How long does Geno plan to keep coaching? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How long does Geno plan to keep coaching?

sun

Reaction Score
The next head coach would need to make the decision of a lifetime to relocate to Storrs or close to it.
It's not a place where every HC candidate would want to move to until retirement if they became successful at it.
An assistant coach may have more leeway to not necessarily be in Storrs year round depending on their duties.
The relocation factor is one reason why I'd like to see Jen Rizzotti be involved with the team since she's already living in the vicinity & working at the Mohegan Sun.
It would make it a lot easier if she could become an assistant coach to work her way into a better position to become head coach.
She has a ton of credentials including being inducted into the BB Hall of Fame.
I believe that she's already positioned herself geographically by returning to the eastern CT area to live, where she has extended family and a close friendship with Geno.
A recommendation by Geno would go a long way to providing someone like Jen with the edge to become the next HC, especially if he decides to exercise his option to be an advisor after retiring as HC.
Jen was a tough perfectionist as a UConn player and I think that she can also be a tough coach on a mission.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't argue with Jen Rizzotti as a possible replacement for Geno. However, I doubt Jen would leave her current position as President of the Connecticut Sun to be the HC at Uconn! For a hooper like Jen, which is the most prestigious; President of the Sun or Head Coach at Uconn. I doubt she'd leave the Sun.....for a college coaching position, even if the college is Uconn....but Jen Rizzotti would be great....

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, it was approved because Shea Ralph recently hired Katie Lou to be an assistant coach at Vanderbilt.
Another pre-existing Vandy assistant coach was given new duties so their jobs don't overlap.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
I can’t begin to understand the complexity of a retirement decision for coach. He built something amazing at UConn where many would have said it was impossible. Yes, the wins belong to the players and to all of the assistants and staff and everyone who has worked there along the way. The program, though, belongs to Coach and CD. On some level, he has to feel a tremendous responsibility to what he built and leaving it on the right terms. In human terms, though, I know all too well how possible it is to wake up one day and realize “I just don’t want to do this anymore”. Two years ago I had a great job, and I was at the top of my game career wise. I was working from home and I had all the flexibility in the world. And I still woke up one day and said “I don’t want to do this anymore.“ A couple of days after that, I put in my notice and said goodbye to the company that had been my life for 32 years. I just hope that when Coach gets to that point, that it is as easy for him to make the decision as it was for me. Sometimes, you just know.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Beware the poisoned fruit of the coaching tree. It rarely works out in sports.
This 100%. Watching Tennessee decline the past decade is a prime example.

Berube would be my top pick out of the UCONN tree, but taking over UCONN still seems like a tall task considering her coaching experience has been at tiny programs. No one else stands out to me, though it's worth keeping an eye on Ralph despite a tough first 2 years (largely out of her control.)

Rizzotti would be an underwhelming choice. She just got fired by George Washington a couple years ago and hasn't accomplished anything notable since 2010.

The best way to maintain an elite level IMO is shell out big bucks and hire a big name which means going outside the family. Curious to see which route UCONN goes when Geno eventually hangs it up.

sun

Reaction Score
I can't argue with Jen Rizzotti as a possible replacement for Geno. However, I doubt Jen would leave her current position as President of the Connecticut Sun to be the HC at Uconn! For a hooper like Jen, which is the most prestigious; President of the Sun or Head Coach at Uconn. I doubt she'd leave the Sun.....for a college coaching position, even if the college is Uconn....but Jen Rizzotti would be great....
UConn's BB coaches are the highest paid state employees. Geno earns about 10 times more than the estimated earnings of the President of the CT Sun which is believed to be about the same as Chris Dailey earns as Assistant Head Coach. In 2020, Dailey was earning about $313,000.
Geno's last 5 year contract extension was for $15 million.
Median compensation for a WNBA President is estimated to total about $314,500.

Rizzotti would be an underwhelming choice. She just got fired by George Washington a couple years ago and hasn't accomplished anything notable since 2010.
Jen was an assistant coach for Team USA at the Tokyo Olympics. That was part of her agreement when she became the Sun's President. She's been involved with coaching various Team USA's for many years.
  • As of Oct. 26, 2022
A member of eight previous USA Basketball coaching staffs and the 2011 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year, WNBA Connecticut Sun president Jennifer Rizzotti was named the 2022 USA 3x3 Women's Series team head coach before being announced as the 2022 USA 3x3 Women's AmeriCup head coach.

Coach Rizzotti most recently served as an assistant coach for the 2019-20 USA Basketball Women's National Team through the Tokyo Olympic Games, where she helped the USA capture the gold medal with a perfect 6-0 mark. She also served in 2021 as an assistant coach for the USA AmeriCup Team that claimed gold with a 6-0 record............more

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This 100%. Watching Tennessee decline the past decade is a prime example.

Berube would be my top pick out of the UCONN tree, but taking over UCONN still seems like a tall task considering her coaching experience has been at tiny programs. No one else stands out to me, though it's worth keeping an eye on Ralph despite a tough first 2 years (largely out of her control.)

The best way to maintain an elite level IMO is shell out big bucks and hire a big name which means going outside the family. Curious to see which route UCONN goes when Geno eventually hangs it up.
I think Shea Ralph is the best known and would do good in recruiting. And get Mosley as assistant. They use to be a great duo. I might of mispelled her name. Or go outside the program for best available.

Reaction Score
As long as he wants.
You've got that right, 68. I think that what happens each year is that Geno starts thinking about retiring after the end of the season. Then a new group of players come in and he is re-energized for another year. Especially when the younger players show promise. At that point he feels that it is his responsibility to bring that to fruition.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UConn's BB coaches are the highest paid state employees. Geno earns about 10 times more than the estimated earnings of the President of the CT Sun which is believed to be about the same as Chris Dailey earns as Assistant Head Coach. In 2020, Dailey was earning about $313,000.
Geno's last 5 year contract extension was for $15 million.
Median compensation for a WNBA President is estimated to total about $314,500.

Jen was an assistant coach for Team USA at the Tokyo Olympics. That was part of her agreement when she became the Sun's President. She's been involved with coaching various Team USA's for many years.
  • As of Oct. 26, 2022
A member of eight previous USA Basketball coaching staffs and the 2011 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year, WNBA Connecticut Sun president Jennifer Rizzotti was named the 2022 USA 3x3 Women's Series team head coach before being announced as the 2022 USA 3x3 Women's AmeriCup head coach.

Coach Rizzotti most recently served as an assistant coach for the 2019-20 USA Basketball Women's National Team through the Tokyo Olympic Games, where she helped the USA capture the gold medal with a perfect 6-0 mark. She also served in 2021 as an assistant coach for the USA AmeriCup Team that claimed gold with a 6-0 record............more

She's clearly well respected in the WBB community and has an extensive history coaching collegiately and with USA basketball, but her results as a head coach have been mediocre over the past decade. If you took away the UCONN connection, she wouldn't be on any wishlists as Geno's successor.

Reaction Score
I also echo beware the coaching tree (look at Georgetown on the men's side for a recent example of what not to do), especially in UConn's case as Geno has very unique methods in terms of coaching, strategy, etc. that may not be what is needed in this new generation of wcbb. Keep the values & standards the same, but the next coach needs to be his/her "own "coach that will be EFFECTIVE with recruiting, talent development, strategy & coaching in today's game.

sun

Reaction Score
She's clearly well respected in the WBB community and has an extensive history coaching collegiately and with USA basketball, but her results as a head coach have been mediocre over the past decade. If you took away the UCONN connection, she wouldn't be on any wishlists as Geno's successor.
Do you actually think that Jen should have led UHart or GW to a national championship?
Those programs haven't done any better without her.
To characterize Jen's coaching record as "mediocre" is not being objective.
Just look at how many seasons that her teams played in the post season.
Her conference record was .654 (183 - 97) at UHart & .625 (30 - 18) at GW.
She made it to the NCAAT with both teams & 4 times with UHart.
That's not mediocre at all.
As a matter of fact, it's outstanding especially considering that she was made a Team USA coach.
If her coaching career was so mediocre, how do you explain her selection & her career as a Team USA coach?
Team USA coaching opportunities are far & few between and only offered to a select few.
You think that everyone else in the business has made a mistake about the quality of her coaching & BB knowledge?
Not getting a new contract at GW is part of the life of a Div. 1 coach when working at a bottom tier mid-major school.
It seems to have worked out for the best considering her new job in CT while also raising a family here.
Jen has more Division 1 coaching experience & record of success than any other ex-UConn player turned coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First I don't see Geno stepping down any time soon. He is getting a little older but he still has the sparkle in his eye and he enjoys working with the girls. The real question to me is will he retire before Tara and basically let her have the all time winningest coach on her mantle?

As far as his replacement goes that will be a hard one. I would think they would need to go after a seasoned coach that has been successful and not Geno light. He is a legend and it isn't fair to the person who follows him to be mentored by him, selected by him, and then expect them to replace him. Tennessee did try the secession plan approach and it just didn't work.

Reaction Score
Do you actually think that Jen should have led UHart or GW to a national championship?
Those programs haven't done any better without her.
To characterize Jen's coaching record as "mediocre" is not being objective.
Just look at how many seasons that her teams played in the post season.
Her conference record was .654 (183 - 97) at UHart & .625 (30 - 18) at GW.
She made it to the NCAAT with both teams & 4 times with UHart.
That's not mediocre at all.
As a matter of fact, it's outstanding especially considering that she was made a Team USA coach.
If her coaching career was so mediocre, how do you explain her selection & her career as a Team USA coach?
Team USA coaching opportunities are far & few between and only offered to a select few.
You think that everyone else in the business has made a mistake about the quality of her coaching & BB knowledge?
Not getting a new contract at GW is part of the life of a Div. 1 coach when working at a bottom tier mid-major school.
It seems to have worked out for the best considering her new job in CT while also raising a family here.
Jen has more Division 1 coaching experience & record of success than any other ex-UConn player turned coach.

Her recruiting was weak thats why GW let her go

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some crazy takes in this thread. Glad we can once again focus on basketball match-ups and games.

Reaction Score
Rizzotti, Berube, Ralph are the clear leaders from the Geno "tree". Had she never left UH I would have bet on her, Now not sure. Shea might have a problem if I remember her husband is an assistant on her staff, not sure about nepotism issue at UConn. Berube has done well with
a program that takes a distant back seat to academics. I know all our gals have graduated and have had great grades with the support they get now but Carla has that Princeton background for several seasons and has been taking her team to the Dance. So she gets it done. Anyone else out there? Maybe. But I like the idea of a coach with home already there,

Reaction Score
I'd guess he'll stay for his recruits, as long as he has his health!
This was a tough year, hopefully next years undefeated team will put some gas back in his engine!

Reaction Score
Geno's time to retire is coming soon. CD will retire with him, while a gap year, 1 or 2 years would definitely help the program. I think the new coach will be Sue Bird. She has all of the experience and knowledge regarding basketball a player could have. As a legendary point guard what could be better. Also, she has the personality, personal poise and charisma to carry on with the program excellence that Geno and CD have developed. Finally, Sue Bird would be a great recruiter; and she would be able to attract young women to the Uconn program. Wouldn't she embody the Uconn tradition? Who could resist Sue Bird? Sue Bird is the next generation person to carry on the Uconn tradition and give it a great new dimension and direction. Go Sue
Maybe Sue could drag DT into one of the assistant positions. They may or may not be a great coaching team, but they would be entertaining. Anyone got better name recognition?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Maybe Sue could drag DT into one of the assistant positions. They may or may not be a great coaching team, but they would be entertaining. Anyone got better name recognition?
IMHO, Sue and Diana have bigger goals than coaching college hoop.. When asked about whether she'd ever coach, DT once said, I'm gonna be an owner, or something similar. Now that Sue is retired, and Megan's career may be winding down, they may want to focus on the business(s) they've formed.

Reaction Score
Entertaining for sure, but former WNBA legends succeeding as coaches has had mixed results. Whalen and Thompson are the most recent examples. Swoopes is another one a few years removed from them.

Personally, I'd like to see Sue continue to focus on her venture with Together. Her impact has been impressive so far. Women's sports overall needs her more than UConn in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Geno should stay as long as he wants and if he enjoys it and the team is successful, he has no reason to consider retiring.

I have long believed high level professionals across all walks of life should take stock on should they stay in a role rather than just if they want to. I don't think that is applicable here since UConn is still the #1 or maybe 1B program in America at worst but self examination is sometimes needed. Money is no object for him, his legacy will likely go unmatched, and how much does his family and extended family play a part? Would he prefer to stop worrying about the stress and grind and just enjoy his family and many non biological daughters he has relationships with? Go to the beach and never worry about practicing or recruiting again? Spend time giving back even more to the communities he's called home? There are still plenty of things he could do and make an impact on the world.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If money matters to her she'll be packing the car 10 minutes after the UConn phone call.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Beware the poisoned fruit of the coaching tree. It rarely works out in sports.
As Connecticut knows well, although even that failed effort produced a national championship for us on the men’s side.

Being a legacy player as the primary reason for hiring, a coach is foolish. Too often the coach’s successor is an assistant brought on expressly to ease the transition. That fails fairly routinely. But if you have an alumna, who is also a successful coach with the traits you’re looking for, it makes little sense to exclude them, just because they’ve been in the program previously.

That said, I’m not sure what to make of this board’s obsession with talking about Geno’s retirement. Enjoy him while he’s here. They’ll be plenty of opportunity to whine, worry, and postulate after he has made the decision to leave.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom