Hey Chefs! Got the Ooni Karu 12 for Fathers Day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hey Chefs! Got the Ooni Karu 12 for Fathers Day

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm going to take a whiz in the punchbowl.

I've had the Ooni Fyre for 2 years now and hate it. We live in the pizza capital of the world. All the prep and work to make pizza at home is a royal PITA when there are spots all over this state that you or I simply will never outdo.

But have fun figuring it out....
100% agree. I enjoy playing around in the kitchen, watch a lot of cooking videos, and don’t necessarily fault anyone for trying to make a pizza once or twice at home for fun/experience. But this is one of two states where the pizza is so good, you’re always better off picking one up. And I don’t even live near New Haven.

Reaction Score
I'm going to take a whiz in the punchbowl.

I've had the Ooni Fyre for 2 years now and hate it. We live in the pizza capital of the world. All the prep and work to make pizza at home is a royal PITA when there are spots all over this state that you or I simply will never outdo.

But have fun figuring it out....
I don't have one (yet) but I hear sentiment like yours more and more as time goes on...plus I have the only 11 year old around that does not like pizza! It's on the want list, but not very high up...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If anyone believes that getting one of these pizza ovens will let you make pizzeria quality pies at a discount think again.

Making the dough is a process where you won't have the benefit of economies of scale to save on what a pizza place can make, the sauce, while more simple (normally a marinara with some garlic, basil and oregano) will take quite a bit of experimenting to get right (and again no economies of scale) and finding the correct cheese without spend a small fortune tmin what you burn can ba a challenge.

When I used to make pizza at home it came out as well as can be expected in a standard gas kitchen oven that barely exceed 500 degrees, on a well seasoned stone but at their best the were what would qualify as adequate to good from a place with a professional pizza oven and a quality process.

It was something that entertained the kids (especially when they helped the preparation) and would impress those who felt places like Domino's or Pizza Hut were worth frequenting.

If you want to do it as a hobby, it could be a great one but it will require a lot of patience.

Reaction Score
Has anyone used the gas version of the Ooni? Are there any similar brands that are better?

Reaction Score
When I used to make pizza at home it came out as well as can be expected in a standard gas kitchen oven that barely exceed 500 degrees, on a well seasoned stone but at their best the were what would qualify as adequate to good from a place with a professional pizza oven and a quality process.

You can do better. Get a steel--not a stone. Much more effective piece of equipment... but also super heavy. Preheat for an hour on the top rack as hot as your oven will go. When you get to cooking, put on the broiler and open your oven a crack at the top with a piece of 3/4" copper pipe or even just a wood dowel. IIRC I used to have a notch in a wood dowel so it wouldn't slip.That's about as close to a pizza oven in your home oven as you can get.

You're not going to save money, but with a pizza oven you can definitely make pies as good as most restaurants if you get the right ingredients and (most importantly) take the time to learn the science behind dough.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
You can do better. Get a steel--not a stone. Much more effective piece of equipment... but also super heavy. Preheat for an hour on the top rack as hot as your oven will go. When you get to cooking, put on the broiler and open your oven a crack with a piece of 3/4" copper pipe or even just a wood dowel. That's about as close to a pizza oven in your home oven as you can get.

Take it a step further and get two pizza steels. Put one in the top third and the second in the bottom third of the oven. Cook about six minutes on the top steel and move it to the bottom steel for the remainder. Or if you do not want two steels move the pizza, to a different spot on the steel. The steel will lose some of its heat where the pizza is placed so it's a good way to get that nice crisp on the bottom.

Before getting an Ooni this was my preferred method and it gives the same product, maybe even a little more consistent. The only thing you will not get is that slight wood char flavor. I still use this method when doing Sicilian Grandma Style pizza.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Has anyone used the gas version of the Ooni? Are there any similar brands that are better?

They are all about the same at this point. Ooni just did a great job marketing and being "first" for home semi portable pizza use.

Reaction Score
I have the original Karu and I use the gas attachment in that. It's a lot easer to use if you get a thermometer gun so you can get the stone to whatever temp you want it to reach for the type of pizza you are making. Gozney has a good oven as well but I've never used it.

Reaction Score
There’s no pizza places where I live & it’s a 45 minute ferry ride to get to civilization.

I picked up a Kamado Joe last fall & have been getting better at making pizzas. Like many have already said, it’s definitely a challenge.

I’ve found a simple solution. Find a pizza place who will cook a pie long enough to make the dough stay in place, bring it home, fire up the Joe & voila.
IMG_6453.jpeg

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
When you get to cooking, put on the broiler and open your oven a crack at the top with a piece of 3/4" copper pipe or even just a wood dowel. IIRC I used to have a notch in a wood dowel so it wouldn't slip.That's about as close to a pizza oven in your home oven as you can get.

Good advice, I discovered this years ago, a gas oven condenses as it burns, and moisture is the pizzas enemy. I use a heavy stone (on the oven floor), pre-heated for at least 45 minutes, dough from a pizzeria down the block, san marzanos, a very good pecorino (no motz) and artisanal pepperoni. I can do a reasonable facsimile of the pie I get at Pepes for a third of the price, but no idea what the fuel cost is to the oven!

Reaction Score
Looking forward to experimenting. Any suggestions on getting stated? Doughs, sauces, toppings, and fuel source you prefer.

Thanks.
On getting started I'd definitely watch a couple videos on dough making and figure out what type you want most. I've had one for a couple years and have yet to make Neapolitan pizza in it. I usually bake mine for much longer than 90 seconds and don't follow the same process of making it but make what you like best. I don't make that style because I don't like it as much - its too soggy for me. Like others have said, learn about the science of dough making and figure out how long you want to ferment for, add olive oil to dough or not, how much salt, what type of flour etc. Same for sauce really, figure out what you like best in terms of taste. For me, there is not right or wrong way as long as you like it.

When adding toppings to your pizza unless you're using a screen or pan I'd recommend you start light on all the ingredients until you're comfortable sliding the pizza in the oven. Work relatively quickly when adding sauce, cheese, and toppings to avoid dough from sticking - flour your surface if you think you need to. Make sure whatever your using to launch - hopefully a pizza paddle is dry and floured before stretching and topping cause the last thing you want is that to stick. For cheese, try your best to get whole milk low moisture mozzarella cheese in block form and shred it yourself. Keep it cold until you top your pizza to avoid a greasy pizza.

I have the Karu but I mostly use the gas attachment. I'd recommend starting with the gas attachment for pizza and getting the stone to the temp you want it to get to for the pizza your making. Once you get comfortable launching, turning, and taking out your pizzas I think then wood/coal would be easier to work with.

I think there are a couple must haves to make everything a bit easier for you. A scale that measures in grams, infrared thermometer, pizza paddle (perforated if you can), and a screen or something to put your pizza on where you can allow steam to escape from the bottom so all the hard work you put in making the pizza crispy doesn't go to waste.

Preheat your oven if using gas on High and if using wood/coal continue to feed until the middle of the stone reaches atleast 700-750F. Thats a good sweet spot to start with if you want a slow bake. Best results for me though is to have the flame as high as can be until it reaches the desired temp and then when you launch the pizza turn it down to medium/low. Let the base get set for about 30 seconds to a minute and then turn every so often so the crust gets even on top and bottom.

Learning curve is steep but once you get used to it the results are worth the effort and it becomes easier and easier every time.

Reaction Score
Take it a step further and get two pizza steels. Put one in the top third and the second in the bottom third of the oven. Cook about six minutes on the top steel and move it to the bottom steel for the remainder. Or if you do not want two steels move the pizza, to a different spot on the steel. The steel will lose some of its heat where the pizza is placed so it's a good way to get that nice crisp on the bottom.

Before getting an Ooni this was my preferred method and it gives the same product, maybe even a little more consistent. The only thing you will not get is that slight wood char flavor. I still use this method when doing Sicilian Grandma Style pizza.

Completely forgot about the two steels. I remember doing that years back before I made an oven in my yard (and then sadly, moved). I was thinking to myself "why do I have two of these 30lb behemoths sitting on the bottom of my pantry instead of 1?" Lol

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You can do better. Get a steel--not a stone. Much more effective piece of equipment... but also super heavy. Preheat for an hour on the top rack as hot as your oven will go. When you get to cooking, put on the broiler and open your oven a crack at the top with a piece of 3/4" copper pipe or even just a wood dowel. IIRC I used to have a notch in a wood dowel so it wouldn't slip.That's about as close to a pizza oven in your home oven as you can get.

You're not going to save money, but with a pizza oven you can definitely make pies as good as most restaurants if you get the right ingredients and (most importantly) take the time to learn the science behind dough.
I'll tell you what, stop by my tailgate for one of the football games and try one of the pies that will be cooked up fresh then tell me what you think. If you need a ticket or more for the game I'll give it to you.

The pizza's I've made in the past compare very well with many professionally made but you are kidding yourself if you believe that a pie made in a standard kitchen oven could match the same pie made in a professional pizza oven.

Reaction Score
The pizza's I've made in the past compare very well with many professionally made but you are kidding yourself if you believe that a pie made in a standard kitchen oven could match the same pie made in a professional pizza oven.

Not in a standard kitchen oven. You can get pretty close with high-quality ingredients, but it'll cost.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Not in a standard kitchen oven. You can get pretty close with high-quality ingredients, but it'll cost.
Yes, which is why I posted that it would not be a way to make pizzas at a discount.

Seriously, by the time football season arrives I should have my pizza oven mastered. Stop by at any football game (I'll even provide tickets if needed).

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I hae the 16" gas version so I don't have to mess with the pellets or wood. I don't get the wood smoke taste but it easier to get the thing going. Agree with all the comments about how hard it is. I've had a lot of meh pizzas but I'm starting to get it down. I still rely on the grates though to get a good taste and avoid burning the bottom.

You have to have low expectations to start and watch a lot of YouTube and then they start coming out moderately well.

Reaction Score
After the initial expense of the oven, peel, etc, the cheese is the only real expensive part. If you use 00 flour that's kind of expensive too, But I mentioned earlier in the thread I cut it 50/50 with cheap bread flour to get higher protein amount anyways). Sauce is dirt cheap. Ball is free from a garden.

Reaction Score
I hae the 16" gas version so I don't have to mess with the pellets or wood. I don't get the wood smoke taste but it easier to get the thing going. Agree with all the comments about how hard it is. I've had a lot of meh pizzas but I'm starting to get it down. I still rely on the grates though to get a good taste and avoid burning the bottom.

You have to have low expectations to start and watch a lot of YouTube and then they start coming out moderately well.

There is no wood smoke taste in a pizza oven. Way too hot for that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If anyone believes that getting one of these pizza ovens will let you make pizzeria quality pies at a discount think again.

Making the dough is a process where you won't have the benefit of economies of scale to save on what a pizza place can make, the sauce, while more simple (normally a marinara with some garlic, basil and oregano) will take quite a bit of experimenting to get right (and again no economies of scale) and finding the correct cheese without spend a small fortune tmin what you burn can ba a challenge.

It was something that entertained the kids (especially when they helped the preparation) and would impress those who felt places like Domino's or Pizza Hut were worth frequenting.

If you want to do it as a hobby, it could be a great one but it will require a lot of patience.

Counterpoint - making dough and sauce are about the simplest things you can do in a kitchen.

It’s pizza. It’s not rocket science.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Counterpoint - making dough and sauce are about the simplest things you can do in a kitchen.

I was a little intimidated by making the dough the first time but it really is pretty easy. We have the Ooni 16 (gas) and its awesome. We have pizza party nights where we all make our own pizzas. The results are pretty great and a lot of fun. We have gotten exponentially better each time we use it (perfect circle, getting temp perfect, time, rotating the pizza, etc..)

Like someone said earlier, making your own sauce with San Marzano tomatoes instead of the can is 100% the way to go. It tastes so much better.

Reaction Score

Reading your posts on food for the last 20+ years I get the sense that you take no enjoyment out of eating. It's just a bodily necessity to you. Sort of like a cow just looking for its next patch of grass to fill its stomach.

Reaction Score
Ooni?? Go BIG or go home…

It’s gravy, omg

Reaction Score

It's basically like a lobster roll with cheese.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom