Hoops Weiss doesn't believe Cuse - ACC is a good fit. | The Boneyard

Hoops Weiss doesn't believe Cuse - ACC is a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's a mistake that has to be made. Syracuse (and UConn) has accomplished too much to gladly accept membership in a conference filled with urban commuter schools and midmajors. I do love the notion that Cuse was a backwater regional power in the 70's, which is closer to the truth than most of their fans would admit.

Reaction Score
He makes sense. Plus they are also joining a conference that may look different when they get on board. The ACC is the next least stable BCS conference, and is second from the bottom in tv revenue per school, a deal they just locked in.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ament-madison-square-garden-article-1.1036712

Great article until he starts talking about the Big East making some last ditch (and it would smack of desperation imo) effort to keep them in the fold. With Temple,Memphis,Houston and San Diego State coming in I'm not so sure we lose(with the obvious exception of the historical rivalries with Pitt and the Cuse) all that much if anything at all in basketball. Yeah, it will take some time to get used to; but good riddance to Syracuse and Pitt. They made their bed........ And,once again, congrats to Cincinnati for keeping those orange traitors from getting their hands on the BE trophy. Hopefully the Cuse will be gone next year. And we were able to send West Virginia packing to the Big 12 with a loss in the BE Tournament. So it is all good! :)

GO HUSKIES!!! TIME TO GO DANCIN'!!!

Reaction Score
If the ACC falls apart (???) they'll be losing scrub basketball schools and gaining good basketball schools. So Clemson or VT or Florida St. will leave. So what? On the basketball side, they'll keep all the good schools and hopefully add a UConn. Why would anyone play basketball anywhere else?

Duke, UNC, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Georgia Tech. That is an amazing amount of firepower.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With Temple,Memphis,Houston and San Diego State coming in I'm not so sure we lose(with the obvious exception of the historical rivalries with Pitt and the Cuse) all that much if anything at all in basketball.

First, San Diego State is coming in for football only.

Second, are you duck*ing insane?

Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia > Temple, Memphis, Houston

Reaction Score
If the ACC falls apart (???) they'll be losing scrub basketball schools and gaining good basketball schools. So Clemson or VT or Florida St. will leave. So what? On the basketball side, they'll keep all the good schools and hopefully add a UConn. Why would anyone play basketball anywhere else?

Duke, UNC, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Georgia Tech. That is an amazing amount of firepower.
This is what I've been hoping for. I don't really care about football nearly as much as I do basketball. I root for the UConn football team, in part, because they're success makes the program more marketable to other conferences.

Duke, UNC, UConn and Syracuse is the best 1-4 in any league, anywhere (Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, and either Michigan or Wisconsin is the next closest--and really only IU and MSU are on par with those 4).

Maryland will be back. They've got a rich recruiting area, and they just need the right coach. Before Gary Williams died and was kept the coach Weekend at Bernie's style, they had a stretch from 1993-4 to 2003-4 where they won a NC, went to a Final Four, won a couple of ACC titles, and went to 5 sweet 16s without missing the NCAAs once. That can and will be regular again.

With the right coach, Wake Forest has been a very good regular season team a la Pitt. They did it with Duncan, Howard, and Paul.

NC State has a great tradition and has been pulling in some really good recruits recently.

Georgia Tech has the ability to be quite good, and they have a Final Four in the last 10 years (as opposed to much of the BE).

Virginia is Virginia. They should be good, but haven't been.

Regardless, I think upstater makes some good points. The ACC will never be SEC, B1G, BXII, or Pac-12 level good on football. So than make yourself completely indispensable in something else.

Reaction Score
First, YOU are not 6'6" 250. (more like 6'1" 170).

And there is nothing inconsistent in saying that Syracuse loses a lot by going to the ACC; but they do gain a whole lotta money & stability. It won't be the same without MSG for them (and BC has sunk ... for certain). I see Swofford's statement that they will play the ACC tourney at MSG as completely ballsy & totally ridiculous. They won't leave Greensboro for more than a year.

It does feel totally different thinking about Cincy v Louisville on Championship night. But ... they both are deserving. And traditional BE programs - Seton Hall, PC, St. John's, Georgetown all are on the upswing. I'm not gonna cry over not having the Orange ... and Pitt can go swirl around a freakin' toilet.

PS: I remember WHEN St. Bonaventure was dominant over SU in central NY. Far better team with Billy Kahlbaugh & Bob Lanier. Cause I am older than YOU.

Reaction Score
First, San Diego State is coming in for football only.

Second, are you duck*ing insane?

Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia > Temple, Memphis, Houston

My bad re: San Diego State. Thought they were coming for hoops as well. And maybe I am insane but I am so upset that football(a sport I could give two s**ts about) money has done this to the Big East that I am perfectly willing to give the new schools a chance to help the Big East re-invent itself. What has the ACC done for the sports well being of BCU,Virginia Tech and Miami? Now, while West Virginia's move to the Big 12 may not be a bad thing for them, I think Pitt and the Cuse have shot themselves in the foot especially with the disruption to their fan base; and maybe even to recruiting. So yeah, I'll take Temple,Memphis and Houston with no hesitation. If that's insane so be it. :confused:;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Losing MSG may put a small dent in Cuse's program but they won't be as damaged by this as Pitt will be (Pitt also will need to learn how to play finesse hoops in order to survive in their new conference) or BC was.

I wouldn't put too much value in Hoops Weiss' opinion as he still believes LaSalle is the equal of the other three non Ivy Big Five schools and a bucket of subway tokens can cover your recruiting budget at St John's. His mind is still stuck in 1977.

Reaction Score
What a great article, I have not seen that many articles on what a HUGE mistake the Cuse to Tobacco road move was. The Cuse Board of Trustees must be brain dead - they join the ACC to follow the experience of BCU?

If a private back room deal could be made to keep Syracuse in the BE I would support it 110%. And in 2 years all would forget that Cuse tried to leave. Trade RU for Cuse straight up - no penalty fees enforced by either league. Or to make Fishy happy trade Temple and a big fat check for Cuse.

Reaction Score
The only move I understand is WVU. WVU actually has a decent football program. Football makes more money than basketball. To see them move to a football conference, that has decent basketball as well, makes sense. Moving from the Big East to ACC will do nothing for either Pitts or Syracuse's football programs. Hell,at least the Big East is trying to bring in some schools that have been good in football in the last couple of years. The ACC isn't doing anything. The basketball move from the Big East to ACC is just a lateral move at best. They could be one of the top in the Big East at basketball. At worst, they can become the little brothers of UNC and Duke who will continue to dominate the ACC.

Reaction Score
ACC basketball is all about tobacco road and nothing else matters. Anyone who doesn't understand this just doesn't understand ACC basketball. Cuse will learn this the hard way. I hope Uconn never makes this move and I am a long time Uconn fan that grew up is Storrs and lives on Tobacco road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom