectly. Our guards handled the quickness of South Carolina. Our Post players stepped up and played out of their minds. We knocked down 55%, or better, of our shots from deep and midrange. We communicated better on defense. We got more rebounds than South Carolina. We kept our turnovers under 10. If we can do all of that, we should be good, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has to be able to keep the guards in front and stay out of foul trouble. If they don't, it could be really ugly.

Can't go zone against this iteration of SC. They can shoo the 3-ball. Nika and KK need to stay smart. They both have to be effective and be on the floor for at least 32 minutes each.

Also, I expect SC to be very physical w/Paige.

The one advantage could be Edwards. She needs to stay on the floor as well. SC has depth underneath, but with Kardosa out, I'm not sure if the others have the foot speed.

I think it all comes down to how the game is called. If there are quick whistles or whistles on the last bit of contact, it won't be good for UConn. It's sort of catch-22 for them. They could also get warn down and banged up if the refs let a lot go.

Reaction Score
Gosh I’m amazed at how thick the rose colored glasses are here sometimes. Head in the sand, breathing through a straw. I expect it from Next12, but not you too Tony!

Love UConn, but this team has very little chance here. Almost zero. You know what? It’s okay! This team is what it is. Injury riddled, two years in a row.

Hopefully, they can make it respectable. All they can do is their best, and I know they will.

Reaction Score
No Length. No Depth. No chance.
SC will win by 10 even without the big tree in the middle!
While i love the alliteration, you’re not putting much behind your claim. Massey already suggests SC by 9.

Come on, take the dive. SC by 30!!!

Reaction Score
The flying elephants will keep dropping the ball into the SC basket, over all those players towering over UConn's players. In other words, no way, no how. I wish it weren't true, but I expect this to be a blowout, and not the good kind.
Interesting imagery… But last season SC lost in the semi’s to a team who also was “no way, no how.”

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just don't see us doing well against South Carolina on Sunday. Our post entry passes that we can get away with being sloppy against slower teams, will not work against South Carolina. If we are settling for the pull up from the elbow. That is playing right into the hands of South Carolina because we are one and done.

If we pull off a win against South Carolina, it means the whole team did everything perfectly. Our guards handled the quickness of South Carolina. Our Post players stepped up and played out of their minds. We knocked down 55%, or better, of our shots from deep and midrange. We communicated better on defense. We got more rebounds than South Carolina. We kept our turnovers under 10. If we can do all of that, we should be good, but I don't see that happening.
The is a passage in the Hebrew Bible where Abraham barters with G-d to save the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. If Abraham can find 10 good people, will the Lord save the cities? How about 5 good people?

i feel like your write-up demands similar bargaining. If we do 5 of the things you mention, will that suffice? How about 3???

Reaction Score

I see that you and I have been watching the same team and games. ;) I'll be very surprised if Staley doesn't use as many bodies, contact, and as much pressure as she needs to make sure Bueckers doesn't beat her. It'll take career days from the rest to pull this one off.

Reaction Score
Three superstars?

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Obviously based upon the limited personnel, the superstars are Beuckers, Edwards, and Muhl. The two freshmen are Arnold and Shade....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom