OT: - How to get fitted for golf clubs | The Boneyard

OT: How to get fitted for golf clubs

Reaction Score
I'm an average golfer, usually get a bogey on most holes (maybe that isn't average after all- hmm). Anyway, I've heard of getting fitted for clubs, not sure I know exactly what this means, but I gather it's a good thing and can help your game. Do you have to be good enough for it to make a difference? Where do you go to get fitted, a high-end golf shop?

I would like to get new irons and thought if it makes a difference, then I should get fitted, but I don't even know where to begin. Whatever it is, is it worth it?

Reaction Score
Chris Cote’s Golf Shop is the place you want to go to and plenty of others on here would recommend them as well. I’ve always been told that as long as your swing is consistent and repeatable, club fitting can be beneficial. For those of us who stink and hit around 100, probably a waste of time and money.

Basically what they do is they look at your swing speed and ball flight, and then they will change out the shaft depending on how fast your swing is, and also change the club heads. The overall goal is to help give you more precise yardage gapping on your irons, and find the right feel for clubs that let you strike the ball cleaner with your swing pattern

Reaction Score
Chris Cote’s Golf Shop is the place you want to go to and plenty of others on here would recommend them as well. I’ve always been told that as long as your swing is consistent and repeatable, club fitting can be beneficial. For those of us who stink and hit around 100, probably a waste of time and money.

Basically what they do is they look at your swing speed and ball flight, and then they will change out the shaft depending on how fast your swing is, and also change the club heads. The overall goal is to help give you more precise yardage gapping on your irons, and find the right feel for clubs that let you strike the ball cleaner with your swing pattern

Also they take height into account (my irons are +.5").

Reaction Score
The answer is yes. You’re a better than average golfer. You would benefit from fitted clubs.

Sounds like he's in the 86-92 range. That's definitely above average, all things considered.

Reaction Score
I'm an average golfer, usually get a bogey on most holes (maybe that isn't average after all- hmm). Anyway, I've heard of getting fitted for clubs, not sure I know exactly what this means, but I gather it's a good thing and can help your game. Do you have to be good enough for it to make a difference? Where do you go to get fitted, a high-end golf shop?

I would like to get new irons and thought if it makes a difference, then I should get fitted, but I don't even know where to begin. Whatever it is, is it worth it?
If you are serious about playing golf getting fitted is the only option.

If you play 5x a year and its just * and giggles, whatever, get the clubs off the rack and go at it. But for anyone else, get fitted. Period.

I don't know where you live, but TrueSpec is a franchise and does a good job. There are individual fitters depending on the area as well. You will spend about $200-$300 on the fitting, and the club cost will be more as likely you won't be getting the on the rack shafts. Well worth it though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yes, get fitted. Bogey golf is plenty fine.
The days of walking in to a sporting goods store and just buying off the rack died 10 years ago. There are now multiple shaft styles and ways of getting club heads tweaked and weights moved around to best match your swing.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the answers. But, I still don’t get it entirely. Is it just with new clubs or can you get fitted with used clubs? For what it’s worth, I’m 5’9. Do they change the length of the club? I was looking to upgrade to nice set of Callaway Apex or Taylormade P790, but they’d be used- is fitting still possible? Oh, and I live near Keene, NH.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

For those of us who stink and hit around 100,
i don't believe that 'stink' and 'around 100' is correct. iirc, golf digest said
something like ' only 10% of golfers break 100.'
as far as i've seen, it seems very true.

the amount of excuses, cheating, and bold faced lying that goes into a golf card is fairly common, and so a true 'around 100' is better, way better, than the average bear.

Reaction Score
For those of us who stink and hit around 100,
i don't believe that 'stink' and 'around 100' is correct. iirc, golf digest said
something like ' only 10% of golfers break 100.'
as far as i've seen, it seems very true.

the amount of excuses, cheating, and bold faced lying that goes into a golf card is fairly common, and so a true 'around 100' is better, way better, than the average bear.
I just googled it and most websites say 50% break 100, 10% break 90. It doesn’t really matter but the general thought process behind getting fitted is that you need to have a repeatable, consistent swing for the fitting process to actually provide any benefit. People who can’t break 100 (99% of the time) will not have good enough swings to get fitted properly

Reaction Score
Not really - I mean, I'm 6'1-1/2" and a 1/2" lengthening is fantastic. Arm length plays into this too.
The fact that you know your clubs are +0.5” means you’re above average. And that’s probably right for you, unless you have unusually long or short arms.

Reaction Score
If you golf a lot and want to get better, yes get fit. They will take your static measurements (wrist to floor) to determine the length of the shaft. They will look at swing speed to determine shaft flex, and they should have you hit off a lie board to determine if the club needs to upright or flat (is the toe digging or heel digging at impact, which can cause errant shots, you want the clubhead neutral at impact).

In terms of selection, they should test out multiple clubs blindly and see what has the best results. In your case, it’ll probably start with forgiving irons (bigger sweet spot and head, less workable) to less forgiving irons potentially (smaller sweetspot and head, more workable)

In my opinion, it comes down to preference/feel once you get dialed in on a certain club.

Hope this helps

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for the answers. But, I still don’t get it entirely. Is it just with new clubs or can you get fitted with used clubs? For what it’s worth, I’m 5’9. Do they change the length of the club? I was looking to upgrade to nice set of Callaway Apex or Taylormade P790, but they’d be used- is fitting still possible? Oh, and I live near Keene, NH.

They can dobwhatwver you want with new or used. Obviously more options with new but even stuff like different grips can make a difference in your swing.
At 5'9" maybe they go withb a 1/2 inch shorter shaft or change the lie angle. Maybe they don't. But there will be video and numbers that explain it all.
Most places charge a nominal fee for the time and equipment but knock some if that cost off if you buy from them.
Make a call to the places others have recommended and give it a try.
Other option is to be on lookout for Demo Days by different manufacturers at different courses.

Reaction Score
I used to work in the golf industry. If you are in CT, Chris Cote’s is the only place to go. Kyle at the performance center is a total golf geek and will get you right, quickly.

I’m terms of getting fit, the proper way.

They will measure your wrist to the floor, have you hit off the lie board, throw you on the Mixuno shaft optimizer, and lastly use the trackman and compare shafts and iron heads that give you the best spin rate and tightest dispersion.

Reaction Score

Good place, but when they started off by trying to change my grip, I walked away.

Reaction Score
Have you taken any lessons? I would take the money you are going to spend on a fitting and first spend it on an analysis of your golf swing/lesson. This may cause you to make adjustments in your swing that may in turn change the best clubs for you. Just my opinion there.

As far as your question about can you buy used clubs after being fitted for clubs - you can, but it's not quite the same. The person fitting you can tell you to look for clubs that have say stiff shafts and +.5, etc, but can't totally custom fit you.

Reaction Score
I do need lessons! Also, I’m not sure my swing is consistent, but I’m working on it (watching YouTube videos). I will see about new vs used- the Finnish clubs Takomo(?) are under $600 for brand new and have good reviews.

Reaction Score
That seems like the worst possible thing to do at a club fitting lol
Even if your handicap is 6? I was just looking around. The grip I use is an unconventional baseball grip, especially on my 2, 3, and 4 irons. Though on my driver and 3 wood, I still use an overlap grip.

Reaction Score
Have you taken any lessons? I would take the money you are going to spend on a fitting and first spend it on an analysis of your golf swing/lesson. This may cause you to make adjustments in your swing that may in turn change the best clubs for you. Just my opinion there.

As far as your question about can you buy used clubs after being fitted for clubs - you can, but it's not quite the same. The person fitting you can tell you to look for clubs that have say stiff shafts and +.5, etc, but can't totally custom fit you.
Last lesson I took was from a guy named Mickey Homa about 40 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom