Heat Pumps | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Heat Pumps

Reaction Score
A few years ago I bought my first house (built in the 90s) with all original mechanicals still chugging along. We have oil that fuels both the furnace (forced hot air) and hot water heater using oil burners, in addition to central A/C so the whole house is already ducted. I would like to upgrade all of this, preferably moving entirely away from oil. We are on borrowed time especially with the ol’ Superstor water heater ready to burst at the seams.

I see there are loads of incentives (energizeCT rebates + loans, federal tax credits) for heat pump units and hot water heaters, I just don’t know how well these perform in our climate and whether these are suitable replacements here.

I spoke to a couple HVAC tech’s who both mentioned that heat pumps need a backup heat source for cold days (<30 degrees F), yet I have seen units in my limited research that are rated for performance down to -15F.

I can recite the career stats of Ruslan Inyatkin on demand, but I simply don’t know jack about boilers, burners, furnaces, coils and that speak. Has anyone had a similar experience converting over these systems and can offer any helpful advice?

Reaction Score
Still an issue with city water? Just curious.
Depends on water hardness, which is determined by your water supply, city or well. I would assume city water has fewer particulates, but they don't filter out for calcium, magnesium that I know of...Those cause scale..if scales builds on the pipes, the heat transfer is dramatically decreased over time. If you have a tank, it doesn't matter as fire is blasting until the water comes to temp...with a tankless, you only have a second or 2 as the water cycles through.

Reaction Score
I have a similar situation. My existing oil furnace and water heater are in a small unfinished part of my basement, with pipe going into the chimney. There's insulation between studs but no sheetrock, and there's a simple outside vent through the siding so it gets chilly.

One of the byproducts of the heat pump is that it blows out cold air. Nice in the summer though

Reaction Score
Will provide my experience since I was faced with a similar decision this year. I have an oil powered boiler for floorboard heat and water heater that is well on its last legs (30+ years old). Was trying to decide to replace with new boiler or switch to heat pump. After a few calls and quotes, I determined it was significantly cheaper to try the Heat Pump out this winter for just heat and not hot water and keep my oil burner as backup and to handle hot water. The upfront cost for the Heat Pump was ~$6,500 but received an instant rebated of $750 and was given $500 for my 4 year old outdoor condenser from my central AC, so $5,250 upfront. I also will qualify for $2,000 Federal Tax credit and (supposedly) $1,000 per ton through Energize CT for a 3 ton system. This would bring my final cost down to a whopping $250. Note: I submitted my rebate form through Energize CT 2 months ago and am still waiting to hear back.

I got my Electricity Bill for November and my usage was up 35.6% compared to last November increasing my bill by ~$71. My oil consumption was down 70% saving me ~$350 with a net energy cost savings of ~$280. Assuming the Energize CT rebate comes through, the unit has already paid for itself.

As far as performance in colder temps - have yet to really see how far it can go. It's done perfectly fine keeping my home at 68 degrees so far and that was with the same warning from the installer that it becomes less efficient and can struggle to heat the home below 30 degrees. I know it doesn't "recover" temperature as well as the floorboard heaters so I just keep it pretty much set at 68 despite the smart thermostat being able to fluctuate the temp by time of day pretty easily (I do let it get "down" to 66 while we sleep).

If this keeps up through December and into January (and I get my Energize CT rebate), I'm inclined to dump the oilburner and switch to an electric water heater in the coming year. Installer also noted about something that can be added to my existing heat pump to make it work well even in extreme cold (below 0) temps which I would also do if I get rid of the oil backup altogether.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Check out this guy's YouTube channel. He lives in Massachusetts & just built a net zero home, and does great, in-depth looks at stuff like heat pumps, solar panels, etc. He's very pro-heat pump:

Maine is one of the biggest growth markets in the country for heat pumps. They must be able to function on some level in cold weather.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If this keeps up through December and into January (and I get my Energize CT rebate), I'm inclined to dump the oilburner and switch to an electric water heater in the coming year. Installer also noted about something that can be added to my existing heat pump to make it work well even in extreme cold (below 0) temps which I would also do if I get rid of the oil backup altogether.
Heat pump dryers are a thing now, too, if you want to switch the whole household:

Reaction Score
Depends on water hardness, which is determined by your water supply, city or well. I would assume city water has fewer particulates, but they don't filter out for calcium, magnesium that I know of...Those cause scale..if scales builds on the pipes, the heat transfer is dramatically decreased over time. If you have a tank, it doesn't matter as fire is blasting until the water comes to temp...with a tankless, you only have a second or 2 as the water cycles through.
Sounds logical. We have tankless water heater with oil burner for hot water radiators. No one ever suggested using any filter on city water, but I guess that my fault for not asking. On 2nd one now, and 1st lasted 20 years. I thought that was normal. Previous house has gas hot water tank. They don’t seem to last very long, and usually make a mess when failing.

Reaction Score
I have geothermal hot air with electric backup. The electric doesn’t go on much but in extreme cold it would run overnight. Air conditioning in summer is basically free. Also have solar panels. There’s no noise when it runs. Expensive to install but I feel worth it if you are long term in your home.

Reaction Score
Will provide my experience since I was faced with a similar decision this year. I have an oil powered boiler for floorboard heat and water heater that is well on its last legs (30+ years old). Was trying to decide to replace with new boiler or switch to heat pump. After a few calls and quotes, I determined it was significantly cheaper to try the Heat Pump out this winter for just heat and not hot water and keep my oil burner as backup and to handle hot water. The upfront cost for the Heat Pump was ~$6,500 but received an instant rebated of $750 and was given $500 for my 4 year old outdoor condenser from my central AC, so $5,250 upfront. I also will qualify for $2,000 Federal Tax credit and (supposedly) $1,000 per ton through Energize CT for a 3 ton system. This would bring my final cost down to a whopping $250. Note: I submitted my rebate form through Energize CT 2 months ago and am still waiting to hear back.

I got my Electricity Bill for November and my usage was up 35.6% compared to last November increasing my bill by ~$71. My oil consumption was down 70% saving me ~$350 with a net energy cost savings of ~$280. Assuming the Energize CT rebate comes through, the unit has already paid for itself.

As far as performance in colder temps - have yet to really see how far it can go. It's done perfectly fine keeping my home at 68 degrees so far and that was with the same warning from the installer that it becomes less efficient and can struggle to heat the home below 30 degrees. I know it doesn't "recover" temperature as well as the floorboard heaters so I just keep it pretty much set at 68 despite the smart thermostat being able to fluctuate the temp by time of day pretty easily (I do let it get "down" to 66 while we sleep).

Did you only have to replace the outdoor unit and not the air handler? I’m guessing your AC system used 410A refrigerant if that’s the case. Either that or you should share the name of your contractor before he goes out of business.
The only thing you can ADD to a heat pump to heat to zero is the electric strip heater. You’re better off just switching to your boiler when it gets too cold. It’ll serve the purpose of your back up heat.

If someone has an oil furnace (meaning hot air) and not an oil boiler, you can add a new coil and a Heat Pump condenser for that price.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds logical. We have tankless water heater with oil burner for hot water radiators. No one ever suggested using any filter on city water, but I guess that my fault for not asking. On 2nd one now, and 1st lasted 20 years. I thought that was normal. Previous house has gas hot water tank. They don’t seem to last very long, and usually make a mess when failing.
Tankless coil in an oil boiler is a tough way to get hot water. I imagine you must run out pretty quickly. They can install a standard electric water heater as a storage tank and that would help out quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Maine is one of the biggest growth markets in the country for heat pumps. They must be able to function on some level in cold weather.
Geothermal does. Air sourced heat pumps to heat your home do not heat below 30-32 degrees without a backup heat source. Technology won’t change the fact that you need more heating BTUs than Cooling in CT or Mass. Air sourced Heat Pumps are air conditioners with a reversing valve.

In GA most homes are still built new with Natural Gas. Apartment and Condo buildings in every state are good candidates for Heat Pumps but if it gets below freezing in a stand alone home then an electric heat strip is still far more costly than a gas boiler/furnace. Every house is different and every situation is different. Talk to an HVAC contractor, not a homeowner. It can cost one guy $6000 for a heat pump or it can cost $12,000 to have the same one installed (new air handler, tonnage, duct changes, electrical changes etc are all variables).

Reaction Score
That’s a high efficiency boiler that has a tankless coil. A tankless water heater that doesn’t heat your home looks pretty much the same. Just keep in mind that these aren’t built to last much longer than a regular water heater (10 years). It should be cheaper when you go to replace it though. 3-4 years ago a tankless water heater sold for $2800-$3800. I saw a quote not long ago for $8500. The last dozen I sold were between $5500-$6500. Keep in mind if it heats your home then it’s a boiler/water heater. Different animal.
You must be right. I'm told it was about $8,500 3 years ago. We had a relative in the business do it for us so I'm sure we paid more than we had to! But it did make sense sinse we would have had to buy a new furnace and water heater, hopefully this thing has legs. And here's the kicker - due to the timing, we had oil in the tank and we actually paid a guy to come take our oil!

Reaction Score
Sorry my comment was for hot water for household not heating . The water in a closed system has a fixed amount of calcium so u r fine imo.

Reaction Score
My ductwork is used to blow heat and A/C from the blower throughout the house. I am looking into the dual fuel set up more because I already have propane tanks on site exclusively for the whole house generator (which never really gets used). I'm wondering if that is a safer bet vs a standalone heat pump.
So you have an oil furnace? Meaning you don’t have an oil boiler that heats baseboard water? If so you should DEFINITELY get a heat pump condenser and an indoor AC coil that matches warranty. ~$6000 and up depending on efficiency. When your oil furnace needs to be replaced you should get a quote for a 95% and above efficient propane furnace. If you can swing both now then do it. In both instances this is a Dual Fuel heating system.

Reaction Score
You must be right. I'm told it was about $8,500 3 years ago. We had a relative in the business do it for us so I'm sure we paid more than we had to! But it did make sense sinse we would have had to buy a new furnace and water heater, hopefully this thing has legs. And here's the kicker - due to the timing, we had oil in the tank and we actually paid a guy to come take our oil!
Yeah, you still made the right choice. The HVAC company I worked for heated an entire warehouse with all the oil customers paid us to get rid of. As long as rebates stick around then even if you need to replace it in 10 years it was still the best choice you could have made.

Reaction Score
Tankless coil in an oil boiler is a tough way to get hot water. I imagine you must run out pretty quickly. They can install a standard electric water heater as a storage tank and that would help out quite a bit.
It’s actually not bad. Can do 2 showers simultaneously. When all the kids and grandkids are here it seems to be fine. Didn’t do a bath very well though. The temp was tweaked a few months ago (and may need to be lowered), so it might do a bath now. After the flood at our last home, I’ll never go for a tank again, but that was over 30 years ago, so I’d hope they’re better now.

Reaction Score
It’s actually not bad. Can do 2 showers simultaneously. When all the kids and grandkids are here it seems to be fine. Didn’t do a bath very well though. The temp was tweaked a few months ago (and may need to be lowered), so it might do a bath now. After the flood at our last home, I’ll never go for a tank again, but that was over 30 years ago, so I’d hope they’re better now.
Nice. If you’re happy that’s what matters. Most of the newer ones only do about 2.5 gpm which is about one shower. A couple brands and some of the older ones still do much better.

Honestly if anything they’re worse. Though some indirect ones are glass or aluminum lined and last forever. Standalone ones I’ve seen leak under their 6 yr warranty while some made by Ford and GE in CT basements have been working for 50 years.

Reaction Score
As someone who has designed and sold HVAC systems in both CT and GA I can probably help a little here. to heat it.
Do you have a preferred brand for tankless hot water heaters? I just installed a Stiebel Eltron electric...seems to be working well so far
Would you install a water softener and scale filter together or is the water softener enough?

thx

Reaction Score
Do you have a preferred brand for tankless hot water heaters? I just installed a Stiebel Eltron electric...seems to be working well so far
Would you install a water softener and scale filter together or is the water softener enough?

thx
Rinnai and Bosch are the two I’ve had the best luck with. There are some distributors that sell Bosch under a house name for less. I’m not familiar enough with electric tankless water heaters to really give an opinion on those unfortunately. I would suggest installing the scale filter. Anything you can do to help it last longer is typically worth it. Since moving to GA I’ve dealt with plumbing quite a bit less than in CT. If I had one suggestion, when it comes to buying water heaters and boilers in CT, it’s almost always less expensive to call a plumber than an HVAC/plumbing combination company. One that only does Plumbing. Also, typically the smaller the company the less expensive they are (exceptions to every rule still exist).

Reaction Score
A few years ago I bought my first house (built in the 90s) with all original mechanicals still chugging along. We have oil that fuels both the furnace (forced hot air) and hot water heater using oil burners, in addition to central A/C so the whole house is already ducted. I would like to upgrade all of this, preferably moving entirely away from oil. We are on borrowed time especially with the ol’ Superstor water heater ready to burst at the seams.

I see there are loads of incentives (energizeCT rebates + loans, federal tax credits) for heat pump units and hot water heaters, I just don’t know how well these perform in our climate and whether these are suitable replacements here.

I spoke to a couple HVAC tech’s who both mentioned that heat pumps need a backup heat source for cold days (<30 degrees F), yet I have seen units in my limited research that are rated for performance down to -15F.

I can recite the career stats of Ruslan Inyatkin on demand, but I simply don’t know jack about boilers, burners, furnaces, coils and that speak. Has anyone had a similar experience converting over these systems and can offer any helpful advice?
Heat pump, unless it is geothermal, extracts heat from the air. So, the colder it is the more the pump has to run. If you have a heat pump with baseboard, it will heat. You can also put on the heat as electric heat, usually called emergency heat on those units - that’s straight electric.

I had a heat pump, it doesn’t work as well as what I have now, a Liquid Propane or Natrual Has boiler. I use that with an indirect water heater and it is unlimited hot water and the heat is really efficient.

Love the wall hung system.

Reaction Score
Did you only have to replace the outdoor unit and not the air handler? I’m guessing your AC system used 410A refrigerant if that’s the case. Either that or you should share the name of your contractor before he goes out of business.
The only thing you can ADD to a heat pump to heat to zero is the electric strip heater. You’re better off just switching to your boiler when it gets too cold. It’ll serve the purpose of your back up heat.

If someone has an oil furnace (meaning hot air) and not an oil boiler, you can add a new coil and a Heat Pump condenser for that price.
Correct - I kept my existing air handler and got a compatible out door condenser with heat pump. I think my plan is to add the electric strip heater once my boiler kicks the bucket which frankly could be any day now. I don’t have the desire to cough up $9-$10k to replace it at this point if the heat pump/ strip heater combo could do the job.

Reaction Score
I own a condo in NH ski country. When the unit was built in the 1980s, it was thought electricity prices were going to be cheap due to Seabrook so the heating systems and hot water heaters were all electric. Well, electricity prices in NH spiked and virtually all of the units in the complex installed Rinnai propane heaters to lower the heating bill. Recently, some in our complex have looked at heat pumps and they have come to the conclusion that the propane system was cheaper and worked better for heating, but some have installed heat pumps for cooling.

Reaction Score
Correct - I kept my existing air handler and got a compatible out door condenser with heat pump. I think my plan is to add the electric strip heater once my boiler kicks the bucket which frankly could be any day now. I don’t have the desire to cough up $9-$10k to replace it at this point if the heat pump/ strip heater combo could do the job.
Yeah it’s a pretty inexpensive option. The heat strip is a few hundred bucks but they’ll need to increase your breaker size to a 50 AMP or more. The bigger your house the less sense it makes long term. I’ve seen electric bills of $600-$800 using only heat strips so just be mindful. I’d consider a wood stove or pellet stove if it makes sense in your house to offset the use. Could cost you a 1/3rd of the cost. Dry air is another downside but it’s solvable. Might be rough on the property value having a bunch of baseboard with no hot water running through it but that might not matter to you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom