Happy Festivus to All | The Boneyard

Happy Festivus to All

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Today is Dec 23... Time to celebrate a Festivus for the rest of us.

The feats of strength... the Festivus meal... are all a part of this long held holiday. But the tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people. :mad:

@Sifaka Using too many big words that require me to google the definition :mad:

@Plebe Constant putdowns of my favorite conference, the "overrated" ACC :mad:

@cancontent I still haven't gotten a package filled with poutine :mad:

@Krispy Kreme I wanted a Cake Batter Donut not a Blueberry :mad::mad:

Please others join in with their grievances.... meal plans... and/or tales of their feats of strength.

Reaction Score
Today is Dec 23... Time to celebrate a Festivus for the rest of us.

The feats of strength... the Festivus meal... are all a part of this long held holiday. But the tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people. :mad:

@Sifaka Using too many big words that require me to google the definition :mad:

@Plebe Constant putdowns of my favorite conference, the "overrated" ACC :mad:

@cancontent I still haven't gotten a package filled with poutine :mad:

@Krispy Kreme I wanted a Cake Batter Donut not a Blueberry :mad::mad:

Please others join in with their grievances.... meal plans... and/or tales of their feats of strength.
Any attempts to ship would get stopped at the border for various reasons, mainly too delicious to get past customs inspections!

Fresh poutine is the only way to go my friend. We'd have to meet up in Montreal, QC. :D You bring the Cheerwine.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
happy festivus, and mayo returns to you!
and speaking of donuts, i have a lot of problems with supermarket ones lately as they all seem to be shrunken. i called them. they were very nice aboot my complaint, and told me to go to helen waite. i guess that she is in charge of bakery issues.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Any attempts to ship would get stopped at the border for various reasons, mainly too delicious to get past customs inspections!

Fresh poutine is the only way to go my friend. We'd have to meet up in Montreal, QC. :D You bring the Cheerwine.

Yeah, I forgot about that border issue. :oops:

But there is a restaurant about 30 minutes away... been wanting to check out for awhile. While there might be other places that have poutine on the menu... I know this place does.... it was featured on our news station a few years ago. The country style poutine with grilled chicken, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, green papers, and onions.... my goodness:eek:

Reaction Score
Yeah, I forgot about that border issue. :oops:

But there is a restaurant about 30 minutes away... been wanting to check out for awhile. While there might be other places that have poutine on the menu... I know this place does.... it was featured on our news station a few years ago. The country style poutine with grilled chicken, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, green papers, and onions.... my goodness:eek:

Nice to see there's somewhere close by that at least knows how to make it. And they use cheese curds....awesome.

Their style for the original is a little different from what I'm used to. I've never seen the curds melted before adding the gravy. Takes away from the fun of seeing the curds melt in the gravy as you eat it, personally.

The variations, oh man..............it can get crazy from what I've seen over the years, but when done right, they're all delicious. There was a restaurant in a small town in Alberta that had cheese curds with a hint a feta, with a gravy that had beef shavings in it. My sales crew made the 30 min trek from our hotel at least 5 times in one week just to eat it.

Did I hear the person conducting the interview correctly when she said gravy on fries is unusual in the NC area? Is this true???

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nice to see there's somewhere close by that at least knows how to make it. And they use cheese curds....awesome.

Their style for the original is a little different from what I'm used to. I've never seen the curds melted before adding the gravy. Takes away from the fun of seeing the curds melt in the gravy as you eat it, personally.

The variations, oh man..............it can get crazy from what I've seen over the years, but when done right, they're all delicious. There was a restaurant in a small town in Alberta that had cheese curds with a hint a feta, with a gravy that had beef shavings in it. My sales crew made the 30 min trek from our hotel at least 5 times in one week just to eat it.

Did I hear the person conducting the interview correctly when she said gravy on fries is unusual in the NC area? Is this true???

Yeah, the gravy on the fries isn't something that I've heard people doing down here. In a way it makes sense, as alot of people put gravy on mashed potatoes (the cousin of the french fry). On the menu of the place, they have a Greek Poutine... with roasted gyro meat.....im sure they could throw in some feta into the cheese curds before they melt it. Not sure if it would be the same though.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan,

Reporting for duty, Sir/Ma'am.

Grievances? None worthy of mention. I woke up on the right side of the grass today, so I suppose I can cope with the leaky pipe in the basement, the transmission that died just a week after the new alternator and rack and pinion assembly drained all the excess from the checking account. Hell, it's an old car. Things wear out. Just ask my knee. No, life is pretty good.

Mark Twain and H.L Mencken have said what needs saying about our governing class (Those last two words seem to be in perpetual conflict.) so I am free to focus on good music, good food, fine friends.

Feats of strength? My lady cooked a shepherd's pie for what you and I would call dinner or supper. She says it's “tea”. Brits talk funny. Oh! Feats of strength. I successfully pushed back from the table after eating seconds.

Wishing you a warm and felicitous happy Festivous. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man more pressure. Now it's necessary for me to be happy about something else this time of year. These days I feel enough pressure to respond when someone says "How are you?" with a smile. I'm glad we don't celebrate Boxing Day in this country .:rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, the gravy on the fries isn't something that I've heard people doing down here. In a way it makes sense, as alot of people put gravy on mashed potatoes (the cousin of the french fry).
My daughter would recoil at the idea that mashed potatoes are the cousin of the French fry. Girl won’t touch a potato that hasn’t been fried or otherwise charred.

I likewise hadn’t heard of gravy on fries till I’d heard of poutine. Ketchup, malt vinegar, mayo, cheese/cheese sauce, but not gravy. In the unlikely event that UConn plays a Canadian team for Edwards’s homecoming, I’ll definitely give a go at making poutine.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My daughter would recoil at the idea that mashed potatoes are the cousin of the French fry. Girl won’t touch a potato that hasn’t been fried or otherwise charred.

I likewise hadn’t heard of gravy on fries till I’d heard of poutine. Ketchup, malt vinegar, mayo, cheese/cheese sauce, but not gravy. In the unlikely event that UConn plays a Canadian team for Edwards’s homecoming, I’ll definitely give a go at making poutine.
Gravy on French Fries isn't all that unusual in NJ diners. I like brown gravy on my fries, although Ketchup will do. The only thing I use ketchup on, really.

Some restaurants out here in Arizona do gravy on fries. My latest go to burger joint, for example.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My friend, when you start a thread about Festivus and end up hijacking your own thread because you got distracted by poutine, you may have an issue.
today diet GIF

Reaction Score
Man more pressure. Now it's necessary for me to be happy about something else this time of year. These days I feel enough pressure to respond when someone says "How are you?" with a smile. I'm glad we don't celebrate Boxing Day in this country .:rolleyes:
Technically, Boxing day is an English tradition related to actual giving of Christmas boxes. No fighting involved. Why is the day after Christmas called Boxing Day?.

Boxing day now is a large sales day after Christmas, but never as insane as what I've seen in the US on Black Friday though. I call it US Boxing day when I talk to my friends in the States for that specific reason.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the gravy on the fries isn't something that I've heard people doing down here. In a way it makes sense, as alot of people put gravy on mashed potatoes (the cousin of the french fry). On the menu of the place, they have a Greek Poutine... with roasted gyro meat.....im sure they could throw in some feta into the cheese curds before they melt it. Not sure if it would be the same though.

With everything else that I've seen gravy poured on in the States, I'm still shocked by this. When I was offered gravy with my biscuits when I was in NC one year, I almost fell off my chair. Initially because of the idea and then after realizing what the hell have I been missing all my life!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My friend, when you start a thread about Festivus and end up hijacking your own thread because you got distracted by poutine, you may have an issue.

It would have been a Festivus miracle if a thread I'm involved in didn't get hijacked one way or another :cool:

With everything else that I've seen gravy poured on in the States, I'm still shocked by this. When I was offered gravy with my biscuits when I was in NC one year, I almost fell off my chair. Initially because of the idea and then after realizing what the hell have I been missing all my life!

giphy.gif

That's both amazing and a lil sad..... gravy and biscuits is as natural as maple syrup and pancakes, peanut butter and jelly, Ashford and Simpson. Hopefully it was white gravy.... and especially hopeful it was white sausage gravy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Technically, Boxing day is an English tradition related to actual giving of Christmas boxes. No fighting involved. Why is the day after Christmas called Boxing Day?.

Boxing day now is a large sales day after Christmas, but never as insane as what I've seen in the US on Black Friday though. I call it US Boxing day when I talk to my friends in the States for that specific reason.

That confused me for the longest, but an ex-Canadian friend explained it to me a few years back.

Reaction Score
It would have been a Festivus miracle if a thread I'm involved in didn't get hijacked one way or another :cool:

giphy.gif

That's both amazing and a lil sad..... gravy and biscuits is as natural as maple syrup and pancakes, peanut butter and jelly, Ashford and Simpson. Hopefully it was white gravy.... and especially hopeful it was white sausage gravy.
It definitely was white gravy, but it didn't include sausage. Nice touch with the Ashford and Simpson reference and the Jim Ross meme.;)

Reaction Score
That confused me for the longest, but an ex-Canadian friend explained it to me a few years back.
Many of my American friends were in the same boat as yourself. That and why some of our holidays didn't line up with the US (e.g. Thanksgiving).

I used to be a customer service rep who dealt with a US regional office. There were a couple reps where we would argue over which country had more holidays than the other. I keep in touch with a few of them to this day and we still go at it. :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Important reminder:
holt how are you.PNG

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

So happy Boxing Day. Now the pressure's on you.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Glad you found and chose to embrace the light. Biscuits and gravy is beauty in simplicity. Back in the USENET days, there was a thread on rec.food.cooking about them. One guy poated a recipe in which he added extra lard to the sausage and used the biscuit from (I am not making this up) the Bad for you cookbook.

I just had my blood drawn for my semi-annual blood chemistry, so will probably cook some up in a few days.

Tomorrow is roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with among other things a squash, apple, and sausage casserole on the side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom