High Water Mark | The Boneyard

High Water Mark

Reaction Score
As I sit here after watching the parade of cupcakes followed by convincing wins over 3 good teams, I must conclude that Coach Hurley and his staff have done a tremendous job of assembling, preparing and motivating this squad. I think any of us would be hard pressed to find a happier time as a UConn fan since the 2014 National Championship. Our current AP ranking at #8 reflects that.

Some random thoughts and observations that fuel my optimism going forward.

Andre Jackson impacts the game constantly. His hustle alone last night HAD to result in at least 3 extra possessions for UConn, and I'm sure I am being conservative using that number.

I'm amazed by how little we lose when Clingan comes in for Sanogo. It seems that Clingan constantly impacts the game when he is in there. They are very different players, but both highly effective. One more thing, Clingan totally messes with the other team's head in terms of them taking shots in the lane. I know I can't prove it, but I know that the other teams shooting percentage goes down when he is in the game because they are very mindful of the fact that he is in there.

Karaban is so polished and poised for a freshman. The type of guy that very efficiently plays his role and makes winning plays. It seemed like while they were complimenting him on one good play, he would already be making the next one. That's a pretty great observation to be able to make about a freshman in his eighth game.

Joey C. Instant offense and hits some tough shots. What a great and underrated addition!

Newton: quiet leader. Hits important shots to stop opposing runs and gets to the line often. Those two qualities alone make him extremely valuable. Love having him as a Husky.

Hawkins is just scratching the surface. I won't be surprised when he puts up 20 something including 5 threes. I love how amped he got when he made a big block. He is young and still has some development ahead of him but he seems like a great kid who works hard and he has a wonderful toolbox to work with.

Diarra: came in with the reputation as a guy who steps up and hits big shots. That shot he hit going into halftime last night was Exhibit A. Another real nice addition to the squad.

Alleyne: quality player, seems to have a little swagger, but is still searching for his role.

This team is pretty special. Hoping Samson returns soon and participates in what is shaping up to be a great season.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We've got a great recruiting class coming in next year. Highlighted by Stephen Castle.

Yup, these are the good old days.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a great feeling to be ascendant.

The biggest surprise for me has been Joey California. He's instant offense but he's also a heady player. He's not just hanging out in a corner (which, frankly, would have been enough to earn minutes on most of our recent teams).

I've also been pleasantly surprised by Clingan. I'm not surprised he's capable of it, just this early and against top competition. I guess I could say the same for Karaban. These guys don't look like freshmen.

Newton's just what I hoped he would be. Diarra has impressed me more than Alleyne.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom