Hawkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I decided to use my first time post token on this, specifically the people in here suggesting Hawkins needs mentoring, counseling etc. This kid is 15 games into his D-1 career. He is the only freshman receiving any minutes. Experiencing his first semester of campus college life. Has not, I am sure from his own standpoint, played as well as he has liked. Yea he sulks, and the body language is not ideal at times. But to take that and say the kid has a confidence or any other problem is unfair, and not in the spirit of the board or what I at least come here to read. You ever play a bad round of golf and slam your club into the ground? Of course. Does that make it a guarantee you need a life coach? No.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with the OP. We should feature in him our offense more. He’s our 3rd best perimeter scorer behind Cole and Tyrese. Shouldnt be a catch and shoot guy. Like Donny said on the call too, let him play through his mistakes. That’s what messed up his confidence in the first place.
Are you cool with him playing through his mistakes if it means we lose to St. Johns? Because he was making a lot of mistakes, and not making wide open jump shots.

And to me Akok is a better perimeter scorer than Tyrese is.

Reaction Score
The worst thing to happen to Hawkins (and arguably the team) this year was him losing that ball against Michigan State. That really stripped him of his confidence. I don’t think his handle is as bad as it has looked, but he’s just so jittery out on the floor since the MSU game. He was looking ready to give us 10 PPG before that.

I think Donny Marshall recognizes this and sees the need for confidence, hence his comment about how he wishes Hurley would let him play rather than punishing him for his mistakes. This is clearly a kid who needs to be built up and is living inside of his own head.

The best cure is a breakout game, but he’s not really getting the chance yet. That chance might fall into his lap with Gaffney playing himself off of the court.

Last night when he put his head down after a TO, Rese literally grabbed the back of his hair and pulled his head up. That's the kind of leadership you can't put a recruiting ranking on and it makes a huge difference on the team. Rese and Cole are the first guy to celebrate, pick others up, get into the huddle, etc.

I've seen this Hawkins play probably 25 times now including hs and AAU. He has his weaknesses like everyone, but he's got the skills to be a contributor... there's no way he can't contribute at a Polley-ish level based on skills alone. it's ALL in his head right now.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I also noticed that his off-ball movement is not very good. He just stands on the wing and waits to get the ball. We run a lot of off ball screens and sets to get Polley open looks, hopefully we can start running a few for Hawkins too.

I'm sure a lot of his poor positioning on offense is due to the fact that in high school they'd just give him the ball and let him do his thing. Here, he needs to learn to get open without the rock in his hand (although the ability to breakdown a defender 1-on-1 is more than welcome given our lack of individual play makers).

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree with you more
He has the handle, I've seen it in games in past 2 plus years and at occasional practices but I think it is now a confidence thing in a game situation. I've seen this during my coaching career - like stage fright - and nearly all can shake it.
It's the coaching man, its the coaching
I’m sure in practice his handle is pretty good. Last night he dribbled twice between his legs to get defender on his heels before pulling up for 3. It was a nice move. He loses the ball constantly because he’s playing nervous as hell.

Reaction Score
I was hoping last night would be the start of a series of easier games that Hawkins would have the space to work through things but obviously that didn't play out. But now with the PC game off, games against the lower teams of the conference should, emphasis on should, give opportunities for this team to open up some leads early to give him the ability for a longer leash that he hasn't been afforded since Tyrese missed some time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I also noticed that his off-ball movement is not very good. He just stands on the wing and waits to get the ball. We run a lot of off ball screens and sets to get Polley open looks, hopefully we can start running a few for Hawkins too.

I'm sure a lot of his poor positioning on offense is due to the fact that in high school they'd just give him the ball and let him do his thing. Here, he needs to learn to get open without the rock in his hand (although the ability to breakdown a defender 1-on-1 is more than welcome given our lack of individual play makers).
I think it's more of they're not running anything for him plus nerves. If they were running sets for him he'd be running. He can be a great scorer if we put him in the right spots

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need to continue to play him through the mistakes. We can’t get zero experience out of this freshman class. Who knows what our team will look like next year. Just don’t put him in a position to do a lot of dribbling. Run him off screens, use him as a catch and shoot threat. His defense has been excellent.

Reaction Score
The good thing is being a freshman whatever he gives us is a true bonus.

Its obvious he needs more playing time, and be allowed to play through his mistakes. AJ made some terrible passes, but was allowed to remain in the game, they were basically ignored. I won't talk about Gaffney's leash. With Hawkins he may get one allowed turnover, but rarely 2.

Just saying it would nice to allow Hawkins to get comfortable on the court, which can only happen with more PT. I'd like Hurley to unleash him, instilling confidence. Just needs one breakout game if you ask me.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He has a beautiful shot and is aggressive taking the ball to the rim. He needs to keep shooting but Hurley needs to have Hawkins run through screens and move without the ball like Rip. Hawkins can't dribble right now but he can shoot. To utilize Hawkins efficiently, we can't give him the ball outside the three-point line with under 10 seconds left on the shot clock and force him to make a decision. Have him run through screens and get a clean look for three, mid-range, or layup. That will boost his confidence and help the team out
The problem is hawk is coming in when RJ goes out and we can’t run offensive sets without him.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Understand Captain America GIF

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Seems very mechanical with his handle. Almost stiff. If he could get by people, it would open up his shooting drastically.
I was really tired last night, and had to get up early this morning to freeze one of my left ones off on the river, so this didn't get into the "ThoughtZ" post, but I've noticed over several games where Hurley's trying to give Hawkins minutes. that he has the same issue with ball handling that AJax and Gaffney have. When pressured -- or even in close proximity to a defender -- they all tend to dribble far from their body, with an extended arm. And it leads to loss of control and eventually loss of possession.

Reaction Score
The worst thing to happen to Hawkins (and arguably the team) this year was him losing that ball against Michigan State. That really stripped him of his confidence. I don’t think his handle is as bad as it has looked, but he’s just so jittery out on the floor since the MSU game. He was looking ready to give us 10 PPG before that.

I think Donny Marshall recognizes this and sees the need for confidence, hence his comment about how he wishes Hurley would let him play rather than punishing him for his mistakes. This is clearly a kid who needs to be built up and is living inside of his own head.

The best cure is a breakout game, but he’s not really getting the chance yet. That chance might fall into his lap with Gaffney playing himself off of the court.
He does need to play through some adversity. But UCONN really needed to win the SJU game. There are teams coming up where he can get more run.

Reaction Score
I am coming around to change my mind about Hawk and his need for personal coaching. I always have said it was lack of confidence due to immaturity and that he would grow out of it on his own. I now believe that he needs some one on one mentoring. He has the skills but as you said stage fright. I had seen it in the Air Force with our “Jeeps” - rookies straight out of tech school. Some would just about freeze and be so afraid that they were doing something wrong and the fighter plane would crash. Often those guys with the highest grades in tech school were the most chicken schiest.

Hawkins has the skills just like our “jeeps”.
How about Taliek to coach him?

Reaction Score
Patience is a good word here. Hawkins will be a very good player; he just needs to find his groove. There is a natural flow to these things, and he is well on his way.

Reaction Score
This is what makes good players great. It's his job to figure it out with support from the staff. Adversity is a good thing. Back when JC had the quick hook, we loved it...

Reaction Score
He's getting good open looks. You can't really do anything for him at this point. He has to figure it out himself.

Reaction Score
He has a beautiful shot and is aggressive taking the ball to the rim. He needs to keep shooting but Hurley needs to have Hawkins run through screens and move without the ball like Rip. Hawkins can't dribble right now but he can shoot. To utilize Hawkins efficiently, we can't give him the ball outside the three-point line with under 10 seconds left on the shot clock and force him to make a decision. Have him run through screens and get a clean look for three, mid-range, or layup. That will boost his confidence and help the team out
The games has not slowed down enough yet for him but he is very close! He will be a very good option before season is over!

Reaction Score
The simplest thing to do is find the spot on the court were is almost automatic and get the ball to him there.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
They've got two weeks and four games left to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom