How Great Is Our Freshman Clingan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Great Is Our Freshman Clingan?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He just needs one post move and maybe a counter to it. Otherwise just drop step and dunk it. Sounds a little strange but the guy to study is shaq

I think Yao is a better player to watch. Shaq in his prime was 50-60 lbs heavier than Donovan is right now. Yao had a great turnaround J he could bank off the backboard which completely negated double teams. Keep the ball above your head, pivot and shoot.
A straight up jump hook would be fine too.

Reaction Score
Why? He's so dominant inside. I think opposing coaches would prefer Donovan at the high post. But if he continues to impress there may be no next year. Adama is a great college player but my guess is that scouts rate Clingan higher.
There will be a next year. Clingan's mentioned multiple times he will play a minimum of 2 years in college. The extra year of development will help him substantially.

Reaction Score
He is much better than I thought he would be, I have to admit. When I saw him in high school he looked like he didn’t try too hard because he just totally overwhelmed the guys playing against him. I questioned whether he would adjust this quickly to major college game. He definitely has adjusted. He is also in MUCH better shape.
Dropping forty pounds will do that for you.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Actually one of the often used disses of Clingan among bball 'experts' before he arrived was that he stayed in the local school system and never really played against high level competition.
Both Clingan and Karaban show very good to exceptional fundamental skills and BBIQ for their age and experience. That has probably come from good coaching and being very teachable. How many times have we seen "high level competition" with lack of fundamentals and BBIQ but great athleticism playing against another team of chairs?

Reaction Score
He just needs one post move and maybe a counter to it. Otherwise just drop step and dunk it. Sounds a little strange but the guy to study is shaq
A coaching friend once told me if a big guy has one post move he'll be a very good college player and if he has two moves he'll be a great college player. Sounds like DC is part way there!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Actually one of the often used disses of Clingan among bball 'experts' before he arrived was that he stayed in the local school system and never really played against high level competition.
I was being generous and considering travel/AAU high level

Reaction Score
I don't post very often, but in my opinion, Clingan is our best overall player and has been the most consistent performer of all our players through the first 18 games of the season, period!

He needs to start and play the majority of minutes at the center position for every game going forward. I think that everyone on this team, including Sanogo knows this to be true. They see him and play against him in practice every day. Clingan is growing before our eyes, and everyone can see it and the players know it.

I believe Sanogo has put additional pressure on himself to perform at the highest of levels since the PK tourney, where Clingan (not Sanogo) was the MVP. Sanogo has not handled the pressure well (largely underperforming in conference play).

This team was supposed to be about how far the big three (Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson) could take us. My view is this team goes as far as Clingan can take us, if given the opportunity with buy in from staff and players. The sooner that Hurley and the players understand and accept this reality, the better a season that we will have.

It became crystal clear to me yesterday, that if Clingan played more last night (and in our previous 2 losses), we would have likely won. His presence is a relief value for the rest of the players, and they perform better with him on the floor.

Clingan is a game changer and could turn out to be the best center we have ever had play at UCONN. I cannot think of many other UCONN players as freshman (at any position) in our history that I have been higher on, than I am on him. Time for coach to figure out his rotations to put us in the best position to beat the top teams in the nation and compete for a final four/championship.

Reaction Score
I don't post very often, but in my opinion, Clingan is our best overall player and has been the most consistent performer of all our players through the first 18 games of the season, period!

He needs to start and play the majority of minutes at the center position for every game going forward. I think that everyone on this team, including Sanogo knows this to be true. They see him and play against him in practice every day. Clingan is growing before our eyes, and everyone can see it and the players know it.

I believe Sanogo has put additional pressure on himself to perform at the highest of levels since the PK tourney, where Clingan (not Sanogo) was the MVP. Sanogo has not handled the pressure well (largely underperforming in conference play).

This team was supposed to be about how far the big three (Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson) could take us. My view is this team goes as far as Clingan can take us, if given the opportunity with buy in from staff and players. The sooner that Hurley and the players understand and accept this reality, the better a season that we will have.

It became crystal clear to me yesterday, that if Clingan played more last night (and in our previous 2 losses), we would have likely won. His presence is a relief value for the rest of the players, and they perform better with him on the floor.

Clingan is a game changer and could turn out to be the best center we have ever had play at UCONN. I cannot think of many other UCONN players as freshman (at any position) in our history that I have been higher on, than I am on him. Time for coach to figure out his rotations to put us in the best position to beat the top teams in the nation and compete for a final four/championship.
In addition, the more our guards work with Clingan the better he’ll get fed by them. Sanogo has great skills, footwork and moves when he’s not trying to do too much and we’re lucky to have him. Can we not maximize both of these guys?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The best play was when he caught the high lob and all put in the reverse layup all in one motion without hesitation. He also had a great catch, turn and shoot where he avoided lunging in to the Marquette player who had come from the weakside to take a charge.

yes, he was very good last night.

Let's put this to rest. A very good night from Clingan will produce less points than a very good night from Sanogo.

Sanogo can go for 25 points against good D1 competition. He has two double digit rebounding games- Butler and BU. He had nine against Creighton. He has 13 blocks on the season.

When Clingan is on, he can score 15-20 points. But he rebounds and blocks shots at a much higher rate. When Clingan is playing his A game he effects and controls both ends of the court.
I think you’re being nice to Sanogo here when it comes to points.

DC has 2 games this year where he hit 20 and it’s been in 15 mins and 21 mins. When he’s on (and not even with any game that we’ve seen outside of 5’) he can get 30 if he plays the minutes. Absolutely dominating and can get it done in the flow of an offense which is important. Everything doesn’t have to stall for him to be effective.

After another summer in the gym with how hard he works and a green light he’ll be in serious consideration for NPOY. Top 5 pick candidate.

Reaction Score
In addition, the more our guards work with Clingan the better he’ll get fed by them. Sanogo has great skills, footwork and moves when he’s not trying to do too much and we’re lucky to have him. Can we not maximize both of these guys?

That is what Hurley gets paid $4MM to figure out...just saying, I would hope so...

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It will be fun to watch him next year. I think he can develop a shot. If he keeps his conditioning in line and does not put on mass but more lean muscle and an improved shot he just might become a middle of the first round pick. He really looks like the real deal, way more athletic than I thought.

Reaction Score
Clingan is really good. He still needs to slow down a bit when he posts up.

I just loves how he gets his points in the flow of the offense. LIttle is forced. And his pure size with his athleticism allows him to change the game on the defensive end in away that Sanogo, frankly, just can't. Guys don't fear shooting over Sanogo. Clingan is another story all together.

Reaction Score
FE985D42-DC7D-48BA-B9DE-10D578A622D2.gif

Reaction Score
I'm a little sick of this stuff where Hurley says Sanogo was struggling and Donovan was playing great so we gave Donovan more minutes. He should be getting those minutes all the time, it's not some aberration when he plays well. Every single game he's played 15 or more minutes he's put up crazy numbers and he always has a huge impact on the game even when Hurley shortchanges him like crazy. Clingan has to totally dominate and Sanogo has to be unplayable for their minutes to be the same but when Sanogo dominates scoring the ball he plays 33 minutes and Clingan plays 7. Something ain't right here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IF he develops a midrange game he is 1st team AA

Reaction Score
Conspiracy kitty alert… Patrick Martin penned the article. Could he be a stealth yarder?
…play the 2 bigs together
…got to get DC more minutes
…enjoy DC now while we can in our favorite uni

Reaction Score
Happy for us all that we have him but also he‘s a point of pride for the city of Bristol which needed something sports positive after Aaron Hernandez.
And Bristol got two proud Huskies this year.

Reaction Score
Wow, fantastically well written, I agree with almost every point in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom