Her Hoop Stats Season Preview | The Boneyard

Her Hoop Stats Season Preview

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those interested.

Both Hosts put Azzi as right on the border of 1st team / 2nd team AA. Same with Morrow

But I can't understand alot what Megan is saying. :oops:

Her enunciation is too rough for my ears so maybe others can get more out of it

I did pick up the part where the male host (Calvin who seems very sharp) is super high on Olivia Miles after being wowed in an interview she did. Very much a pure pg.

Megan puts out the remarkable claim that the top part of the Big East is better than the top psart of the Big 10. By top, she means 4-5 teams. Major diss of Iowa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those interested.

Both Hosts put Azzi as right on the border of 1st team / 2nd team AA. Same with Morrow

I did pick up the part where the male host (Calvin who seems very sharp) is super high on Olivia Miles after being wowed in an interview she did. Very much a pure pg.

Megan puts out the remarkable claim that the top part of the Big East is better than the top psart of the Big 10. By top, she means 4-5 teams. Major diss of Iowa.

Thanks for posting this. It was a good discussion. I thought Megan's claim about the big east vs big ten was a little too bold, but I think I've seen her on social media a lot criticize Iowa. I actually think UConn, Creighton and DePaul will be very good this year. Marquette is always competitive. But she gave a lot of love to Seton Hall, I feel like I'm missing something. I was also surprised how down she was on Indiana and Ohio State.
Also similar a recent debate on by the b'yarders it was interesting to hear them go back and forth on Tennessee. I, like Megan think they are a top 5 team and Calvin was pretty firm in his stance they were not that type of program anymore. I'll be looking forward to a part two.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. It was a good discussion. I thought Megan's claim about the big east vs big ten was a little too bold, but I think I've seen her on social media a lot criticize Iowa. I actually think UConn, Creighton and DePaul will be very good this year. Marquette is always competitive. But she gave a lot of love to Seton Hall, I feel like I'm missing something. I was also surprised how down she was on Indiana and Ohio State.
Also similar a recent debate on by the b'yarders it was interesting to hear them go back and forth on Tennessee. I, like Megan think they are a top 5 team and Calvin was pretty firm in his stance they were not that type of program anymore. I'll be looking forward to a part two.
I agree with Calvin on TN. They have to prove to me they have a decent outside game and don't turn the ball over in waves.

I can never figure out Big 10. Except for maybe MD and Iowa, they all look so similar to me. :oops:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's fun to see people debate the season and have discussions about it so it was a fun enough listen on a Friday.

I'm really confused about who Megan thinks Ohio State lost that is such a big hit?
From regular starters or players who averaged more than 10 minutes a game, they lost Braxtin Miller, Tanaya Beacham, and Kateri Poole(15 minutes a game). I'm not sure any of them aren't replaceable. Their biggest flaw is the same as it was last season, weak post rotation. I think Cotie McMahon is going to be the Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Also, Megan's so high on Tennessee for their defense and all that, but according to HerHoopStats, Ohio State and Tennessee weren't that different of teams last season.

G WINLOSSWIN% PTS OPP PTSNET PTS OFF RTG DEF RTGNET RTGPACE

3225778.1%78.265.612.6104.587.616.874.8
3425973.5%70.161.19.095.083.711.272.8

The first team is Ohio St. Second one is Tennessee. They both played LSU but only Ohio State won. Now, I don't think Ohio State is a top ten team in the preseason. They will undoubtedly lose some question mark games, but they aren't going to be an easy win. I know I sound like an obnoxious fan, but this OSU team is the most exciting team McGuff has had for me. Tennessee added more in the offseason, so I totally understand them having more buzz, but just to not even consider Ohio State in the top 25 (calling them a wild card) but then to Top 5 anoint Tennessee seems a bit wild. Luckily, these teams play the first game of the season and it'll be settled and I can come back here and eat crow after UT beats OSU. HA.

I also think NC State is going to be better without Elissa Cunane. I never really was impressed with her play when I saw her on tv. Perez is the bigger loss, which has been said on this board before. They are going to be more dynamic with Diamond Johnson, Jada Boyd, and Jakia Brown-Turner leading the way. Most of NC State's biggest wins were brought from the guard play (Specifically, Raina Perez) or with Hobby and Boyd playing tough in the paint. Will they win the ACC? I don't know. I controversially think NC State won their ACC Titles during some down years for the conference. VT did get better too. But wouldn't be surprised if another NC School in a shade/tint of blue won the ACC.

Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like DePaul lost a lot of their contributors outside Morrow. So, I think they have some question marks on who will be helping keep Defenses honest so Morrow can shine. Not that they won't be a good team, but preseason, questions on who is going to be covering Morris, Held, and Church's production that was lost. However, I guess Morrow really just needs someone to shoot the ball and she'll get the rebound and putback for production.

I think Texas or Baylor will win the Big 12 (Ten teams). I think Baylor adds a lot but they also have solid leadership players with experience. I think last years team had more question marks, even with Egbo and Smith.

These are just ramblings from someone ready for the weekend.

Reaction Score
It's fun to see people debate the season and have discussions about it so it was a fun enough listen on a Friday.

I'm really confused about who Megan thinks Ohio State lost that is such a big hit?
From regular starters or players who averaged more than 10 minutes a game, they lost Braxtin Miller, Tanaya Beacham, and Kateri Poole(15 minutes a game). I'm not sure any of them aren't replaceable. Their biggest flaw is the same as it was last season, weak post rotation. I think Cotie McMahon is going to be the Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Also, Megan's so high on Tennessee for their defense and all that, but according to HerHoopStats, Ohio State and Tennessee weren't that different of teams last season.

The first team is Ohio St. Second one is Tennessee. They both played LSU but only Ohio State won. Now, I don't think Ohio State is a top ten team in the preseason. They will undoubtedly lose some question mark games, but they aren't going to be an easy win. I know I sound like an obnoxious fan, but this OSU team is the most exciting team McGuff has had for me. Tennessee added more in the offseason, so I totally understand them having more buzz, but just to not even consider Ohio State in the top 25 (calling them a wild card) but then to Top 5 anoint Tennessee seems a bit wild. Luckily, these teams play the first game of the season and it'll be settled and I can come back here and eat crow after UT beats OSU. HA.

I also think NC State is going to be better without Elissa Cunane. I never really was impressed with her play when I saw her on tv. Perez is the bigger loss, which has been said on this board before. They are going to be more dynamic with Diamond Johnson, Jada Boyd, and Jakia Brown-Turner leading the way. Most of NC State's biggest wins were brought from the guard play (Specifically, Raina Perez) or with Hobby and Boyd playing tough in the paint. Will they win the ACC? I don't know. I controversially think NC State won their ACC Titles during some down years for the conference. VT did get better too. But wouldn't be surprised if another NC School in a shade/tint of blue won the ACC.

Maybe I'm missing something but I feel like DePaul lost a lot of their contributors outside Morrow. So, I think they have some question marks on who will be helping keep Defenses honest so Morrow can shine. Not that they won't be a good team, but preseason, questions on who is going to be covering Morris, Held, and Church's production that was lost. However, I guess Morrow really just needs someone to shoot the ball and she'll get the rebound and putback for production.

I think Texas or Baylor will win the Big 12 (Ten teams). I think Baylor adds a lot but they also have solid leadership players with experience. I think last years team had more question marks, even with Egbo and Smith.

Great analysis! I enjoyed the read.

My predictions:

ACC: Louisville
Big 10: Iowa
Big 12: Texas
SEC: South Carolina
PAC: Stanford

I’ll also do my best “if I’m wrong” picks:

ACC: Notre Dame
Big 10: Indiana
Big 12: Iowa State
SEC: Tennessee
PAC: Arizona

Reaction Score

When you post these types of deciding factor stats it may be beneficial to post the SOS and the opponents played as a better gauge and who's really playing defense. Imagine Texas southern having the best defensive stats in the country playing against the SWAC and those quality of teams the entire year. Are they reallllllly the best defensive team ? Just a fun debate :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I go back between Texas and State as which is 4 and 5. Losing Perez is huge, she was so steady and had a calming affect on the squad. Crutchfield was such a good and underrated player as well. Without those two, their outside shooting could be a concern. I think Hobby starting and a combination of Baldwin/Collins will be just fine in terms of replacing Cunane.

As to the bolded comment, I'd be a bit surprised if Duke won the conference this year, but glad you have confidence in us performing well this season.

Reaction Score
For those interested.

Megan is often rambling with some…unusual takes.

Reaction Score
I think losing Cunane is a bigger factor than most believe. Her defensive presence should not be underestimated. She was frequently double-teamed by the opposition and her passing from the post was what frequently resulted in those guards having better games than they would have had otherwise. Unlike most bigs she was also excellent from the free throw line so fouling her didn't help you. Not only are her replacements a step down but the ACC teams have added more height at the post position overall negating the advantage they enjoyed the past few seasons. I think any of 6 different teams could win the ACC this year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'll add in another "Her Hoops Stats" preview: B1G Preview, on each team. Iowa, Ohio State and Indiana (in some order for the latter two) are top-rated. There's one picture that caught my attention. Scroll down to the Indiana section and look at photo of MacKenzie Holmes and Grace Berger. Mac is open, friendly and smiling. Berger is assessing, intense and surveying -- just like she is on the court. No wonder Teri Moren loves her.

Reaction Score

Some things that stick out Tennessee at 3, UConn at 19. Other than some of the name fumbles I thought she did a good job.

Reaction Score
Tennessee at 3, UConn at 19.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01