Hal Greer | The Boneyard

Hal Greer

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can't believe anyone has not posted anything about his passing
He had one of the most beautiful jump shots and one of the few ever to use the jump shot as a free throw
I remember my father taking me to the old Boston Garden in 1967 to watch the Sixers and Celtics and was amazed at this guy's shooting accuracy. (Probably why nobody commented/posted because 95% of those who post here weren't born then!)
We were going to watch Toby Kimball in his rookie year. I was a huge John H fan but I couldn't keep my eyes off of Greer - but thinking back what a court full of stars and as I remember Bill Russell was a player/coach. Very weird.
I think Greer still holds the Philly scoring record and if they had the 3 pt back then he would probably be the NBA's top scorer

RIP Hal

Reaction Score
Oh I remember him well. He was a superstar. Seemed like players shot better back then.

Reaction Score
Also known is the baddest guy in the. NBA . The big guys didn’t even mess with him.
He was also a terrific player .
I think someone posted this on the women’s board yesterday.
I don’t believe there was a thread in the men’s board when Arnold Palmer died, Apparently the board is mostly comprised of youngsters.

Reaction Score
Started watching the Celts / 76ers with dad and Greer was a great player, that was fun basketball to watch as the rivalries were real. Greer was really and I hated Walli Jones and Archie Clark, not sure why I was 9-10 but dad didn't like them so why not. Cunningham, Guokas, Luke Jackson good memories of a Sunday after mom made an eye of the round after church and then watching hoop with dad - old time NBA hoops.

RIP hal

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Started watching the Celts / 76ers with dad and Greer was a great player, that was fun basketball to watch as the rivalries were real. Greer was really and I hated Walli Jones and Archie Clark, not sure why I was 9-10 but dad didn't like them so why not. Cunningham, Guokas, Luke Jackson good memories of a Sunday after mom made an eye of the round after church and then watching hoop with dad - old time NBA hoops.

RIP hal

I was just the opposite. My dad was a Yale fan, so I became a Harvard and Princeton fan. He grew up in the Boston area so he rooted for all the Boston teams. I was all NYC...Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, any team that wears a NY uniform.

The two teams we agreed on and watched religiously were the NY Giants and the UConn Huskies. He grew up during an era when there was no football team in Boston, so the Giants were it, plus we lived in NJ. Late in his life, tired of Yawkey, Yaz and the other prima donnas that populated the Red Sox clubhouse, he actually became a Yankee fan the night Chambliss hit the walkoff homer to win the AL pennant, so we were united for the last several years of his life.

I was a huge Hal Greer fan and loved the Sixers. Any team that beats Boston is my team.

RIP, Hal.

Reaction Score
I was just the opposite. My dad was a Yale fan, so I became a Harvard and Princeton fan. He grew up in the Boston area so he rooted for all the Boston teams. I was all NYC...Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, any team that wears a NY uniform.

The two teams we agreed on and watched religiously were the NY Giants and the UConn Huskies. He grew up during an era when there was no football team in Boston, so the Giants were it, plus we lived in NJ. Late in his life, tired of Yawkey, Yaz and the other prima donnas that populated the Red Sox clubhouse, he actually became a Yankee fan the night Chambliss hit the walkoff homer to win the AL pennant, so we were united for the last several years of his life.

I was a huge Hal Greer fan and loved the Sixers. Any team that beats Boston is my team.

RIP, Hal.

I'm all NY (yanks, giants, rangers) with the C's for the NBA. My grandfather was a Sox fan as were his brothers but he wanted to be different. They're all Giant fans and Norte Dame football back then.

Reaction Score

RIP, Hal.

Yaz was such a prime donna, nothing like those "humble, keep your head down" 70's Yankees...

RIP Hal Greer. Thanks for not beating the C's too often!

Reaction Score

RIP hal
I remember when the 76'ers were the Syracuse Nationals and that rivalry began. I was a little kid but I remember the Syracuse " nats". I wondered at that time why they named the team after an annoying insect.

Reaction Score
Oh I remember him well. He was a superstar. Seemed like players shot better back then.

I always felt this way too, but then you look at percentages and they are so much lower. Greer was a career 45% shooter. Certainly not bad, but... If you go back further, the big men all shot pretty poor percentages.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always felt this way too, but then you look at percentages and they are so much lower. Greer was a career 45% shooter. Certainly not bad, but... If you go back further, the big men all shot pretty poor percentages.
That's why those big guy rebounding totals were so high back in the day. Lotta bricks.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Spent 13 yrs in Philly, and Mr. Greer is revered there. He is in the Philly hoops pantheon, right up there w/ Wilt, Walt Hazzard, Kobe, Earl the Pearl and Rip.

Reaction Score
Give me 45% shooting guards this year, especially from 3.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="AZHuskiePop, post: 2691876, member: 1609"
I don’t believe there was a thread in the men’s board when Arnold Palmer died, Apparently the board is mostly comprised of youngsters.[/QUOTE]

Arnold Palmer died ?!
Oh, no.

Reaction Score

RIP hal
Don' forget Chet Walker. Excellent wars with Havlicec.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom