Gordon Sammis Named OC | The Boneyard

Gordon Sammis Named OC

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
making it really hard for me to be a loyalist here... I'm glass half full all day long... all the time... but... smh... I don't know... smh... (Wow, another OL coach converts to OC for us)... smh....
It’s really ridiculous they try to claim to be “big time”/committed to success in FB and in the last five years we’ve voluntarily cancelled a season and hired two OL coaches with no coordinator experience to run our offense

Unless something drastically changes by this time next year with the commitment we make to the sport, I will no longer be buying tickets to support the program. Just a total waste of $.

Reaction Score
Nailing the QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator hire just got much more important.

… OL Coach posting next?
If we're finally getting a QB coach hire than this kinda saves face a little... along with an OL hire? Don't remember any of that happening here as of late... it keeps cautious optimism if we bring in 2 staff members to fill those spots...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A) Not that it's close to ideal but I imagine Sammus will be OC/OL coach. We only have one open spot on the staff.

B) I'm not claiming that he will or will not open up the passing game but before anyone completely dismisses the idea that he may want a more wide open offense, due to his being an OLine coach, keep in mind that Andy Reid started as an offensive line coach.

Reaction Score
As fans we naturally want the "splash" or Big name hire . The reality is that oftentimes they don't work. For a program in our position reaching for the big name is probably the wrong approach. By all accounts that I have seen Sammis is well respected and seems to be good at his job. Presumably he relates well to his players who seem to speak highly of him. I'm going to push back on some of the negativity here and support this promotion. And for those claiming that we "are not trying" ... we just hired the Miss State Defensive Coordinator.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tix already purchased so wait and see. March is a big month for NFL, hoping Mora was working to secure a job for Charlton and Sammis was the preferred way to go with help of a QB/Pass Coordinator combo and not because it went down too late.

Reaction Score
I have a lot more faith in Sammis than I did Guifre. There are many OC/OL coaches in the P5. Ryan Grub was an OL coach. If you have good to great position coaches which we did not have last time, things will be ok. Nail this QB coach hire and Sammis will be ok. If he can scheme his line to give the protection the QB needs it's all good. Those that are poopooing this move are suffering PTSD from Guifre instead of looking at history league wide.

Reaction Score
Mike Foley, Edsalls Oline coach was one of my favorite coaches. Was Head Coach at Colgate before coming here. Oline guys remind me of catchers, have a global view of the game. Hopefully Sammis has got the stuff!
Yea back when football ran like it was 1985 ..... Football has changed. This is going to be torture run right, run left, lateral pass to watch this year. Only the most loyal UConn football fans who don't dare challenge the system would find an upside in losing an awful OC to get an unproven OL coach AGAIN as its OC.

Reaction Score
I mean I'm as disappointed as anyone here, but I doubt there was much available out there and this at least keeps things some what consistent on offense. This close to spring practice I doubt bringing in an OC to completely overhaul the offense at this point in time was probably unrealistic. I wish Sammis the best and hopefully he surpises us like John Dunn did.

Reaction Score
I have a lot more faith in Sammis than I did Guifre. There are many OC/OL coaches in the P5. Ryan Grub was an OL coach. If you have good to great position coaches which we did not have last time, things will be ok. Nail this QB coach hire and Sammis will be ok. If he can scheme his line to give the protection the QB needs it's all good. Those that are poopooing this move are suffering PTSD from Guifre instead of looking at history league wide.
I was thinking back even further than Guifre... The guy that played his college ball at the University of Bridgeport.. Wasn't he our OC (short term) too????

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So how long until we want Charlton back......? This was a predictable hire that we all wished to heck would never happen
Didn't want him to leave, just stop with the gadget plays. He was gone after this year anyway so I get him leaving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom