OT: - Greek islands | The Boneyard

OT: Greek islands

Reaction Score
Anyone been to Greece? Where did you go and month/year, what islands did you visit? Thinking about next year mid-late September. Was going to stay in Cyclades but also want to see Ephesus if possible, maybe too much. Everyone goes to Santorini, it must be beautiful but I’m worried it’s too crowded to enjoy.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Greece? Where did you go and month/year, what islands did you visit? Thinking about next year mid-late September. Was going to stay in Cyclades but also want to see Ephesus if possible, maybe too much. Everyone goes to Santorini, it must be beautiful but I’m worried it’s too crowded to enjoy.
We went on a Mediterranean cruise in May 2019 that started in Athens, went to Santorini then other ports then ended in wonderful Barcelona. The Acropolis was amazing and the views are great but I thought Athens was just another big (old) city overall.

the Santorini port is a tourist trap - think Bahamas. And people ride mules up the cliff and they STINK. Donkey poop everywhere on the stairs. But there is another side of the island we didn’t have time to see that is supposed to be much less touristy. My advice is to get a guidebook and do a lot of research

3D0C0E18-E648-4371-BB81-0D864389CD24.jpeg

Reaction Score
If you offer more detail about what your travel interests are it might be easier to make suggestions: beaches? hiking? museums? ruins?

Also your philosophy of travel: go to as many places as possible in two weeks (shallow but wide cast of net), or limit places (deeper but narrower). I went to Italy & France with my daughter (my first trip to Europe and her college graduation present). I spent three weeks in Italy and three weeks in France and one of the best times was the week spent in Torca, Italy near Naples (see photo - best food of the trip was in this little restaurant in Torca. L to R is Giacomo, my daughter, me). Did the same in France, that is, i limited my travel but stayed in smaller places longer to have the opportunity to visit with locals. I will always try to travel this way again; traveler vs tourist...

Attachments

• restaurant.jpg
    restaurant.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 106

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
the Santorini port is a tourist trap - think Bahamas.
Nan, there's Nassau, Grand Bahama and the Cruise line's privates...

Then, there's the rest of the Bahamas...
Including places, quite the opposite of a tourist trap.
Take Spanish Well's for example...our destination for Sept/October...
The local's are self-sufficient, make plenty of moolah and if anything are disinterested in tourists and tourism...Love it
The Abacos (a dozen or more islands) and the Exumas (scores) are somewhat set up for tourism but generally peaceful and uncrowded...Beyond that: Eleuthera, Long Island, Andros, the Berry's...shhhh.....

For folks going to the tourney: take the Ferry to Spanish Wells and Harbour Island...the latter, the St. Barts of the Bahamas...the upscale destination for the rich and famous...but still uncrowded and authentic...just pricey and wonderful.

Reaction Score

I thought Ephesus was in Turkey.

Reaction Score
I definitely want slow and not a “If this is Tuesday, it must be Belgium” pace. Ideally, 3-4 days each place to actually see it a little. Two weeks mean maybe 3 places. Assuming travel into & out of Athens, I’ve read it’s best to fly into Athens and then go immediately to first island destination. When done island hopping, then return to Athens, where you are going to fly out from anyway, and then explore Athens last before leaving. Interests are pretty little villages, checking out churches and museums and historical places, eating good Greek food- what everyone would want. Going to beaches but not just laying on the beach all day. I’m 64 and in good health and hope to walk & hike some, swim in the warm water- but I want to avoid places swarming with other tourists. Hoping to have other family members come along. Don’t think a cruise will do it- not my cup of tea, want to be in places after the cruise boats depart.
So, maybe just the Cyclades, but if I veered to get to Rhodes, then maybe Ephesus which is supposed to be stunning, becomes possible, but already one sister says she has to see Santorini, which in September might not be overcrowded.

Reaction Score
Yes, many times. Am half Greek (and was conceived there--something I'm not glad I know).

Are you wedded to the Cyclades only?

A few things. Do stay away from both Santorini (and Mykonos; both are now tourist traps and there are much nicer islands to visit, without all the crowds). Instead, visit Syros. Lots to see and much less traveled. (My 93 year-old father says he's thinking about which other Cyclades islands to recommend. I'll get back with those recs.) In the meantime, check out this great article of other recs. We've been to most of these, too. Some are on the mainland, in the Peloponnesus (where my family is from), so not an island, per se: Thrillist Article

Other things
September is a gorgeous month to visit. The weather will be warm, but there will be fewer summer tourists. Don't shy away from Athens for a couple of days, either. Certainly see the Acropolis, and if you can, dinner at night nearby— with a view— is awesome. There are three restaurants in Athens to that are not touristy, but quite good:
  • The first is Xynou. It is an authentic, one might say old fashioned, taverna in the Plaka which caters more to locals rather than tourists (unlike most of the other places there). The address is 4 Angelou Yerondas, which is not particularly helpful but any hotel concierge will know how to get there. A cab driver will have to drop passengers off a short distance away because the street itself is closed to traffic. (If staying at one of the hotels around Syntagma Square, it is within walking distance.) Reservations are essential. It doesn’t seem to have a web site of its own, but typing in the name will bring up enough information to give one a sense of the place.
  • Second is Hermion. It’s located in the busy shopping area just below Syntagma Square, to your right when facing the cathedral from the open plaza. See Travel Advisor web site for menu, map, etc. We have only eaten lunch there, but have done so more than once. It seems to get good reviews currently.
  • Third, saving the best for last, is Strophi [pronounced stroFEE} at 25 Rovestou Galli. It offers excellent food and a spectacular view of the Acropolis from its rooftop restaurant, particularly on the evenings when the son et lumiere show is going on up there. See their website. It is the place my family customarily goes on our first and last nights in Athens.

Look, too, at the neighborhood of Lycabettus, which is lovely at night.

Get to the Acropolis first thing in the morning if you’re visiting in early September. It will be coolest then. The National Archaeological Museum is excellent as is the Benaki. Either museum will give you a sense of ancient Greek art and culture, though the Archaelogical Museum is bigger, I believe. And if museums aren’t your thing, the Monastiraki Flea Market is a lot of fun, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, many times. Am half Greek (and was conceived there--something I'm not glad I know).

Are you wedded to the Cyclades only?

A few things. Do stay away from both Santorini (and Mykonos; both are now tourist traps and there are much nicer islands to visit, without all the crowds). Instead, visit Syros. Lots to see and much less traveled. (My 93 year-old father says he's thinking about which other Cyclades islands to recommend. I'll get back with those recs.) In the meantime, check out this great article of other recs. We've been to most of these, too. Some are on the mainland, in the Peloponnesus (where my family is from), so not an island, per se: Thrillist Article

Other things
September is a gorgeous month to visit. The weather will be warm, but there will be fewer summer tourists. Don't shy away from Athens for a couple of days, either. Certainly see the Acropolis, and if you can, dinner at night nearby— with a view— is awesome. There are three restaurants in Athens to that are not touristy, but quite good:
  • The first is Xynou. It is an authentic, one might say old fashioned, taverna in the Plaka which caters more to locals rather than tourists (unlike most of the other places there). The address is 4 Angelou Yerondas, which is not particularly helpful but any hotel concierge will know how to get there. A cab driver will have to drop passengers off a short distance away because the street itself is closed to traffic. (If staying at one of the hotels around Syntagma Square, it is within walking distance.) Reservations are essential. It doesn’t seem to have a web site of its own, but typing in the name will bring up enough information to give one a sense of the place.
  • Second is Hermion. It’s located in the busy shopping area just below Syntagma Square, to your right when facing the cathedral from the open plaza. See Travel Advisor web site for menu, map, etc. We have only eaten lunch there, but have done so more than once. It seems to get good reviews currently.
  • Third, saving the best for last, is Strophi [pronounced stroFEE} at 25 Rovestou Galli. It offers excellent food and a spectacular view of the Acropolis from its rooftop restaurant, particularly on the evenings when the son et lumiere show is going on up there. See their website. It is the place my family customarily goes on our first and last nights in Athens.

Look, too, at the neighborhood of Lycabettus, which is lovely at night.

Get to the Acropolis first thing in the morning if you’re visiting in early September. It will be coolest then. The National Archaeological Museum is excellent as is the Benaki. Either museum will give you a sense of ancient Greek art and culture, though the Archaelogical Museum is bigger, I believe. And if museums aren’t your thing, the Monastiraki Flea Market is a lot of fun, too.
No, not wedded to Cyclades, it has great islands but other island groups do too. I want to relax, enjoy the beauty and history, not be swarmed in crowds, some magical places that will want me to return again and again

Reaction Score
Ephephus in Turkey near Izmir is the must stop if you are concentrating on history. I personally would do a day in Athens, then the Greek city state tour, go to one island, and then fly to Cappadocia in Turkey. Once you get to Cappadocia you will ask yourself why you didn’t just go here. Confession: I lived in Turkey for two years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Went to Greece two years ago including several islands. All different from each other. The approach to Santorini is beautiful. Looks like snow capped cliffs but it’s actually the white washed buildings. Yes it’s touristy, but still beautiful. Mykenos was Onassis country. Very nice but it deluged while we were there. Crete is interesting with the Minoan ruins. Rhodes is also interesting. The island of Patnos is kind of a religious place dedicated to St. John who lived there.

In Greece proper, Athens is blah except for the great Acropolis. The site of the ancient Olympics is interesting as is the site of the Oracle at Delphi, which, like much of the mainland, is a pretty steep walk.

Reaction Score
I travel to the Ionian Islands every year and they offer a great balance of history, beaches, culture and food. I have also been to several other areas of Greece (North (Thessaloniki), Peloponnese, East (Rhodes)), and they all have their own unique and special attractions and style. If you choose to go to the Cyclades, I would pick a group of islands to visit that are nearby and base yourself on one with day trips to a few others by private boat or group charters. Many of the islands have daily boat tours where you can leave the port at 9am and visit another island, have lunch, swimming ,etc. and then return to port in the evening.

If you have your heart set on the Cyclades and don't want a more authentic experience then I would recommend Milos in the Cyclades, but many other including Kimolos, Folegandros, Sifnos, Paros, Tinos, all have amazing charm and authenticity.

If you are thinking the Peloponnese, I would make sure to visit some of the following: Nafplion, Monevasia (which is a historical castle village), Corinth Canal, Areopoli, Limeni, Kalamata, Sparta, Methoni, Voidokilias beach.

If you prefer more rural beach vacation, then the Ionian Islands of Kefalonia (myrtos beach, anitsamos beach, Assos, Fiscardo, are amazing), Ithaka (which you can do by boat as day trip from Kefalonia) and Zakynthos (Shipwreck beach, blue caves) are spectacular. Every day feels like you are in a postcard.

I would also consider Crete, which has many historical sites and spectacular beaches.

You honestly cannot go wrong. You will have an amazing time no matter your itinerary. Good luck and safe travels.

Reaction Score
travel to the Ionian Islands every year and they offer a great balance of history, beaches, culture and food. I have also been to several other areas of Greece (North (Thessaloniki), Peloponnese, East (Rhodes)), and they all have their own unique and special attractions and style. If you choose to go to the Cyclades, I would pick a group of islands to visit that are nearby and base yourself on one with day trips to a few others by private boat or group charters. Many of the islands have daily boat tours where you can leave the port at 9am and visit another island, have lunch, swimming ,etc. and then return to port in the evening.

If you have your heart set on the Cyclades and don't want a more authentic experience then I would recommend Milos in the Cyclades, but many other including Kimolos, Folegandros, Sifnos, Paros, Tinos, all have amazing charm and authenticity.

If you are thinking the Peloponnese, I would make sure to visit some of the following: Nafplion, Monevasia (which is a historical castle village), Corinth Canal, Areopoli, Limeni, Kalamata, Sparta, Methoni, Voidokilias beach.

If you prefer more rural beach vacation, then the Ionian Islands of Kefalonia (myrtos beach, anitsamos beach, Assos, Fiscardo, are amazing), Ithaka (which you can do by boat as day trip from Kefalonia) and Zakynthos (Shipwreck beach, blue caves) are spectacular. Every day feels like you are in a postcard.

Monemvasia is very cool. And Nafplion is one of my favorite places. It's a small city that is easy to wander about.

What is worht noting is that all of Greece is national seashore, so any place you like the looks of, you can swim in. Pull your car off the the side of the road and jump in. When you're driving along (if you rent a car), you'll often see cars pulled off the the side; look down and you'll likely see someone in the water.

Reaction Score
Thinking of making this trip more what my wife & I want to do, and having it be just us two going, than trying to set up family larger group, so we don’t have to include places like Santorini because this sister wants to go there, etc. Once we get itinerary set, then we can still invite others to come along if we want.
Wife wants to go to Crete, which I do too, and I want to see Ephesus (and Capadocia too). So I’m thinking more of some combo of Crete, Ephesus and Capadocia, and Rhodes too (or is Rhodes too far south/out of the way or just makes two weeks too hectic) and flying in-between for longer distance segments . Any thoughts? Crete we could only scratch the surface, wife wants to see Palace of Knossos.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned earlier, Cappadocia in Turkey is often included in these tours but it is well worth making a special effort. I can recommend a cave hotel in which to stay. While there you can see Greek architecture as there were Greek towns in the area before a population switch was made after WWI.

Reaction Score
Thinking of making this trip more what my wife & I want to do, and having it be just us two going, than trying to set up family larger group, so we don’t have to include places like Santorini because this sister wants to go there, etc. Once we get itinerary set, then we can still invite others to come along if we want.
Wife wants to go to Crete, which I do too, and I want to see Ephesus (and Capadocia too). So I’m thinking more of some combo of Crete, Ephesus and Capadocia, and Rhodes too (or is Rhodes too far south/out of the way or just makes two weeks too hectic) and flying in-between for longer distance segments . Any thoughts? Crete we could only scratch the surface, wife wants to see Palace of Knossos.
I would suggest the Esbelli Evi Cave Hotel in Urgup in Cappadocia. Rooms are wonderful, breakfast fantastic, and is located near all the attractions with restaurants nearby. If you forgot wine, you can buy it on the honor system in lounge. It is owned by a Peace Corps taught man from the town near my old Peace Corps village. I booked my family for two days but they begged to stay longer and we did. If it is booked, there are other nice hotels carved into the soft rocks.

Reaction Score
I spent a week on Rhodes in the 1960s when it was overrun by semi permanent young Swedes. We were Peace Corps sharing a large hostel room with six people so my experience isn’t relevant but I would say Rhodes is primarily an entertainment hub, though there are nice ruins and bays on opposite end of the island. There are other Greek Islands with more historic sites or quieter beaches. As much as I enjoyed a tour of Greek City states, there are better Greek and (mostly) Roman cities in Turkey with Ephesus being the prime example, though there are others near Antalya. I first hiked into Cappadocia in 1967 when there was one hotel which catered to Turkish tourists. I took my family back 46 years later and the area was filled with scores of luxury hotels. Cappadocia is quite simply one of the most magical places on the planet.

Reaction Score
If you are limiting to Crete, Ephesus, and Cappadocia I might suggest Istanbul (if you stay in the old city near Aya Sophia), then fly to Cappadocia (we drove but I had more old memories to follow). A stop at the hot springs at Pamukale is a welcome respite.

Reaction Score
Santorini will blow again and take out half the Mediterranean. I wouldn’t go near there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom