Houston vs Memphis | The Boneyard

Houston vs Memphis

Reaction Score
crazy shot.

for whatever reason, lester quinones might be my least favorite player in cbb. bricked the front end of a 1-and-1 before airballing a three with 8 seconds left. memphis was lucky to tie it off an offensive rebound.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Sure was. WI / Iowa coming down to the wire, too.

Reaction Score
Penny Hardaway reminds me so much of Kevin Ollie. I feel like it’s the exact same situation. A former NBA player who brings in great recruits but just can’t seem to convert on the floor. Looking like Memphis will need to win the AAC tourney to get in.

Reaction Score
Penny Hardaway reminds me so much of Kevin Ollie. I feel like it’s the exact same situation. A former NBA player who brings in great recruits but just can’t seem to convert on the floor. Looking like Memphis will need to win the AAC tourney to get in.
i mean, ollie won it all and penny isn't even going to make the tournament...

Reaction Score
i mean, ollie won it all and penny isn't even going to make the tournament...
Should have been more specific. I was talking about Ollie in his later years at UConn. Not when he was getting a 4th banner. The year when we were preseason raked 18th with all these great recruits and then lost back to back Wagner and Northeastern. If you look at the recruits Memphis is in the mix with, it’s a crazy amount of 5 and 4 star players, and yet they can’t even make the tourney. Not taking away anything from KO that was accomplished in 2014.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
lots of corn-fed white guys in this WI / Iowa game ;)

Reaction Score
crazy shot.

for whatever reason, lester quinones might be my least favorite player in cbb. bricked the front end of a 1-and-1 before airballing a three with 8 seconds left. memphis was lucky to tie it off an offensive rebound.
What’s that guitar strumming after made three all about? A player from Campbell Winthrop game did something similar

Reaction Score
What’s that guitar strumming after made three all about? A player from Campbell Winthrop game did something similar
I think the first time I saw it was in the Summer Olympics in Sydney. I want to say that when asked about an upcoming relay race, a member of the men's US swim team said they were going to smash the Australians like a guitar. After the Australians won they did the air guitar just like Quinones was simulating today.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
crazy shot.

We were involved with him fairly heavily right after Hurley was hired.

Reaction Score
Should have been more specific. I was talking about Ollie in his later years at UConn. Not when he was getting a 4th banner. The year when we were preseason raked 18th with all these great recruits and then lost back to back Wagner and Northeastern. If you look at the recruits Memphis is in the mix with, it’s a crazy amount of 5 and 4 star players, and yet they can’t even make the tourney. Not taking away anything from KO that was accomplished in 2014.
The college atmosphere is so different than the NBA. Patrick Ewing is struggling too. If I was an AD I would always hire a coach with a lot of college level and potentially high school level coaching experience. They are still kids and managing a program full of kids takes a different skill set than managing an NBA team full of adults making millions. It’s just a different environment.
I honestly think Ollie could have made a better NBA Coach than a college coach. He was much more familiar with that environment.

Reaction Score
The college atmosphere is so different than the NBA. Patrick Ewing is struggling too. If I was an AD I would always hire a coach with a lot of college level and potentially high school level coaching experience. They are still kids and managing a program full of kids takes a different skill set than managing an NBA team full of adults making millions. It’s just a different environment.
I honestly think Ollie could have made a better NBA Coach than a college coach. He was much more familiar with that environment.
100% true. Could not agree more. If you look at the way Penny runs his offense, it very much looks like he is trying to coach an NBA team. Just doesn’t exactly translate to this level. Both would be better suited at that level.

Reaction Score
Haven't been following Memphis too much but it seems Lester Quinones has regressed from freshman to sophomore years? That's not a good look for Penny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom