Here in South Carolina. | The Boneyard

Here in South Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, I am at the venue in South Carolina. I’m the only UConn fan surrounded by Gamecock fans. They are absolutely pleasant and accommodating. They held my spot in line while I ran to the car. They offered me refreshments. Then, finally another Uconn fan shows up dressed in UConn blue. Happy to see another UConn fan I say. “Hey, where are you from? His response, - “ None of your @&$#n business!” I know you can’t judge everybody by the actions of a few, but, “Why? What is the reason for this type of a response when attending an away game?”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why? What is the reason for this type of a response when attending an away game?”
Because he's an ass.hole?

Enjoy the game! I have found the vast majority of fans at college sports to be friendly, gracious, and accommodating. it isn't unusual at football games to be invited to an opposing fans tailgate. Yeah, you may take some ribbing, especially after a drubbing, but it's all good natured. At a game at Madison Square Garden earlier this year I stopped an Indiana fan to ask where he got a program and he offered me his saying that his buddy had another one and they could share. Those kind of things are fairly typical, in my experience.

Focus on the majority of gracious people and not the occasional jerks. You'll be happier.

For what it's worth, I'm a little envious. South Carolina appears to be a terrific venue for a woman's basketball game. I'd love to hear your impressions of the crowd and facility after the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I'm a little envious. South Carolina appears to be a terrific venue for a woman's basketball game. I'd love to hear your impressions of the crowd and facility after the game.
Unfortunately, I will be a bad person to give my impressions of the venue and the game unless UConn wins. I suffer dramatically when UConn does not win, and cannot be objective. I work with a gentleman, and I tell the students, and our peers that I hate him, everyone around us knows that I hate him. Not that I don’t like him, I hate him. The reason: he wears a George Mason sweatshirt almost daily. (UConn men 2006) Should UConn lose today, the world will have ended, well, at least until the next game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I will be a bad person to give my impressions of the venue and the game unless UConn wins. I suffer dramatically when UConn does not win, and cannot be objective. I work with a gentleman, and I tell the students, and our peers that I hate him, everyone around us knows that I hate him. Not that I don’t like him, I hate him. The reason: he wears a George Mason sweatshirt almost daily. (UConn men 2006) Should UConn lose today, the world will have ended, well, at least until the next game.
Lol, and that my friend is the essence of being a fan, right? A friend of my son came over and was enthusiastically telling me that he had been accepted to Syracuse University. After politely listening to him and talking to him about how it was a good school there was a little pause and I said "of course, we're enemies now." He looked at me and nodded and somberly said "I know."

Reaction Score
I live in SC. Been here 38 years and I am 91 years old. I have lived in NJ, CALIFORNIA,Georgia, Penn.FLA. I will take SC over all the rest. The weather is like Calif. and the winters are short. The people are friendly and easy going. That is what I have seen since moving here. I operated a Muffler Shop for 37 years and made a good living here. I retired last Dec. and will be watching the HUSKIES for the rest of my life. The HUSKIES are what BB is all about. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
So, I am at the venue in South Carolina. I’m the only UConn fan surrounded by Gamecock fans. They are absolutely pleasant and accommodating. They held my spot in line while I ran to the car. They offered me refreshments. Then, finally another Uconn fan shows up dressed in UConn blue. Happy to see another UConn fan I say. “Hey, where are you from? His response, - “ None of your @&$#n business!” I know you can’t judge everybody by the actions of a few, but, “Why? What is the reason for this type of a response when attending an away game?”
OMG! That might have been funny if it was Susie from Curb Your Enthusiasm saying it. Otherwise, how nasty. My condolences.

Reaction Score
I know much of the eastern part of SC is populated by a lot of folks like me with Northeast roots, but always a surprise to understand how few residents outside of the greater Columbia area appreciate what a great sports program Dawn Staley has built. Dawn has given top players a reason to go to a cute but small town they might normally ignore. I rarely meet anyone in SC who has ever attended a game or watched the women's basketball team on TV. When living in NE, would regularly drive several hours multiple times a year.

Reaction Score
I live in SC. Been here 38 years and I am 91 years old. I have lived in NJ, CALIFORNIA,Georgia, Penn.FLA. I will take SC over all the rest. The weather is like Calif. and the winters are short. The people are friendly and easy going. That is what I have seen since moving here. I operated a Muffler Shop for 37 years and made a good living here. I retired last Dec. and will be watching the HUSKIES for the rest of my life. The HUSKIES are what BB is all about. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!
As you proclaim, it's all about the 'Next 12,' right? ;)

Reaction Score
Yikes! Somebody was in a mood. Jeez. Well don't let that person ruin your vibe. Enjoy the game and the experience. Go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
Be prepared for a white out.
IMG_5769.jpeg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A UConn fan jumped me in line 10 years ago at a Duke-Uconn game. Didn't give me a negative of the fanbase. However, if I'm at another game and a Uconn fan jumps ahead of me in line, we might have an issue ;):mad::D

38 years of eating mustard in your bbq? That should have been a deal breaker.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Maybe they hadn't had their second or third cup of coffee yet, but it doesn't give them the right to be an A*H** or a B*****D. Enjoy the game and I hope UConn can pull the upset.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A UConn fan jumped me in line 10 years ago at a Duke-Uconn game. Didn't give me a negative of the fanbase. However, if I'm at another game and a Uconn fan jumps ahead of me in line, we might have an issue ;):mad::D

38 years of eating mistard in your bbq? That should have been a deal breaker.
I never heard of mistard, is it some type of sauce?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Any sight of the recruit Sarah Strong being present ?

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
I know much of the eastern part of SC is populated by a lot of folks like me with Northeast roots, but always a surprise to understand how few residents outside of the greater Columbia area appreciate what a great sports program Dawn Staley has built. Dawn has given top players a reason to go to a cute but small town they might normally ignore. I rarely meet anyone in SC who has ever attended a game or watched the women's basketball team on TV. When living in NE, would regularly drive several hours multiple times a year.
I dunno, HopJim. When I was in Greenville for Regionals last year, it seemed like there was a huge following of folks from all over the state, especially coming up from the Myrtle Beach and Charleston areas. Super friendly people, very knowledgeable about WCBB and WNBA, and very complimentary of UConn's storied program. Also a lot of younger folks, especially girls in presumably their HS, AAU, or MS team attire. Very, very impressed with what Dawn has done with this program.

Reaction Score
I found the same thing maybe deeper---I'm a born and Raised Husky for 45 years, even at Uconn for 6 years as faculty---lived below the MD line (Even MLK saw a difference at that line). Ya' all come back now --is lost in the language.

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom