Help me out here. | The Boneyard

Help me out here.

Reaction Score
Forgive me; I'm not much of an x's and o's guy. Does the offense UConn runs lend itself to clear-outs or isolation situations? Are there offenses that allowed that to happen more? Neither Christyn nor Evina are especially good at penetration where they're working around multiple defenders. But both are pretty good one-on-one. Can't say I see much of that happening. For sure, neither one of them gets to the foul line much, which might change with more isolation stuff. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Reaction Score
Forgive me; I'm not much of an x's and o's guy. Does the offense UConn runs lend itself to clear-outs or isolation situations? Are there offenses that allowed that to happen more? Neither Christyn nor Evina are especially good at penetration where they're working around multiple defenders. But both are pretty good one-on-one. Can't say I see much of that happening. For sure, neither one of them gets to the foul line much, which might change with more isolation stuff. Thanks for any enlightenment.
Yes, isolation, 2-man games, clearing one side, are all facets of most any offense, although they may be called from the bench. It doesn't necessarily solve the problem you're referring to because if there is no other outside scoring threat a good defense will play help side and ball line defense, having the other players with at least one foot in the lane ready to help out (which is the way man-to-man should be played anyway). If the the other offensive players are an outside scoring threat it limits the defense's ability to help as much. Right now we don't have that threat. That's what Jeff Walz was talking about in the previously posted column.

Reaction Score
I've posted on this 500X. Occasionally someone actually fires back at me with x's and o's. Usually the rebut has something to do with 11 NC's and 1100 wins.
Geno runs a sophisticated passing game offense, which is heavily reliant on high/low post action and backdoor cutting. I've said forever that Geno needs to put his players in positions on offense in which they are most effective. Liv at the high post- NO! IMO. CW at the wing and top of the key beyond the 3 point line- NO! IMO. CW at the short corner for a drive to the rim- YES! IMO. Liv, AE at low block post up- YES! IMO
Even a basic Middle School 1-2-2 set, with a point, 2 wings, and 2 posts IMO would be better. Posts can flash high to set up high/low action, they just wouldn't be planted out there like they are now. Wings get open via cutting and screening action with the posts and also the point in order to get the ball in their scoring zone. Catching the ball in a scoring position, in a triple threat stance with people screening away and people cutting toward the ball. NOT catching the ball with the ball over your head with no threat to drive. I also HATE when CW gets the ball in a scoring area and backs out (retreats) with the ball. It has NEVER gotten her anything. EVER. Attack, Attack, Attack! Requires screening and more screening.
I coached a baseball team one time that went like 8 games without getting their uniforms dirty. I offered a reward for changing this dynamic.
Why can't UConn be the more physical team?

Reaction Score
Yes, isolation, 2-man games, clearing one side, are all facets of most any offense, although they may be called from the bench. It doesn't necessarily solve the problem you're referring to because if there is no other outside scoring threat a good defense will play help side and ball line defense, having the other players with at least one foot in the lane ready to help out (which is the way man-to-man should be played anyway). If the the other offensive players are an outside scoring threat it limits the defense's ability to help as much. Right now we don't have that threat. That's what Jeff Walz was talking about in the previously posted column.
Caroline is a threat, a healthy Azzi should be? and if Evina and Christyn get their acts together... well that would certainly open things up, but....

Reaction Score
When I say get their acts together, didn't mean that as harsh as it sounded. I was just talking about better 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
Caroline is a threat, a healthy Azzi should be? and if Evina and Christyn get their acts together... well that would certainly open things up, but....
I do think Caroline is a threat but my guess is she will have to prove it from game to game for a little longer before coaches are williing to open the lane. I think she will, but I wouldn't be surprised if they let her make some shots before opening the lane. I would. When Azzi gets back she will be a threat, but I was referring to what's available now. I think Evina can be a threat once all the others are back. For now she's having to play a different role. I may be in a camp all by myself here but I have never considered Christyn a threat game in and game out. Some games yes, depending on the matchup. It has nothing to do with her ability, I've just never seen her as having what it takes to be a consistent, go-to player. And you're right, all those things would certainly open things up. Hope to see them soon.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When I say get their acts together, didn't mean that as harsh as it sounded. I was just talking about better 3 point shooting.
Evina will be an adequate 3-point shooter in the 35% range if she can reduce her minutes and play off the ball, neither of which will happen until the injury situation improves.

Christyn is the same Christyn we have seen for three and a half years -- sometimes brilliant, and sometimes invisible on offense. But she has to stay in the lineup for her defense against fast guards on opposing teams, and for her hustle which shows up in rebounding and steals. While Paige is out, Christyn will probably miss 6 to 8 points a game on the touchdown passes that Paige throws to her, often as the clock is expiring.

Reaction Score
UConn sometimes run an isolation play or "social distancing" play as it's referred to in their current playbook.........and yes it's been approved by the medical staff..........:rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've posted on this 500X. Occasionally someone actually fires back at me with x's and o's. Usually the rebut has something to do with 11 NC's and 1100 wins.
Geno runs a sophisticated passing game offense, which is heavily reliant on high/low post action and backdoor cutting. I've said forever that Geno needs to put his players in positions on offense in which they are most effective. Liv at the high post- NO! IMO. CW at the wing and top of the key beyond the 3 point line- NO! IMO. CW at the short corner for a drive to the rim- YES! IMO. Liv, AE at low block post up- YES! IMO
Even a basic Middle School 1-2-2 set, with a point, 2 wings, and 2 posts IMO would be better. Posts can flash high to set up high/low action, they just wouldn't be planted out there like they are now. Wings get open via cutting and screening action with the posts and also the point in order to get the ball in their scoring zone. Catching the ball in a scoring position, in a triple threat stance with people screening away and people cutting toward the ball. NOT catching the ball with the ball over your head with no threat to drive. I also HATE when CW gets the ball in a scoring area and backs out (retreats) with the ball. It has NEVER gotten her anything. EVER. Attack, Attack, Attack! Requires screening and more screening.
I coached a baseball team one time that went like 8 games without getting their uniforms dirty. I offered a reward for changing this dynamic.
Why can't UConn be the more physical team?

Liv has great court vision and is available good passer. Auriemma loves to have a good passing big in the high post. (Think Steph Dolson) Plus Olivia isn’t really a banger by nature. Just my opinion.

Agree regarding Christyn.

Reaction Score
Liv has great court vision and is available good passer. Auriemma loves to have a good passing big in the high post. (Think Steph Dolson) Plus Olivia isn’t really a banger by nature. Just my opinion.

Agree with you, that that’s what he likes. I’ve also said more than once (sacrilege) that a weakness of the team with Gabby, KLS, Phees, Kia was that Gabby could never consistently hit that free throw line jumper. Of course we loved her drives with either hand from the high post and the hi/lo artistry with Phees but IMO it hurt us big time versus Miss State and ND. Can’t forget Geno constructs teams to win NC’s. Not sure with that in mind that it is acceptable to have glaring weaknesses out there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno knows how to setup an isolation play. Go to the 3:50 mark of the video below. He may need to throw in a few of these plays with this team until the passing/turnover issue improves

Reaction Score

Dolson and Stewie, Tuck and Stewie. KLS and Collier. You have to have players who can be in both positions. The high post has to hit the shot, make a good pass to the low post.
The low post player has to have good position, good hands, and ability to finish.
Right now I don't see the proper players on this team for that set.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dolson and Stewie, Tuck and Stewie. KLS and Collier. You have to have players who can be in both positions. The high post has to hit the shot, make a good pass to the low post.
The low post player has to have good position, good hands, and ability to finish.
Liv to Edwards?

Reaction Score
Liv seems to hold the ball too long, not decided on her next move but mostly a return pass to a wide cutting guard who doesn't play off the pick too well. The other problem is how the women's game is called most often against who sets the pick. If Liv could drive more off of this post position good things would result. In the last game she did it in the first quarter then never again.

Reaction Score
Liv seems to hold the ball too long, not decided on her next move but mostly a return pass to a wide cutting guard who doesn't play off the pick too well. The other problem is how the women's game is called most often against who sets the pick. If Liv could drive more off of this post position good things would result. In the last game she did it in the first quarter then never again.
Can't pass if no one is open. I think the cuts aren't hard enough and the timing is off. This offense requires constant reads. Most people blame the passer when there's a turnover. A lot of time it's the recipient. I don't know how many times post players ask for the pass to the wrong hand or they're too far under. A good passer would prompt them to repost...if there's time. Lot of shot clock violations recently because a dead ball turnover is better than a picked off pass.

Reaction Score
Yes!
What's the definition of insanity...
Every player on your team should have post moves on the block. PB- automatic from there. CW- effective from there. EW- got moves down there. Pete Newell, NCAA champion coach at Cal, wrote his bible decades ago...https://www.amazon.com/Pete-Newells-Moves-Skill-Development/dp/B000BQJ9KU
Like you said, high post is another story, although you'd think players could hit an FT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom