How does SJ compare to other bench Centers? | The Boneyard

How does SJ compare to other bench Centers?

Reaction Score
Was watching backup Center Diarria at NC State (and others in the Tourney) and said to myself I think Samson is a better backup than him. I think we have a very good, capable backup Center who gained experience practicing daily against two different NBA Center teammates.

This whole season I to evaluated Samson from a starter's eyes with starter expectations. When he matches up to opposing starting Centers he tends to 'lose the matchups'. But then the reality is, Samson is a bench player backing up Clingan. I have also noticed that when he is playing other bench Centers, he tends to hold his own or at least effectively gives Clingan rest.

I have to remember last's years backup Center was an anomoly and that type of bench talent (any position) is extremely rare. Just last year Clingan was dominating backup (and starting) Centers, and its unfair to expect the same from SJ. The problem is its such a fresh memory and Clingan set an unreachable bar. In that context (i.e. backup) Samson is way better than I give him credit for.

For those who have watched a lot of non-UConn basketball; how does SJ compare to other bench Centers?

caw

Reaction Score
Was watching backup Center Diarria at NC State (and others in the Tourney) and said to myself I think Samson is a better backup than him. I think we have a very good, capable backup Center who gained experience practicing daily against two different NBA Center teammates.

This whole season I to evaluated Samson from a starter's eyes with starter expectations. When he matches up to opposing starting Centers he tends to 'lose the matchups'. But then the reality is, Samson is a bench player backing up Clingan. I have also noticed that when he is playing other bench Centers, he tends to hold his own or at least effectively gives Clingan rest.

I have to remember last's years backup Center was an anomoly and that type of bench talent (any position) is extremely rare. Just last year Clingan was dominating backup (and starting) Centers, and its unfair to expect the same from SJ. The problem is its such a fresh memory and Clingan set an unreachable bar. In that context (i.e. backup) Samson is way better than I give him credit for.

For those who have watched a lot of non-UConn basketball; how does SJ compare to other bench Centers?

Diarra on NC State is the starting PF. And he is extremely good. He's like if Samson played the four and actually could shoot threes at about 30%.

Reaction Score

Diarra is very good and starts as a 4 and plays the occasional 5 if Byrnes is out. He caught some foul trouble yesterday but he’s solid and potentially a next level guy.

Samson J is still a good back up compared to many teams. His improvement is very important to where we are as we speak so we are still lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
Alabama's backup C Nick Pringle is solid, he's pretty close to Samson Johnson's level. He's a traditional big man, 97% of his shots are at the rim and he's a good rebounder. It's another case like Illinois where Clingan matches up better with their backup big man and Samson is a better matchup with Grant Nelson who starts

Reaction Score
It's hard to compare him with any backup, but his biggest issues are that He's light in the ass, and Clingan doesn't play a ton of minutes, so Samson plays against the starting Big in long stretches. They get physical with Him and he ends up fouling them. The upside is he runs the floor so well and all the opposing bigs have no choice but to stay with him, they get exhausted and Clingan comes back in and gets to work.

Reaction Score
He is arguably the best back up. I hope he stays till his 5th year. He will be a monster. I think Danny was thinking 5 years when assessing his wall potential

Reaction Score
Diarra on NC State is the starting PF. And he is extremely good. He's like if Samson played the four and actually could shoot threes at about 30%.
Seems like he rebounds EVERYTHING !

Reactions: caw

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
A lot of teams slide their 4 over to spell the 5. Marquette's Ben Gold is a nice backup 5 though. We play differently on both ends with Samson, I like the change of pace and there are games where he adds a lot. He really has no back to the basket post up game though.

Reaction Score
A lot of teams slide their 4 over to spell the 5. Marquette's Ben Gold is a nice backup 5 though. We play differently on both ends with Samson, I like the change of pace and there are games where he adds a lot. He really has no back to the basket post up game though.
Gold is a good perimeter shooter. After that, I'm not impressed.

Reaction Score

Idk exactly, but I know that Toraino Walker not being available against the Big Dog Robinson in West Lafayette was a factor 30 years ago.

Reaction Score
Difficult question to answer because so many teams play their 4 at the 5 instead of having a true backup.

I would guess his rebounding and foul rate are worse, but his scoring and blocks per minute are probably better than your average backup center. No stats here, just a guess.

Reaction Score
I appreciate this post. Throughout the season i grew weary of people wishing DH had done a better job recruiting another 6'10" banger to backup Clingan. Someone with more beef. Someone better than Johnson. As if that theoretical guy wants to ride the pine behind DC. That guy should be a starter in college. Maybe in any era, but definitely in today's era with the ability to easily transfer.

Last year was an anomoly. Having DC off the bench. By all rights DC should of been starting for some program.... he probably should of been starting for us. But we lucked out and CT produced a once-in-a-decade big and he wanted to stay home. The idea that our back up is going to be much better than Johnson is wishful thinking.

I mean... how greedy are some of us. It was obvious we had a great team. The tournament has made it more obvious. What did people want? Did they want a 30-0 run with DC in the game and another 10-0 run when he went to the bench?

Reaction Score
I guess people are worried that he fouls too much(can't but help reaching with his hands on defense) and the possibility he might have to play against Edey for some minutes in the Championship game if we both advance. I will keep that out of my mind for now. LOL!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Samson is an incredible back-up center. I don't get the constant harping on the things he doesn't excel at instead of praising the things he's good at.

For this team he's perfect. I loved the other night when he entered the game in the midst of DC dominating it, and promptly blocked a shot.

What I love about both of these guys is the lack of wasted motion. They don't give the opposing teams the opportunity to strip them. With Samson he either moves it around the perimeter or, when he gets it inside, he goes right up. Clingan's a bit more methodical but the ball almost never comes down. It's easy to say that a big should never bring a ball down but it's incredible to see them actually stick to it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see SJ try to draw more fouls. He has the hops to just truck people inside the restricted area.

Reaction Score
I appreciate this post. Throughout the season i grew weary of people wishing DH had done a better job recruiting another 6'10" banger to backup Clingan. Someone with more beef. Someone better than Johnson. As if that theoretical guy wants to ride the pine behind DC. That guy should be a starter in college. Maybe in any era, but definitely in today's era with the ability to easily transfer.

Last year was an anomoly. Having DC off the bench. By all rights DC should of been starting for some program.... he probably should of been starting for us. But we lucked out and CT produced a once-in-a-decade big and he wanted to stay home. The idea that our back up is going to be much better than Johnson is wishful thinking.

I mean... how greedy are some of us. It was obvious we had a great team. The tournament has made it more obvious. What did people want? Did they want a 30-0 run with DC in the game and another 10-0 run when he went to the bench?
Samson also provides that different look that Hurley loves so much. Clingan destroys people down low and then Samson comes into spell him and catches lobs and disrupts with his high hedge and recover. I expect Hurley to bring in another center through the portal who has a contrasting style/skillset to Samson for another two headed monster next season. It won't be as good as last year or this season because Clingan and Sanogo are special but this is the blueprint.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Development was slowed by two or more years of injuries . I appreciate him. Hopefully he plays for us next season. I don’t think he’s reached his college potential yet.

Reaction Score
SJ was the starting 4 for a hot minute last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom