How do we fix recruiting? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

How do we fix recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll address the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. I know it's been brought up before in the past, but now after three years on the job, I think it's fair to ask: Since we aren't a faith-based university, are KO's strong religious beliefs and public display of those beliefs, hurting recruiting?
No.

Reaction Score
Spend some time around AAU basketball and you will find that a lot of the kids, and more importantly their parents, have pretty strong religious beliefs. My guess would be that there is absolutely zero chance that KO's personal beliefs have effected us negatively and are far more likely to be viewed as a positive.

There may not be a lot, but it's highly unlikely there is a zero chance. Any coach with strong religious convictions who promotes those convictions is bound to turn off some players. As is anyone with strong convictions in areas other than BB. Those recruits who do have those strong beliefs have plenty of faith-based schools to go to.

Reaction Score
I'll address the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. I know it's been brought up before in the past, but now after three years on the job, I think it's fair to ask: Since we aren't a faith-based university, are KO's strong religious beliefs and public display of those beliefs, hurting recruiting? Many top players from overseas and urban areas are Muslim and many other kids just aren't very religious. Are there enough top level player/ Christian kids like Purvis around to off-set losing players who don't share those same beliefs? Remember when we lost Abdul-Malik Abu (a Boston kid) to NC State and it was mentioned that he liked them because of the supportive Muslim community? By the way, he had a decent freshman year, 6 ppg, 4.5 rebounds. I'd take that off our bench.

It's an interesting point, and I'll give you props for bring up religion when it's typically an avoided topic. That said, I really can't imagine any recruit being so turned off by the coach's faith to the point they decide they don't want to come to a school solely because of that. It's not like he's a zealot reading scripture to the guys while they sit in a circle at halfcourt and simultaneously sprinkling them with holy water. Maybe he's a little outspoken about his faith but I don't see how that would affect anything.

Reaction Score
There may not be a lot, but it's highly unlikely there is a zero chance. Any coach with strong religious convictions who promotes those convictions is bound to turn off some players. As is anyone with strong convictions in areas other than BB. Those recruits who do have those strong beliefs have plenty of faith-based schools to go to.

It would be one thing if Ollie walked around handing out bibles and preaching to people, but that's not how he is. He's a normal, down to earth dude who happens to take his own faith pretty seriously. He will also motherf___ somebody who steps out of line. Sit near the bench or read his lips during a game.

Reaction Score
If he were trying to recruit atheists, it might be an issue.

Not sure why it would be a problem for his current profession, though.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'll address the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. I know it's been brought up before in the past, but now after three years on the job, I think it's fair to ask: Since we aren't a faith-based university, are KO's strong religious beliefs and public display of those beliefs, hurting recruiting? Many top players from overseas and urban areas are Muslim and many other kids just aren't very religious. Are there enough top level player/ Christian kids like Purvis around to off-set losing players who don't share those same beliefs? Remember when we lost Abdul-Malik Abu (a Boston kid) to NC State and it was mentioned that he liked them because of the supportive Muslim community? By the way, he had a decent freshman year, 6 ppg, 4.5 rebounds. I'd take that off our bench.
Although I don't believe his fanaticism of Christianity has necessarily caused us to lose out on recruits..... It certainly doesn't help us either going forward. Religion is a personal choice, and should have no place in state university athletics.

Reaction Score

THAT is the 800 pound gorilla in the room? What TF room are you in? Is everyone else in it high as well?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Although I don't believe his fanaticism of Christianity has necessarily caused us to lose out on recruits..... It certainly doesn't help us either going forward. Religion is a personal choice, and should have no place in state university athletics.

I'm sorry -- this line is insane and inane beyond anything that has ever been discussed here. No one here believes in separating church and state more than I, and no one is more sensitive about devout Christians using the platform of the state to impose their views on students than I. But there is zero -- duck*ING ZERO -- evidence or even speculation that KO does this.

So WTF is going on where people are somehow concerned that KO's personal religious beliefs have anything to do with this program.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Is that really what you think KO emphasizes in recruiting? Stop it. You're just stirring the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom