How are you UcMiami? | The Boneyard

How are you UcMiami?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The season is on the cusp, some OT topics are ripe and we haven't heard much from you. I for one miss your voice terribly. If you can please let us know how you're doing because I'm starting to worry.

Reaction Score
One of my favorites as well. Is something known to be wrong (my memory isn't what it once was), or is the thread just reflecting a long absence without a post? Certainly hope all is well.

Reaction Score
This is one of the great things about the Boneyard -- the concern members have for each other. Let's face it: Our membership skews to the ...umm...older end of the spectrum. Yeah, that's the ticket: The older end. So it's important that we check up on each other from time to time.

Anyway, if anyone knows UcMiami or is in touch, please let us know if all's well, as I'm sure we all hope.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Miami lives in the Storrs area. When did we last hear from him?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think Miami lives in the Storrs area. When did we last hear from him?
Been a while Mil. This is something that's been on my mind for weeks. I'm starting to worry.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hi All!
It has been a very 'interesting' and complex off-season for me which has included numerous trips to the Dana Farber in Boston and two operations. The good news is everything went really really really well. While the baseball size lump they removed was technically classified as a cancer, it was also technically classified as non-malignant, something that prior to this summer I and my two doctor friends would all have termed an oxymoron! It was also primarily located in my fatty tissue in a area far from major blood vessels, nerves, bone, or organs so the operations were very simple and the recovery was very easy and almost pain free. I sort of think of it as a more complicated liposuction! :eek:

All of that being said, the journey traveled from first poke, to final removal and identification was not exactly smooth and promotes some fairly heavy mental and emotional lifting. And some serious escapist behaviors!

So ... I have been self medicating with very interesting wines while plunging headlong into a kindle binge of trashy novel reading (which followed marathon sessions on netflix, acorn, and britbox.)

I have maintained my browsing habits which include daily stops at the boneyard (the Collier defection was a down day!) but have not been quite as obsessive and have found that, while the posters here on the BY remain some of the brightest and most articulate brains ever gather into one area since time immemorial, my own mind was somewhat otherwise engaged and I had little to say on the topics under review. Hopefully once the games begin again I will cast off my cocoon and emerge as witty as ever! :rolleyes::cool:

I appreciate the kind words and posts above.

FYI - the Dana Farber and all the employees I interacted with there are truly impressive. An amazing organization!

Reaction Score
So good to hear the great results. Now that you have a new lease on life, it's time to actually do all those things you thought you wouldn't have time to fix during the uncertain, scary times.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hi All!
It has been a very 'interesting' and complex off-season for me which has included numerous trips to the Dana Farber in Boston and two operations. The good news is everything went really really really well. While the baseball size lump they removed was technically classified as a cancer, it was also technically classified as non-malignant, something that prior to this summer I and my two doctor friends would all have termed an oxymoron! It was also primarily located in my fatty tissue in a area far from major blood vessels, nerves, bone, or organs so the operations were very simple and the recovery was very easy and almost pain free. I sort of think of it as a more complicated liposuction! :eek:

All of that being said, the journey traveled from first poke, to final removal and identification was not exactly smooth and promotes some fairly heavy mental and emotional lifting. And some serious escapist behaviors!

So ... I have been self medicating with very interesting wines while plunging headlong into a kindle binge of trashy novel reading (which followed marathon sessions on netflix, acorn, and britbox.)

I have maintained my browsing habits which include daily stops at the boneyard (the Collier defection was a down day!) but have not been quite as obsessive and have found that, while the posters here on the BY remain some of the brightest and most articulate brains ever gather into one area since time immemorial, my own mind was somewhat otherwise engaged and I had little to say on the topics under review. Hopefully once the games begin again I will cast off my cocoon and emerge as witty as ever! :rolleyes::cool:

FYI - the Dana Farber and all the employees I interacted with there are truly impressive. An amazing organization!
My biggest smile of the day!

I couldn't be happier that your surgery and recovery have been such a success. I'm also glad you've been watching Netflix (Mindhunter was a little TV nugget which I enjoyed a lot). I am kind of concerned that Acorn is on your list. Now is that the food services or for landscaping? I mean for me Britbox ended with Lennox Lewis. Most frankly the only wine I've been enjoying is my own, concerning the lack of information on 2018 recruits and how practice is going. As for self medicating my indulgence doesn't go further than Starbucks. I had a quintuple today. I think I chewed off my tongue.

When you return to us I know you'll bring it so hurry your delay. Not an oxymoron but a true mixed metaphor.

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
So ... I have been self medicating with very interesting wines while plunging headlong into a kindle binge of trashy novel reading
Trashy novels on Kindle?

Man after my own heart.

DeLeo? Leadbeater? Lukeman?

Battles? Kane? Wood?

I buy cargo pants with a pocket so I'm never without a trashy novel.

borders-dumpster-books.jpg

JordyG

Reaction Score
Trashy novels on Kindle?

Man after my own heart.

DeLeo? Leadbeater? Lukeman?

Battles? Kane? Wood?

I buy cargo pants with a pocket so I'm never without a trashy novel.

borders-dumpster-books.jpg
If those are your cargo pants you need to seriously reconsider your fortune in life. That in lieu of a fire.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hi All!

Glad to hear you are doing ok now. Sounds a bit of a rough summer. At least now you are all set for the season. Hopefully you will find something here interesting enough and can get back to your real job, posting on the BY. :cool:

Reaction Score
Sure made my day as well (that you're fine, now). What a rough and scary time. So sorry that you had to go through it.

I know so many (not all, and no one can be in another's shoes) of those feelings, esp. when going to a great, but big and foreboding hospital: the worried look at all the other sick or distressed people, the realization that now you are one of them, the hope/belief that you are getting the best care, etc. Hospitals, as Foucault told us, are places that strip you of all your personal agency and power. But if they make you "better," to heck with Foucault. You are grateful for life for your life.

We share the same self-medicating predilections . Don't know your taste in wine, but I'm guessing you might really like this British spymaster novelist (2nd best selling author on British Amazon Kindle), Stephen Leather. Start with the Spider Shepherd vol. 1 and go forward (not a spy until vol 3). First one is just a bit contrived, but the writing improves and improves, and he is really good. I found him because he wrote the novel "The Chinaman" on which the current "The Foreigner" movie is based. It's a very good (not fantastic, but well worth the read) stand alone novel.

First exhibition game Nov. 1 Get the old mojo working, UcMiami. We're counting on your analysis!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hmm. The intent was to depict "trashy" novels, not my pants.

Guess my vaunted clarity of expression has taken a hit.

To say nothing of my svelte image.
Don't worry. The resultant fire, as I said, will clear all that stuff up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great news, UCMiami!

You’re in the right place for serious escapist behavior. What the Huskies will do this season is unreal. When they add Williams, Nelson-Ododa, Macbegor, Amihere, Boston, and Brunelle to the roster, it will be beyond your wildest dreams. :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Great news, UCMiami!

You’re in the right place for serious escapist behavior. What the Huskies will do this season is unreal. When they add Williams, Nelson-Ododa, Macbegor, Amihere, Boston, and Brunelle to the roster, it will be beyond your wildest dreams. :)
And the rest of WCBB becomes the plot of a trashy novel.

Reaction Score
Sure made my day as well (that you're fine, now). What a rough and scary time. So sorry that you had to go through it.

I know so many (not all, and no one can be in another's shoes) of those feelings, esp. when going to a great, but big and foreboding hospital: the worried look at all the other sick or distressed people, the realization that now you are one of them, the hope/belief that you are getting the best care, etc. Hospitals, as Foucault told us, are places that strip you of all your personal agency and power. But if they make you "better," to heck with Foucault. You are grateful for life for your life.

We share the same self-medicating predilections . Don't know your taste in wine, but I'm guessing you might really like this British spymaster novelist (2nd best selling author on British Amazon Kindle), Stephen Leather. Start with the Spider Shepherd vol. 1 and go forward (not a spy until vol 3). First one is just a bit contrived, but the writing improves and improves, and he is really good. I found him because he wrote the novel "The Chinaman" on which the current "The Foreigner" movie is based. It's a very good (not fantastic, but well worth the read) stand alone novel.

First exhibition game Nov. 1 Get the old mojo working, UcMiami. We're counting on your analysis!
When my beloved bride worked at Johns Hopkins she said "you do not want to be an interesting patient in a world class hospital." Yes, the care is fantastic, but the reason you are there is often because you have something really nasty going on.

Reaction Score
Hi All!

Wishing you all the best!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom