How Nika Mühl is putting together her best season 'by far' | The Boneyard

How Nika Mühl is putting together her best season 'by far'

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

“She's having the best year since she’s gotten here,” head coach Geno Auriemma declared. “Even if she doesn't have 1,000 assists like last year, this is her best year by far.”
The numbers bear that out. While Mühl’s assists are down from 7.9 last season to 6.3 this year — though she’s on pace to surpass Bird’s mark of 231 again — everything else is up. She currently has career-highs with 7.0 points, 50.8 percent from the field, 59.6 percent from two, 43.3 percent from three, and 4.0 rebounds.
Mühl is doing damage from all over, too. She’s drilling 57.4 percent of her 3-pointers from the corner, 38.6 percent on threes above the break, and has developed a lethal pull-up jumper, which hits at a 60.0 percent clip. For reference, she shot just 21.1 percent on mid-range twos last season.
“She's shooting the ball better than she's ever shot it since she's been here,” Auriemma said.
All that is while Mühl is getting 6.4 fewer minutes per game and playing alongside two other point guards in Bueckers and KK Arnold..."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A couple of weeks ago I posted the following on the General Forum in response to a post that linked a strange "analysis" in HerHoopStats claiming Nika's draft stock had fallen.

Such a strange take on Nika Muhl. I have no idea where Muhl appears on mock drafts -- I've never paid any attention to them -- but to suggest that Muhl's play this season would cause her stock, whatever it's original value, to fall is just bizarre.

With all that has occurred with the UConn program this season, including Nika's role on the team having to change yet again, she's had a pretty good season. She is averaging a career high in points per game, shooting percentage and 3-pt percentage. Nika is playing 6 fewer minutes this season than she did last season. As UConn was trying to restructure its offense after the loss of Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey, Nika had a few games with too many turnovers. Despite that, her current A/TO (123/48) ratio of 2.6 is also the best of her career. At her current pace, she has a chance to finish the season as UConn's all-time assist leader. She's done this while being a tenacious defender.

She's done exactly what her team has needed her to do.

Reaction Score
I mean this is the best she’s played overall. And it’s a huge help to the team. I think her shooting benefits from the rest of the team, so those numbers don’t tell the whole story, but she’s been great on the defensive end along with rebounding and she still racks up assists. I think she’s truly playing her role this year vs others. A senior is gonna senior.

Reaction Score
UConnCat- - -Nika had a few games with too many turnovers.

UConnCat - - - It turns out that is when Nika was really sick but played anyway!

Reaction Score
I believe Nina is having by far her best shooting year, which greatly enhances her pro draft chances. No longer being looked at as defensive only guard. I do feel her defense, especially against quick guards is average. Nika would be a dominate guard in Europe but more average on a US team. Seems like she is trending as a good, second round pick.

Reaction Score
She should shoot more, and become more offensively minded whenever she has the ball. She can still be a passer and playmaker at the same time but her pull up J at 60% is being underutilized. Maybe next year when she comes back, she will move the pull up out about 6 feet.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A couple of weeks ago I posted the following on the General Forum in response to a post that linked a strange "analysis" in HerHoopStats claiming Nika's draft stock had fallen.

Such a strange take on Nika Muhl. I have no idea where Muhl appears on mock drafts -- I've never paid any attention to them -- but to suggest that Muhl's play this season would cause her stock, whatever it's original value, to fall is just bizarre.

With all that has occurred with the UConn program this season, including Nika's role on the team having to change yet again, she's had a pretty good season. She is averaging a career high in points per game, shooting percentage and 3-pt percentage. Nika is playing 6 fewer minutes this season than she did last season. As UConn was trying to restructure its offense after the loss of Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey, Nika had a few games with too many turnovers. Despite that, her current A/TO (123/48) ratio of 2.6 is also the best of her career. At her current pace, she has a chance to finish the season as UConn's all-time assist leader. She's done this while being a tenacious defender.

She's done exactly what her team has needed her to do.
Every mock draft I've seen (which isn't many) has had Nika going late first round to middle second round. The person who wrote the column could probably have looked at two different mock drafts from the same week and seen her "drop" by several slots just because Nostradamus and Carnac saw things differently and attached some ominous significance to it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We outscored ND by double digits the 19 minutes she was on court. We weren't competitive the 21 minutes she wasn't on the court

If we're going to have any success, it's going to involve Nika

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Re-watching last year's SC-UConn game, Nika scored 11 points largely on drives to the basket. It appeared that South Carolina was so concerned with covering UConn's 3-point shooters and getting defensive rebounds that it left itself open to penetration by guards. That could be a factor in tomorrow's game as well -- are their guards experienced enough to contain penetration and stop-and-pop by Paige, KK, Nika, Ashlynn, and Q?

Nika has a floor game on offense on the rare occasions when she chooses to use it.

Reaction Score
I think Nika would be honest and say she's not having as good a season as last year. Last year she was outstanding leading the team until the Ohio State NCAA Game, when she had 10 turnovers. She's solid but not better than last year, just being honest.

Reaction Score
Yeah she had a bad game but I posted today not yesterday. She will bounce back Wednesday night vs Xavier it's a Big East Game. I hope you give me credit for her bounce back game Thursday.

Reaction Score
I think she has been disappointing this year based on inconsistency. Too many live ball , unforced turnovers. She also misses way too many layups and has dumb fouls.
She did not do a good job on Paopao, yesterday or Hildago previously.

Reaction Score
I think she has been disappointing this year based on inconsistency. Too many live ball , unforced turnovers. She also misses way too many layups and has dumb fouls.
Well, then you have no idea what youre talking about. Nika has done a fantastic job this year. She has not had to just play point guard but has to do more scoring, boxing out and rebounding and had to make sure the freshmen are in the right defense and offense.
She always gets the best player to guard, heck she asks for it. She might not always shut the other teams tops scorer down but she does a pretty good job of it.
Was the game against SC her best...NO but she busted her butt and did a pretty good job.

Reaction Score

“She's having the best year since she’s gotten here,” head coach Geno Auriemma declared. “Even if she doesn't have 1,000 assists like last year, this is her best year by far.”
The numbers bear that out. While Mühl’s assists are down from 7.9 last season to 6.3 this year — though she’s on pace to surpass Bird’s mark of 231 again — everything else is up. She currently has career-highs with 7.0 points, 50.8 percent from the field, 59.6 percent from two, 43.3 percent from three, and 4.0 rebounds.
Mühl is doing damage from all over, too. She’s drilling 57.4 percent of her 3-pointers from the corner, 38.6 percent on threes above the break, and has developed a lethal pull-up jumper, which hits at a 60.0 percent clip. For reference, she shot just 21.1 percent on mid-range twos last season.
“She's shooting the ball better than she's ever shot it since she's been here,” Auriemma said.
All that is while Mühl is getting 6.4 fewer minutes per game and playing alongside two other point guards in Bueckers and KK Arnold..."
I saw at least 6 unforced errors ( turnovers ) by her in the South Carolina game. I agree that she is a terrific player. But not against SC. Let's be honest.

Reaction Score
Just looking at some stats. Statistical categories compare the 13 non conference games vs 12 big east games.

Pts - 5.8, 8.2
Rbs - 3.7, 4.4
Asst- 4.7, 7.7
TO - 2.9, 2.0
3PM- 1.0, 1.6
3% - 41.9, 43.1
FGM- 2.2, 3.3
FG%- 47.5, 49.3

Reaction Score
Yeah she had a bad game but I posted today not yesterday. She will bounce back Wednesday night vs Xavier it's a Big East Game. I hope you give me credit for her bounce back game Thursday.
I was not responding to your post, more a slap at the op

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Nika is a mid-2nd round pick in the upcoming draft, which means that she will be on the bubble of making the roster for any team that drafts her. But I can imagine a team looking at her growth over her time at UConn, her competitiveness and coachability, and her basketball IQ. As mentioned in another thread, she is similar to Kelly Faris, who was drafted and did have a short WNBA career.

Statmasters: How do Nika's stats this year compare to Kelly's senior season stats?

Reaction Score
That's a valid point. Another valid point is that no UConn player did a good job on Paopao, and definitely not on Hidalgo. I'll add that the entire team misses too many layups and commits dumb fouls on occasion. I'll give you the unforced turnovers though, she has to clean that up without question.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I saw at least 6 unforced errors ( turnovers ) by her in the South Carolina game. I agree that she is a terrific player. But not against SC. Let's be honest.
Well, this article is from last Wednesday, and although she did not have a great game against SC, she's doing what Geno & staff expect her to do.

Reaction Score
Would comment that Nika has put together some of her best games of her career this year, particularly on offense. She is displaying a number of moves - mid-range jumper, drives, consistent 3 point shots - that we have never seen this consistently before. Unfortunately, her sloppy passes and fouls are up, ability to defend quick guards down, and her performance in big games, ND and SC in particular, are below expectations, particularly for a Senior. Nika is stronger, higher energy, better passer and has overall better skills than many guards in European basketball. Predict that she has a long and successful career in Europe, making a lot of money and becoming a cult figure due to her aggressive, relentless attitude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom