History of The Boneyard | The Boneyard

History of The Boneyard

Reaction Score
I was wondering about the history of the Boneyard. Which sport started first?

Are you, HuskyNan, the first and only moderator of the women's site?

I'm not exactly sure how I first stumbled upon this site, but I didn't pay too close attention until your avatar became Anya Taylor-Joy. Now I notice when you change it and am often wondering who they are.
32.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I'm not exactly sure how I first stumbled upon this site, but I didn't pay too close attention until your avatar became Anya Taylor-Joy. Now I notice when you change it and am often wondering who they are.
32.png
A belated welcome to you @SalinasV

I came to the Boneyard in 1994, a few months after my oldest son was born. I was home bound with the baby and really tired in the early days, too tired to change the channel after NOVA ended on CPTV, the local PBS station, and the Huskies came on. Even my husband was captivated by the likable group. We picked a good time to start watching the team because that was UConn’s first undefeated season.

Being house bound, I searched the Internet for info on the team during nap time and came across a mail list which kept mentioning the Boneyard. When I found the board, it was one board for all UConn sports, which was very interesting. The main sport was men’s hoops - the women game mostly got the equivalent of a pat on a head, “that’s cute” kind of attitude from the men’s fans, and the football was division I-A (Skip Holtz was coach) but got little attention from the board at that time.

Anywho, we know what happened in 1995, then again in 2000. The women’s team fans admittedly started to get kind of obnoxious and the men’s team fans were a lot less tolerant of women’s team posts so the board split in 2001 and I was asked to become moderator. Two others, @Biff and @JS, were also named moderators and still are to this day. The Boneyard bounced around to various sites until 2011 when we landed here. It seems to have stuck.

As for my avatars, a long time ago, on a server far, far away I kept a signature line that was cartoons of Maxine as my on line alter ego but this site won’t support them so I use my avatar to showcase strong, indomitable women. The current avatar is Joanna Constantine, that’s the character name, from my new favorite Netflix series, The Sandman.

Below Maxine is a little more on the history from a previous thread.

614B80BB-0BB3-4DBF-82A9-C400329745D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A belated welcome to you @SalinasV

I came to the Boneyard in 1994, a few months after my oldest son was born. I was home bound with the baby and really tired in the early days, too tired to change the channel after NOVA ended on CPTV, the local PBS station, and the Huskies came on. Even my husband was captivated by the likable group. We picked a good time to start watching the team because that was UConn’s first undefeated season.

Being house bound, I searched the Internet for info on the team during nap time and came across a mail list which kept mentioning the Boneyard. When I found the board, it was one board for all UConn sports, which was very interesting. The main sport was men’s hoops - the women game mostly got the equivalent of a pat on a head, “that’s cute” kind of attitude from the men’s fans, and the football was division I-A (Skip Holtz was coach) but got little attention from the board at that time.

Anywho, we know what happened in 1995, then again in 2000. The women’s team fans admittedly started to get kind of obnoxious and the men’s team fans were a lot less tolerant of women’s team posts so the board split in 2001 and I was asked to become moderator. Two others, @Biff and @JS, were also named moderators and still are to this day. The Boneyard bounced around to various sites until 2011 when we landed here. It seems to have stuck.

As for my avatars, a long time ago, on a server far, far away I kept a signature line that was cartoons of Maxine as my on line alter ego but this site won’t support them so I use my avatar to showcase strong, indomitable women. The current avatar is Joanna Constantine, that’s the character name, from my new favorite Netflix series, The Sandman.

Below Maxine is a little more on the history from a previous thread.

View attachment 88772

Thanks. Wow, so you've been a fan, then the moderator since the beginning! Cool.

I've been following the women's game since Delta State won their third straight National Championship. The 11 AIAW Champions aren't really recognized, as they didn't have the NCAA brand. Kim Mulkey won an AIAW Championship one year and a NCAA the following year as a player.

And I'm also a fan of Maxine. And Nicole Hollander.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

32.png
Current avatar is actress Jenna Coleman who shot into view as Queen Victoria on Masterpiece Theater series "Victoria". Great choice by HN

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks. Wow, so you've been a fan, then the moderator since the beginning! Cool.

I've been following the women's game since Delta State won their third straight National Championship. The 11 AIAW Champions aren't really recognized, as they didn't have the NCAA brand. Kim Mulkey won an AIAW Championship one year and a NCAA the following year as a player.

And I'm also a fan of Maxine. And Nicole Hollander.
Someone else we know won an AIAW championship in 1982 - Chris Dailey

1123FB58-CBF7-425D-BD3D-E0B15E508EA0.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom