How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is it me, or has coach K pulled a reverse Boehiem? Seems more likable with time.
He and JC were together somewhere in Connecticut the other night at an awards ceremony.

Reaction Score
I think the transfer portal and NIL is going to make repeating a little bit easier than it was in the past.

I doubt we'll do it, but I bet somebody will in the next decade. Outside of the five returning starters run it back scenario, we do have the right kind of roster makeup to do it. Two and a half returning starters, a five star that slots right in, a veteran transfer that wants to win in the tournament, and then a bunch of lottery ticket freshman who aren't going to be relied upon for big roles But if one or two of them pop the team will be great.

Reaction Score
I created a thread a few days after we won about our results the season after a title. It's so tough. I do think we are in position with the returning players + transfer + freshman to do better than the previous four.

1999-2000
Preseason Rank: AP #1
End of Season Result: 25-10, 5-seed, L 2nd Round

2004-2005
Preseason Rank: AP #8
End of Season Result: 23-8, 2-seed, L 2nd Round

2011-2012
Preseason Rank: AP #4
End of Season Result: 20-14, 9-seed, L 1st Round

2014-2015
Preseason Rank: AP #17
End of Season Result: 20-15, Missed NCAAs, L 1st Round of NIT

I'm usually overly optimistic but the fact that we will be able to run a similar offense around a sophomore Clingan makes me believe.

Reaction Score
I believe that Florida benefited 100% by us being upset for one of those championships
Nah, there's a reason that UConn team was upset. They should've lost to Washington.

Reaction Score
Going to be extremely hard to win the Big East. I feel better about our chances in the Sweet 16 on then in our conference tournaments. Strange thing to say I know.

Reaction Score
Is it me, or has coach K pulled a reverse Boehiem? Seems more likable with time.

A lot has changed since those tough early 90's losses to Duke. We have taken two championships away from them and we are now in love with the Hurley family. That's quite a recovery. There must have been more than a few Duke fans who were apoplectic seeing the Hurley family lead UConn (their second most hated team) to #5.

It's a shame we don't play Duke every year. If they ever came to Gampel that would be a tough ticket to get.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
What helps is we have 5 good freshmen that had nothing to do with the championship and just want to establish themselves. Hopefully they’re cocky and egotistical enough to not care about the championship. Cam wasn’t here either so that’s 6 players that are more focused about establishing themselves and won’t fill any pressure. The boatload of the pressure will be on Clingdan , Newton and the Coaching staff.
Glad you left out Karaban. He appears immune to pressure.

Reaction Score
With the obvious exception of Newton/Spencer.. We are young and talented.. Samson has been in the Program for two years but not on the floor and Diarra had limited minutes last year. Karaban played 30+ MPG and DC played regularly but limited minutes as Freshmen. We will probably start a very talented freshman at PG/SG in Castle. We have a much more challenging OOC schedule and the BE is stacked this year.

IMO.. How strong is our depth/bench and does talent override youth/inexperience in how they perform? I believe the summer sessions and the European trip will go a long way in telling us how quickly that second group will gel and what our upside looks like. I think our team talent will compensate for our youth and inexperience.

And you know the staff will have them well-conditioned and properly prepared for the season. Like Coach K said in the article.. Anything can happen and you can get on a run for those last 6 games as we did last year.. Speculating that we're in the top 4 BE teams by the end of the season and we're lacing them up for a deep Tournament run.. It'll be a different ride than last year but will be unique in its own way.. I think Danny is excited for the challenge..Can't wait.

Edit: It will be hard but not impossible.

Reaction Score
I created a thread a few days after we won about our results the season after a title. It's so tough. I do think we are in position with the returning players + transfer + freshman to do better than the previous four.

1999-2000

2004-2005

2011-2012

2014-2015

I've said over and over again that the defending champ is almost always overrated, with an undue benefit of the doubt that massive personnel losses will be easily replaced.

Only 1 time out of 4 did our preseason ranking translate to our NCAAT seed, and that year (2005) we were probably overseeded.

We will be a good team. Top 15 and a top-4 seed is very likely. But more than that is asking a lot.

Reaction Score
It would be great, but when you consider that even with arguably the best coach in the game, we only won three. If we can get to the Final Four next year, not only do we have a chance to win it, but it will provide a solid, and extended, boost to our recruiting even if we don't win the championship.

Hurley's going to be a better recruiter than JC was. HIs personality, youth, pedigree and connections give him a edge. He'll use his championship as a springboard better than most coaches. The national media loves him too -- he's got humility, and he's "one of the guys."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It is very hard to repeat.
Only a handful of guys are going for a repeat. We will have 4-5 rotation players going for their first

I forget which college football coach said it but it was a similar message to his team after winning the championship.

UConn isn't defending anything next year. No one is taking the trophy out of Storrs. It is forever there to represent that season. This isn't boxing or MMA where you turn over a belt.

Every season has its own trophy to commemorate the achievements of that team.

So play loose and play to win. No one is taking anything from you.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

1999-2000

2004-2005

2011-2012

2014-2015

So what you’re saying is we’re due to have a great year after winning a national championship.

Reaction Score
I would be perfectly happy with a Big East Championship and Sweet 16.
Some musings about this issue:
-That sounds like a goal for Marquette.
-The Big East should be so good the champion should at least get to the Elite 8.
-It would be great to know what DH will say and do to motivate the players this year, but I don't think it will be:
"It's too hard to repeat so let's save ourselves from potential disappointment by agreeing to settle for the Sweet Sixteen".

JM's message applies: "It's so easy to give in. HARD things are HARD. And if you don't embrace that, if you ever give in to it, then you will never get to where you want to be."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, you're saying there's a chance?

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members