HOOPGURLZ | The Boneyard

HOOPGURLZ

Reaction Score
Has HOOPGURLZ updated their recruitment lists yet ? I'm not checking it again. If they haven't please send a message to ESPN to do so.

Thank You.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has HOOPGURLZ updated their recruitment lists yet ?
It depends what you mean by "update". They have not changed any rankings-move players up or down as far as I can tell. They have updated some verbal commitments and not others. For example, Dalayah Daniels commitment to Cal is reflected but Aaliyah Edwards commitment UCONN is not. I believe both of those verbals happened around the same time.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It depends what you mean by "update". They have not changed any rankings-move players up or down as far as I can tell.

The 2020 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings (espnW 100) are prepared by Dan Olson (Collegiate Girls Basketball Report). It is not a full-time ESPN employee who does the evaluations or updates the rankings (whereas the boys' basketball recruiting section of ESPN has multiple full-time employees who handle evaluations, rankings, updates, stories, etc.).

Dan Olson last updated his rankings for espnW as of September 16, 2019. As an example of that update, Duke commitment Vanessa DeJesus moved from #57 in the prior rankings to #37 in the updated ones. And before that, Olson provided updated rankings around June 20, 2019 (when DeJesus moved from #58 to #57).

In other words, in the last four months, there have been two comprehensive updates to the individual player rankings for the 2020 class to the 2020 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings (espnW 100).

They have updated some verbal commitments and not others. For example, Dalayah Daniels commitment to Cal is reflected but Aaliyah Edwards commitment UCONN is not. I believe both of those verbals happened around the same time.

On his own (subscription) site, Olson updates his rankings constantly. But if ESPN/espnW is not paying for updated rankings or for Olson to monitor the site and submit updates to commitments, I understand why it is not being consistently updated.

It is curious, however, that some updates are listed (e.g., Dalayah Daniels) but not others (Aaliyah Edwards), so I am curious if one of ESPN's women's basketball analysts (or their editor) did the updates or if Olson did.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dan Olson last updated his rankings for espnW as of September 16, 2019. As an example of that update, Duke commitment Vanessa DeJesus moved from #57 in the prior rankings to #37 in the updated ones. And before that, Olson provided updated rankings around June 20, 2019 (when DeJesus moved from #58 to #57).

In other words, in the last four months, there have been two comprehensive updates to the individual player rankings for the 2020 class to the 2020 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings (espnW 100).

They've been updated more than that because Edwards was put onto his list for the first time in May at #14 before being moved down to #22 in another update and then #26 in a third.

But those are ranking re-shufflings, not school commitment updates which are done regularly.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They've been updated more than that because Edwards was put onto his list for the first time in May at #14 before being moved down to #22 in another update and then #26 in a third.

But those are ranking re-shufflings, not school commitment updates which are done regularly.

FWIW, Maddy Westbeld verbally committed to Notre Dame on Sunday, Oct. 20 and it was notated within a few days. Alasia Hayes committed around Oct. 1st and is also entered as an ND commit.

Reaction Score
So Eaton to Arkansas was updated almost immediately tonight! Hmm..

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And finally! Hoopgurlz figured out where Edwards is going to college next year. Fancy that. Only took a week....

Now if someone would just explain to Olsen that she's much better than the 26th player in the class....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
On the other hand, Prospects Nation has an article on new verbals that came out yesterday---no mention of Edwards. They also gave Elauna Eaton her own article.

Reaction Score
Thats true. All people have to do for information is check out Womens Basketball forums. You get the news there first. In less what people are upset about would be thinking that omitting that sort of information is a sign of disrespect to the player or school they are attending.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to ask.... why is everyone up in arms about this?? What’s the big deal??
:eek: Oh' come on, there is plenty of useless stuff tied to this:
1) #1 Recruiting Class Trophy awarded annually.
2) Bragging rights so some can get to say I told you she was overrated
3) Yet more proof that people disrespect UCONN and their recruits
4) Definitive proof that the rankings are subjective and done by human beings
5) Definitive proof a year from now when a kid transfers that this school was "a bad fit"
6) Yet another opportunity that some schools like TN, TX, UCLA will continue to underachieve regardless of how many HS AA they recruit.
7) It completes the analysis of the existing rosters to support these quantifiable extract statements:
A) Too many guards
B) Not enough height
C) Guards win championships
D) Clearly they have to go to a double post offense
E) Clearly they have to run 3 guard offense now
F) Too many foreign players-do they all even speak English?
G) Not enough foreign players-is Canada really a foreign country?
H) If you squint hard enough she might be another Stewie
I) There is not enough minutes to go around that's going to lead to that thing we are not supposed to talk about.
J) Why can't I just add the average minutes per game and get exactly 200 min per game anyway?
K) Is she a guard or a wing?
L) Is she a F or post?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:eek: Oh' come on, there is plenty of useless stuff tied to this:
1) #1 Recruiting Class Trophy awarded annually.
2) Bragging rights so some can get to say I told you she was overrated
3) Yet more proof that people disrespect UCONN and their recruits
4) Definitive proof that the rankings are subjective and done by human beings
5) Definitive proof a year from now when a kid transfers that this school was "a bad fit"
6) Yet another opportunity that some schools like TN, TX, UCLA will continue to underachieve regardless of how many HS AA they recruit.
7) It completes the analysis of the existing rosters to support these quantifiable extract statements:
A) Too many guards
B) Not enough height
C) Guards win championships
D) Clearly they have to go to a double post offense
E) Clearly they have to run 3 guard offense now
F) Too many foreign players-do they all even speak English?
G) Not enough foreign players-is Canada really a foreign country?
H) If you squint hard enough she might be another Stewie
I) There is not enough minutes to go around that going to lead to that thing we are not supposed to talk about.
J) Why can't I just add the average minutes per game and get exactly 200 min per game anyway?
K) Is she a guard or a wing?
L) Is she a F or post?

Lol....thanks for clearing that up

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz is a great site mostly because it is one of the only major places on the internet where you can get an idea of who the top young women high school players are. It gives you a fairly clear idea of their capabilities and a brief history of what they have done in high school from their freshman year on. Uconn has recruited very few players who have not been listed on Hoopgurlz.

Reaction Score
You all might have a point bc Olsen posted his writeup on Reese committment within minutes last night of her announcement & updated his rankings. He did update Edwards too & others but not sure when. Did Olsen hv writeups on the other UConn 2020 commits?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom