OT: - Heads Up: More conference realignment - thread on the General Board | The Boneyard

OT: Heads Up: More conference realignment - thread on the General Board

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If not a death knell, maybe a ventilator. Losing those two major brands (OU and Texas) hits the Big 12 hard. I can see West Virginia moving to the Big 10 or ACC. But the Big 12 would have 7 or 8 remaining teams that could sustain the Big 12. Just depends on the addition of teams that come in to push it back to 10 teams.

Reaction Score
If not a death knell, maybe a ventilator. Losing those two major brands (OU and Texas) hits the Big 12 hard. I can see West Virginia moving to the Big 10 or ACC. But the Big 12 would have 7 or 8 remaining teams that could sustain the Big 12. Just depends on the addition of teams that come in to push it back to 10 teams.
BiG is not adding WV.
doubtful ACC would

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
BiG is not adding WV.
doubtful ACC would
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't WVU rebuffed by both ACC and Big Ten in the 2012-13 scramble? Big 12 was sloppy thirds. Needing to compensate for the loss of TAMU and Missouri (and prior to that, Nebraska), the B12 rescued TCU from the Mountain West and staked its claim to the ever-lucrative northern Appalachia media market by taking WVU.

Everyone had been saying the Big 12 was the weak link in the "power 5" chain, and its viability rested heavily on UT and OU. It was more a question of when this would happen, not whether.

The Big 12 is thrown into flux to say the least, and its market value has taken a massive hit, but I'm not sure it disappears. I'm sure each of the remaining 8 will be seeking greener pastures, but in the meantime they'll look to poach a few of the Group of 5 schools to remain a "power-lite" conference. It also might become a bit of a revolving door, kinda like C-USA has been, with teams treating it is a way station in the quest for something better.

Reaction Score
Kansas and Iowa State are interested in joining BIG from Big 12. Both of these universities are members of the Association of American Universities, a prestigious group of the leading research universities in the US and Canada. All Ivies are in it, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, etc. All BIG too, except Nebraska which got voted out in 2011 (and some say that if losing AAU membership happened earlier they probably wouldn't have been invited into BIG). WV not an AAU member but geographically also fits with ACC, that is, if ACC pursues becoming a 16-team conference behemoth. UConn and Notre Dame (ND long-rumored to be on BIG wish list) are not AAU members either.

If these schools all leave then Big-12 will be kaput. And if so it'll be ironic as quite possibly AAC will become stronger.

I hope one day UConn is invited to join AAU and at that time might be a candidate to join BIG. While football is obviously the weak link, most of the other sports would actually be among the best in BIG! And is UConn football that much worse than Kansas (or Illinois for that matter)? Randy Edsall has done it before and hopefully will bring UConn football to national prominence again. UConn has scheduled several FB games vs. BIG so we'll see whether they can compete again.

My dad was a Purdue grad and my daughter recently graduated from Penn State. So I've been a BIG fan for decades, it's obviously an excellent conference and I hold out hope that one day it might happen for UConn.

But here we go again with conference realignments. Yikes!

Reaction Score
Kansas and Iowa State are interested in joining BIG from Big 12. Both of these universities are members of the Association of American Universities, a prestigious group of the leading rel !
BiG is not taking Iowa St either.

folks need to stop with this AAU stuff. It is a nice feature but is neither necessary nor sufficient to be in the BiG

WV and Iowa St do bring nearly enough value for the BiG to be intetrsted

Reaction Score
BiG is not adding WV.
doubtful ACC would

Times have changed, my friend. Big 10 might look to add on The Mountaineers. Heck nobody knows what is going to happen.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 goes down to 8, the AAC could be in trouble if they try to poach SMU and Houston. Another huge mess that football has created.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Times have changed, my friend. Big 10 might look to add on The Mountaineers. Heck nobody knows what is going to happen.
Finger Pointing Lol GIF by StickerGiant

Reaction Score
WV is an average FB program, is not a National brand, and adds no major or even medium media markets.
So no, WV will not be added.

Reaction Score
BiG is not taking Iowa St either.

folks need to stop with this AAU stuff. It is a nice feature but is neither necessary nor sufficient to be in the BiG

WV and Iowa St do bring nearly enough value for the BiG to be intetrsted
based upon many articles that are out there, AAU membership seems to be an historical requirement for the B1G to extend an invitation to join their conference. ND is a known exception that has been invited to join that's not in AAU and I'd agree with you that with today's economics other universities like ND would not have to be AAU members if it added value to the conference across as many sports as possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom