Group of Five football playoff idea is not going away despite myriad obstacles (Dodd) | The Boneyard

Group of Five football playoff idea is not going away despite myriad obstacles (Dodd)

Reaction Score
I like where it showed the 8 team playoff for the G5 if it happened in 2016.

AAC has 4 out of the 8 teams.

AAC will stay with the P6, but thanks for asking.

If 4 teams generated 20m each and kept most of it then hmmmm. But there would be pressure not to send 4 from 1 conference. Still further marginalizes AAC pernanently but there are positive trade offs as well. Not necessarily buying the $160m figure though.

Reaction Score
It sounds like one guy at a school with 28 million dollar athletic budget beating a dead horse. For less than 3 million a year he is asking all of the G5 schools to relegate THEMSELVES.

That sounds like the P5's wet dream to me.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If this goes through, it just gives more ammo for the P5 to further exclude the rest from their postseason opportunities. This could banish the G5 forever. And, I don't believe that $160 million number for a second.

Reaction Score
8 team NCAA playoff with one AAC seat is the only minimum answer to this mess. They know they can't move to 8 without opening Pandora's box, so the P5 will milk the current system until the separation becomes so big, there is no return.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Again another big thank you to ESPN and BC for keeping UConn out of the power conference. Head bang

Reaction Score
I have no idea exactly how they'd go about it but the AAC should be able to make a big enough stink in court to get a seat at the table. That stink would force some sort of expansion of major conferences and merging of the AAC and Mountain West. My concern is that this will be another instance, like B12 expansion, where the schools with the most to lose, vote as told to by the bigger schools and in do doing so commit suicide. For whatever reason, conference realignment has caused one school after another to back down on common sense issues. What is in it for the people promoting this G5 championship? Something doesn't smell right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hell No. This would only be possible if there was a new division between FBS and whatever the G5 would be, something a school like UConn could never support. If they expanded the P5 to add 6-8 teams with the budget to compete, maybe it would be feasible.

Reaction Score
It's better than the boring minor bowl circuit. It's likely that a lot of the minor bowls will be bankrupt in the next few years, thus the G5 playoff talk.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If this happens, we might as well put "Division 2" on all of our signs and letterheads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom