OT: - Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tell me it was Walters and you had either the lamb and feta or ratatouille omelette.

It was not Walters this time but I've been there. It was the 50s-ish diner, Village Grill maybe? I've had a case pending out in San Bern for the last couple years and I've gotten into the habit of stopping in Claremont for breakfast on the way back to LA. Really nice little town.

Reaction Score
I went to Pomona (when Gregg Popovich was our basketball coach - for real) and still live in LA. Things are certainly different than when I went there, but it's one of if not the best small liberal arts schools in the country. Westwood is much closer to the ocean so that's why the swings are less. 40+ miles makes a big difference. Malibu to Agoura Hills is less than 15 miles and the temperature difference can easily be more than 30 degrees in the summer (like 68 to 105). But compared to CT, Claremont, CA is pretty awesome all year round. The downtown (called Clareville) is really cool - make sure you check it out when you visit. I would imagine if Pomona is on your list, you are also going to see Claremont McKenna and Occidental, although Occidentals surroundings aren't nearly as nice. Probably wouldn't hurt to put Pepperdine on the list as well. I would say the most gorgeous college campus in the country if you (he) are (is) OK with the very Christian focus of the school. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about Pomona and/or Claremont. I would guess that @Gurleyman could provide even more relevant information than I can.
Basically, looking at schools with good pre-med programs and good financial aid. Pomona appeared to be the best west coast liberal arts option. He is not set on an actual major but likes Physics as one possibility. I like the Claremont schools due to the ability to take classes at the sister schools like Harvey Mudd for Physics. One interesting option that popped up is Rice. Another major that interests him is exercise science or Kinesiology and Rice is one of the best schools that offers it. It may be a little too hot though as he likes to run.

Reaction Score
The perfect combination of colleges is

Williams or Amherest and then whatever else...

Harvard/Duke/Michigan MBA

Harvard/Yale/Princeton Law

Science/MD probably a different combination
But they are all full of those disgusting people you rail against on here daily.

Reaction Score
Hope he gets into Stanford. That place is impossible to get into. My son went to a pretty good public school that sends multiple kids to Ivies every year. It's a good school. In the last 10 years 41 kids have applied to Stanford. Not a single one got in despite lots of kids getting into Harvard, Princeton, etc. I have no idea what they're looking for.
It is interesting. On one hand you would think their desire for geographic diversity would make it easier for east coast kids. On the other hand, yield is a big deal to these schools and kids to tend to stay close to home. The question is, would applying early action negate the yield issue? Probably not as it is non-binding at Stanford.

Thanks for that tidbit of data! It is pretty revealing.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I've had similar experiences, a few nerdy d-bags but also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and a basketball player, Reggie Love.....good dude. Met Duhon and had to rub the 2004 victory in a little bit.
Reggie Love was the commencement speaker at my high school graduation. He went to the same HS as me in Charlotte

Reaction Score
I knew a handful of dookies from playing against the club soccer team while in Chapel Hill, and worked with a few grad students. They were all surprisingly cool people.

However, my wife worked at duke hospital and those are some of the worst people I've ever met...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Basically, looking at schools with good pre-med programs and good financial aid. Pomona appeared to be the best west coast liberal arts option. He is not set on an actual major but likes Physics as one possibility. I like the Claremont schools due to the ability to take classes at the sister schools like Harvey Mudd for Physics. One interesting option that popped up is Rice. Another major that interests him is exercise science or Kinesiology and Rice is one of the best schools that offers it. It may be a little too hot though as he likes to run.
The ability to take classes at the other 5 Claremont Colleges is huge. Harvey Mudd has great engineering, math, physics and other specialized sciences. Claremont McKenna has great business classes (in the past I've heard they are better than Harvard). Pitzer and Scripps have top social science classes and Pomona is obviously top notch in all liberal arts and just a great education in general. Certainly the options for classes are like being in small college while delivering university level opportunities.

Obviously I'm a big proponent.

Reaction Score
It is interesting. On one hand you would think their desire for geographic diversity would make it easier for east coast kids. On the other hand, yield is a big deal to these schools and kids to tend to stay close to home. The question is, would applying early action negate the yield issue? Probably not as it is non-binding at Stanford.

Thanks for that tidbit of data! It is pretty revealing.

I think it makes it easier for kids in North Dakota and Oklahoma. They've got no problem hitting their quota of New Yorkers or Connecticut kids.

Reaction Score
The ability to take classes at the other 5 Claremont Colleges is huge. Harvey Mudd has great engineering, math, physics and other specialized sciences. Claremont McKenna has great business classes (in the past I've heard they are better than Harvard). Pitzer and Scripps have top social science classes and Pomona is obviously top notch in all liberal arts and just a great education in general. Certainly the options for classes are like being in small college while delivering university level opportunities.

We've got a family friend whose kid is at Harvard in large part because he didn't get in to Harvey Mudd.

Reaction Score

Are you originally from CT?

Reaction Score
If he likes the warmer weather and a P5 atmosphere, Vanderbilt is probably a baby step behind Puke academically but the girls are way, way better and Nashville beats Raleigh any day. Tulane also comes to mind and he would get to go to various Husky games until we are rescued.
Yep, Vandy is on the list. His school band is going to Nashville in the spring so he will get to visit while down there.
I have never been to Raleigh but I can tell you that Duke does not rate well for campus safety. It is probably the biggest negative and took me by surprise.

Reaction Score
If he can get into Duke would Yale be a reach? Yale undergrads are top notch. At Duke you better have a trust fund, a prep school diploma and drive a BMW, or be from a foreign country.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that you mentioned your son liking the smaller liberal arts schools. My son attended a basketball clinic at Williams last summer and really liked it. However, he also likes warmer weather and it is COLD at Williams.
Warmer weather, good private school alternatives to Pook: Vandy, Wake, Davidson, Emory, Tulane, Stanford?

Reaction Score
Yep, Vandy is on the list. His school band is going to Nashville in the spring so he will get to visit while down there.
I have never been to Raleigh but I can tell you that Duke does not rate well for campus safety. It is probably the biggest negative and took me by surprise.
Duke is in a really crappy area. Campus is beautiful, but take one step off and you're in some rough neighborhoods. Durham is actually going through a gentrification in the downtown area, but the majority of it is still not somewhere you want to spend much time. Raleigh is much nicer, but the downtown area can get a little dicey at times which is pretty much the case for any large city. Chapel hill is definitely the gem of the triangle.

While you're rooting around down south why not check out charlottesville? School is just as good, in a much better area, and you'll get a pretty comparable level of douchey-ness among the undergrads

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Are you originally from CT?
Yes - my first 5 years of life were in Bristol and the next 8 years in Coventry and the final four years in Windsor at Loomis Chaffee before I sent sail to Pomona College in Claremont.

Reaction Score
Yes - my first 5 years of life were in Bristol and the next 8 years in Coventry and the final four years in Windsor at Loomis Chaffee before I sent sail to Pomona College in Claremont.
What is it like to be that far away from home for college?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What is it like to be that far away from home for college?
It was pretty easy for me because I went to Loomis as a boarding student so I was already used to being without my folks around all the time and knowing how to study, etc. I was also really independent to begin with. When I was 17 I flew out to LA by myself to make the final decision between Oxi and Pomona. It was a big challenge for a lot of people around me. My roommate didn't make it through the year.

I wouldn't change it for me. I loved it. But your mileage may vary. It really depends on your kid and how well they cope in new situations, get along with new people, can rely on themselves, have some semblance of self control, etc.

Reaction Score
While you're rooting around down south why not check out charlottesville? School is just as good, in a much better area, and you'll get a pretty comparable level of douchey-ness among the undergrads
Speaking of Stanford and UVA, the valedictorian of my son's class applied to Stanford because both of her parents went there. Even with the legacy she still didn't get in and she ended up going to UVA. Also, two daughters of a good friend of mine are both at UVA and they love it.

Reaction Score
Have to say I was disappointed in Vandy when we visited. UVa on the other hand was a favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom