How Penn State Joined the Big Ten: “An A Outcome With F Execution” | The Boneyard

How Penn State Joined the Big Ten: “An A Outcome With F Execution”

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

“The contentious process lacked transparency and dragged out over several months. There was little communication among the stakeholders at different levels and only a late provision and vote reversal secured the invitation.

“Net-net, the actual decision to add Penn State was a home run,” former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. “The way we did it, I probably would grade it as an ‘F.’ So you have an ‘A’ outcome with an ‘F’ execution.”

It was a self-inflicted disaster with the optimum outcome, and it sparked a wave of conference realignment around the country. Here’s how it happened.”

Reaction Score
Is there a way to read the full article behind the paywall?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there a way to read the full article behind the paywall?
Tap show reader in your browser while the article is loading.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Didn’t read the article, but the process was a mess. I know that Michigan was one of the schools that was against the addition (at least the football coaching staff fought it). It was a majority that voted yes, but was not unanimous. There was a lot of bad blood that was spilled. While time has healed most of the damage, there are fringe PSU groups that long for independence again.

Not sure the validity, but there are rumors that there were discussions with Texas at the time. They got so far that NW was worried they would be kicked out of the Big10 if Texas was admitted.

Reaction Score
Didn’t read the article, but the process was a mess. I know that Michigan was one of the schools that was against the addition (at least the football coaching staff fought it). It was a majority that voted yes, but was not unanimous. There was a lot of bad blood that was spilled. While time has healed most of the damage, there are fringe PSU groups that long for independence again.

Not sure the validity, but there are rumors that there were discussions with Texas at the time. They got so far that NW was worried they would be kicked out of the Big10 if Texas was admitted.

The article talks about Northwestern's reluctance.

I remember reading something previously that Texas had inquired about joining the B1G back before the SWC disbanded, but it was within that three-year window where the B1G wasn't expanding. What could have been! Although, Texas never liked to play nice in the sandbox in the SWC or Big 12, so maybe the B1G dodged a bullet! We'll see if they play nice in the SEC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom