Guard Depth | The Boneyard

Guard Depth

Reaction Score
With Tyrese Martin gone and R.J. Cole’s decision yet to come, I’m not super excited about our guard depth. Gaffney is our most experienced guard, while the others don’t have lots of PT so it’s hard to predict who will take that highly coveted starting guard roles. If we want to be a championship team again, we need to be sufficient at that position. ‘99 had El-Amin and Moore, ‘04 Gordon and Williams, ‘11 Kemba and Jeremy, and ‘14 Shabazz and Boatright. Do we trust our young, inexperienced guards, or do we seek the transfer portal?

Reaction Score
Both. Probably need one good transfer guard and trust in the development of Diggins and Floyd. Gaffney really needs to step his game up

Reaction Score
Do you think that is a reasonable expectation heading into his senior year? It's not like he hasn't been given chances.
Fair ask.

IMO, a senior year Craig Austrie is a fair ceiling for Jalen Gaffney. This isn't a slight on him at all...that type of guard is very useful.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair ask.

IMO, a senior year Craig Austrie is a fair ceiling for Jalen Gaffney. This isn't a slight on him at all...that type of guard is very useful.

I would be ecstatic if Gaff could play like Austrie.

Gaff regressed this year to the point where on multiple occasions he couldn't walk and dribble at the same time.

Reaction Score
Gaff Takes the ball to the hoop very strong and gets open at the rim, however he does not finish, if he could get a few of those to fall maybe just maybe he can gain some confidence

Reaction Score
Do you think that is a reasonable expectation heading into his senior year? It's not like he hasn't been given chances.
I don’t know. Possible but my guess would be no if he doesn’t change his mental approach.

Reaction Score
Agree with premise of the post, but I'm thinking 04' had Gordon & Taliek Brown, (not Marcus Williams).

Marcus Williams had a year with no adequate backup when we lost to NC State, just like Cole was essentially our only ball handling distributing end of shot clock player this year.

Reaction Score
With Tyrese Martin gone and R.J. Cole’s decision yet to come, I’m not super excited about our guard depth. Gaffney is our most experienced guard, while the others don’t have lots of PT so it’s hard to predict who will take that highly coveted starting guard roles. If we want to be a championship team again, we need to be sufficient at that position. ‘99 had El-Amin and Moore, ‘04 Gordon and Williams, ‘11 Kemba and Jeremy, and ‘14 Shabazz and Boatright. Do we trust our young, inexperienced guards, or do we seek the transfer portal?
Check this guys fan credentials
“04 had Gordon and Williams (?)”. I think Williams us another name for Taliek Brown.

Kidding. But your right. We had a mixture of power(4/5) skill (wing)and strong-finesse with our 2 free play guards.

Reaction Score
Hawk, Corey Floyd, Sool and Jaelin Llewellyn transferring in would make a really good rotation of guards. Gaff can play his 3-7 minutes per game when needed.

Reaction Score
Check this guys fan credentials
“04 had Gordon and Williams (?)”. I think Williams us another name for Taliek Brown.

Kidding. But your right. We had a mixture of power(4/5) skill (wing)and strong-finesse with our 2 free play guards.

Williams was there, but sat out the 2nd semester on academic probation

Reaction Score
maybe i'm just a pessimist but i think we'd be lucky to land a senior year craig austrie in the transfer portal.

imo gaffney's ceiling is more like a senior year tarin smith or antwoine anderson, i.e., if he's starting you're on a sub .500 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom