Great News Napheesa, Katie-Lou & Gabby Naismith Finalist | The Boneyard

Great News Napheesa, Katie-Lou & Gabby Naismith Finalist

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
2017 Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year Semifinalists Announced | Naismith Trophy

Napheesa, Katie-Lou and Gabby made the Finalist List for the Naismith Award. Each are one of the 10 finalist.

Collier

Napheesa Sophomore F Connecticut AAC
Jones Brionna Senior C Maryland Big Ten
Mitchell Kelsey Junior G Ohio State Big Ten
Plum Kelsey Senior G Washington Pac 12
Samuelson Katie Lou Sophomore G/F Connecticut AAC
Turner Brianna Junior F Notre Dame ACC
Vivians Victoria Junior G Mississippi State SEC
Wiese Sydney Senior G Oregon State Pac 12
Williams Gabby Junior F Connecticut AAC
Wilson A'ja Junior F South Carolina SEC

While Kelsey Plum will win the award, this recognition should help Napheesa, Katie-Lou and Gabby make some All American Teams.. While I might make a couple of changes, this list of 10 players would make a good WBCA All American team.

Reaction Score
UConn's first time, new record, 3 players in Naismith semifinalist:

top10w.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2017 Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year Semifinalists Announced | Naismith Trophy

Napheesa, Katie-Lou and Gabby made the Finalist List for the Naismith Award. Each are one of the 10 finalist.

Collier

Napheesa Sophomore F Connecticut AAC
Jones Brionna Senior C Maryland Big Ten
Mitchell Kelsey Junior G Ohio State Big Ten
Plum Kelsey Senior G Washington Pac 12
Samuelson Katie Lou Sophomore G/F Connecticut AAC
Turner Brianna Junior F Notre Dame ACC
Vivians Victoria Junior G Mississippi State SEC
Wiese Sydney Senior G Oregon State Pac 12
Williams Gabby Junior F Connecticut AAC
Wilson A'ja Junior F South Carolina SEC

While Kelsey Plum will win the award, this recognition should help Napheesa, Katie-Lou and Gabby make some All American Teams.. While I might make a couple of changes, this list of 10 players would make a good WBCA All American team.
Agree that Plum will probably win, but we need to quote Yogi here, "It ain't over till it's over."

Reaction Score
This "Top Ten" List contains 3 Huskies and 7 "all others." The Huskies consist of two sophs, one jr., zero sr. The others are zero sophs, four jrs., three srs. And this isn't one of UConn's "good teams." Every time I turn around there's something else to marvel at.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In parsing the 7 other semi-finalists, we have played 4 of them this year: Mitchell tOSU; Jones MD; Wilson SC; Turner ND and our girls "took their lunch money" in every one of those matchups, particularly Gabby who was a beast in those games. That should eliminate all of those 4 from consideration. That leaves Plum Wash; Wiese OSU and Vivians MSU. I think VV is a nice player but is #10 on this list so I think she too is eliminated. Both Plum and Wiese have had good years with Plum really dominating the stats and headlines in all aspects. How does the voting public pick between our 3 when we can't? I would say that logically it goes to Plum with Gabby and Pheesa in the top 4. If KLS shoots lights out over the next 4-9 games then she too could edge her way into the top 4.

Considering none were remotely on the radar in November what an accomplishment they have achieved. Kudos to them and the coaches. It has been an unbelievable season to watch.

Reaction Score
This wouldn't be my exact list but I could live with this being the WBCA team. All are great players.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Very impressive to see three UConn Huskies on that list but I assume that Plum will get the award....................considering the season she's had and how every team she plays against tries everything in the book to stop her.........she deserves it............that said, Collier has a more impressive all around game and if her play continues to grow she might very well win it in the future

Reaction Score
I don't know all these players numbers but when voting for player of the year i hope they look at all their numbers. Im not just talking about points scored!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Darn. I guess next year UConn won't be entering the season without any AA's on their roster. Life stinks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really hope that all 3 Huskies make the HOF this year, because if only 3 per team, per year can be so honored, just think about the logjam for next year's Huskies with Z and Kia, Lou, Gabby and Pheesa. You could have 5 deserving players with only 3 potential AA's.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Pheesa and Gabby are the two best players in wcbb, and KLS is only a smidgeon behind. imho
I think this is a "fluid" discussion dependent the week. First part of season KLS, middle Gabby and now NC. This could evolve over the next few weeks if KLS finds her touch again and doesn't get deterred by the physical play. I agree with your current assessment.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I guess we reloaded. Rather amazing...
I love that slogan "We don't rebuild, WE RELOAD!" What an awesome new slogan for the wall...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
How does an ACC player makes this list when the ACC player of the year did not ?

Obvious answer - The Naismith selectors and ACC Blue Ribbon Panel are two different groups of voters.

One thing to think about - Turner had some of her best games in nationally-televised matchups (Duke, Syracuse, FSU) with the Syracuse and FSU games being quite recent.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Darn. I guess next year UConn won't be entering the season without any AA's on their roster. Life stinks.

Hang in there, Jordy. This is one honorary team. There will be others.

Reaction Score
Obvious answer - The Naismith selectors and ACC Blue Ribbon Panel are two different groups of voters.

One thing to think about - Turner had some of her best games in nationally-televised matchups (Duke, Syracuse, FSU) with the Syracuse and FSU games being quite recent.

Let me ask you a tough question...........forgetting about how many years of eligibility, they have left, would you trade Turner for Napheesa Collier? To be fair, I've asked the same question of our SC friends regarding A'ja Wilson.

Reaction Score
Very impressive to see three UConn Huskies on that list but I assume that Plum will get the award.....considering the season she's had and how every team she plays against tries everything in the book to stop her....she deserves it..that said, Collier has a more impressive all around game and if her play continues to grow she might very well win it in the future
Plum can be slowed down. Gabby Hanson (the other "Gabby") of OSU has had tremendous success (along with OSU's defense) in disrupting Plum. Plum shot 8 for 23 vs OSU this year, and, not much better in 2015-16 season vs OSU. The key is to deny her the ball, once she has the ball, then turn her into strong post defenders to alter her shot. Plum does a teriffic job off of ball screens, but again, if you have a strong 1-on-1 defender to fight through screens, and play solid team defense, Plum can be managed. If UCONN plays UW in the NCAA, all they need to do is pull the film of OSU vs UW, and Plum will be a non-factor vs UCONN athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom