Holly Warlick - She's Gone | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick - She's Gone

Reaction Score
"Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced Wednesday that Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties."

Wow!! They didn't even give her a chance to resign. Didn't even give her the opportunity to negotiate a face-saving withdrawal! After all those years of service to the UT WCBB program, they just went in and canned her butt. And then they announced that a "national search" was already under way. In other words, they'd begun looking for a replacement even before they fired her!

Cold! Really cold! She underperformed, she wasn't cut out to be a head coach, and it was time to let her go. But Tennessee should have done this with a little bit of class. Just a little!

Of is that asking too much of Tennessee?
Holly has gotten plenty of respect and the benefit of the doubt for over 7 years. She got a contract extension last year after losing in the second round for the second straight year. She hasn't gotten it done, and in her last press conference, she still said she wanted to be the coach. UT had no choice but to fire her. Just because you're a Vol for life doesn't exclude you from the consequences of bringing a great program to its lowest point. She deserves criticism and the firing, but I agree that she doesn't deserve ridicule.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's the best, but it's pretty darn good.
As was pointed out above: Resources, Conference all add an advantage to a new Coach at ND than Uconn. The BE and the residual effect allowed a bit of coasting and accept it a bit of parity in WCBB, AAC, and other factors have hurt UConn's former recruiting Image. The loss of Geno will, along with the above, make Uconn a much harder sell for a new coach. Unless things change selling Uconn to a top coach may be a hard sell.
I'm sorry for Holly, happy for UT. Sad for me because now I and a million others must find another to trample regularly.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
1553718936102.png

Reaction Score
For all we know, Holly refused to budge, because any negotiated alternative would risk her guarantees. Unless and until we know all sides of the story, it's hard to draw a conclusion one way or the other.

I think the idea of negotiating is that you maker her "whole", as they say, and give her a graceful exit. Like permit her to go before the mic's and say she's decided to step down. Win-win, as the saying goes.

I would be surprised if she were given that opportunity and she dug in her heels. That wouldn't have made sense.

Reaction Score
If you watched her press conference after the lost to UCLA she hinted at she wasn't going to resign. And that they going have fire her, that’s what I got out of it.
I think what Fairfield Fan was trying to say is they could have quitted her instead of firing her. Fulmer could have forced her to resign instead of just giving her the boot. Now, it is possible that they did offer her that opportunity before that last press conference where she said it was not up to her if she returned next year, and firing her today was the last resort. Certainly feels like the school determined a different direction was needed before that tourney loss to UCLA who has the opportunity to also end UConn's season in two days.

Reaction Score
Not really sure. UCLA was never the same after Wooden left. And though it's a top sports school, the basketball coaching position was never again the great position it was during Wooden's tenure.

Tennessee today is just one more SEC program that's been underperforming. Fan base, yes. But so, too, does LSU and other schools have fan bases.

Top coaches should view UT with a very wary eye.
In my opinion the shine of Tennessee has not worn off. As evidence I point to top recruits continuing to go there. Say what you want, but it's not simply just another SEC program. It's one of the founding members of the modern era of WCBB. Some of the best ever in the game have played there, and recruits continue to want to be a part of that legacy. I don't think the UCLA comparison is a fair one. Different sport, different era, different environment, etc.

Reaction Score
I think the UCLA comparisons are incorrect. UT is still part of the second most relevant conference in WCBB, and recruiting in the SEC has improved overall. UT is still attractive to a wide swath of top recruits...and with a new coach, that should only increase. The history of UT is unprecedented (yes I know UConn has more championships, but I'm a homer). UT's home court is named after a women's coach, and there's a statue of Pat Summitt in front of the arena. Few to none women's programs can claim these things. Combine that with the money the SEC brings...sorry but UT is clearly the top job in WCBB.

Reaction Score
it's time to get someone new and bring the Lady Vols back into the national spotlight

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
"Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced Wednesday that Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties."

Wow!! They didn't even give her a chance to resign. Didn't even give her the opportunity to negotiate a face-saving withdrawal! After all those years of service to the UT WCBB program, they just went in and canned her butt. And then they announced that a "national search" was already under way. In other words, they'd begun looking for a replacement even before they fired her!

Cold! Really cold! She underperformed, she wasn't cut out to be a head coach, and it was time to let her go. But Tennessee should have done this with a little bit of class. Just a little!

Of is that asking too much of Tennessee?

I'm sure they gave her the option to resign had she wanted to. She's friends with Fulmer and has been at UT for 35+ years. Holly is honestly smart for not opting to step down so she likely gets a good sum of money from a buyout.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
With all of the talk about Jeff Walz as the next HC of the LV’s (He did not deny the rumors when given the opportunity), I wonder if it will affect the Louisville team in the Albany Regional.

I'm sure it will to an extent. I think it played a big factor at Duke in 2007 when GG was rumored to be the top Texas candidate and Duke ended up losing in the Sweet 16 as the #1 overall seed.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Tweet from Tony Basilio, Knoxville radio host:

Louisville"s Jeff Walz is campaigning like a mad man behind the scenes for the Lady Vols job.

wowsa!
Like this Tweet

If true, I think it's very poor form to be campaigning behind the scenes when your team is still in the Sweet 16. Just reeks of being somewhat slimy IMO. If he's a top candidate for the job, he'll still be considered after the season is done in 11 days. I personally have very mixed feelings about Walz...I don't love his personality and his coaching success is overhyped IMO. Louisville has been a streaky program under him until the past 2 years.

Reaction Score
Rumor has it: Jeff Walz
my guess is Kelly Jolly UT Alumni with head coaching experiences. Actively coaching Missouri State which is still in the tournament facing stanford this weekend. IMHO not likely to beat them so by later next week UT can approach Jolly with an offer...just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
FWIW:
While am no fan of the Lady Vols, Pat, or Holly, I think that this sends a bad message to the future head coach at UT. The inmates are running the asylum. When a player very publicly complains about the coach, and the coach is quickly dismissed, I would have to think hard about being the next HC...JMO

Reaction Score
my guess is Kelly Jolly UT Alumni with head coaching experiences. Actively coaching Missouri State which is still in the tournament facing stanford this weekend. IMHO not likely to beat them so by later next week UT can approach Jolly with an offer...just my thoughts.
+1

Reaction Score
Since none of us were in the room, when Holly and Phil met, all we can do is speculate.....

When holly cried, I'm sure she did, Phil would have comforted her.....I can't help but think he would have set down beside her to ease the blow....They have been close friends for many years, and still will be...

I've been fortunate enough to know Phil, and he is always a gentlemen...This had to be very, very, hard for him to do...

He will get someone of quality to bring back the Lady Vols legend to life again....Let it be written, let it be so.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
FWIW:
While am no fan of the Lady Vols, Pat, or Holly, I think that this sends a bad message to the future head coach at UT. The inmates are running the asylum. When a player very publicly complains about the coach, and the coach is quickly dismissed, I would have to think hard about being the next HC...JMO

Ordinarily, I would agree.
But this is a a unique situ.
Perhaps the singularly most incompetent coach in living memory
destroying the careers of real talents who agreed to play in the storied program.
No systems put into place at either end of the court.
I'm surprised no one spoke out earlier.
Good on Elvina for delivering the much-needed stick in the heart.
I would not be surprised for the horror stories to soon start.

Reaction Score
FWIW:
I don't think this is true. I think the decision to get rid of Holly was made before the NCAA tourney.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You gonna see some former players apply for the job as well as the Tenn brass looking for a good coach like Waltz who is on their list. Tenn spends alot of money on the LV's and they were loosing their fan base. Theyve got to get their fan base back to bring in monies to support the high LV budget.

Reaction Score
>>>lly Jolly UT Alumn
She just made it to the sweet 16 w/ Mo
Young coach with some relevant accomplishments.
otherwise....
Shea Ralph?
I'm not certain an outsider would be greeted with open arms.

Reaction Score
I think what Fairfield Fan was trying to say is they could have quitted her instead of firing her. Fulmer could have forced her to resign instead of just giving her the boot. Now, it is possible that they did offer her that opportunity before that last press conference where she said it was not up to her if she returned next year, and firing her today was the last resort. Certainly feels like the school determined a different direction was needed before that tourney loss to UCLA who has the opportunity to also end UConn's season in two days.
Fulmer wasnt going to force Holly to resign. Their relationship is too good for that to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom