Goodbye one-and-done: With scandals rocking youth basketball, NBA readying to step in | The Boneyard

Goodbye one-and-done: With scandals rocking youth basketball, NBA readying to step in

Reaction Score
NBA making plans to get involved at high school level, once again

>>A plan is expected to include the NBA starting relationships with elite teenagers while they are in high school, providing skills to help them develop both on and off the court. It would ultimately open an alternate path to the NBA besides playing in college and a way 18-year-olds could earn a meaningful salary either from NBA teams or as part of an enhanced option in the developmental G League, sources said.<<

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I know it will likely reduce the national interest in the sport but I really like this. The flash in the pan one-and-done guys really leave no impact to college basketball even when they win the national title. Would love to see teams where I recognize more than 1 or 2 guys because they've been around for a few years even if it, in theory, does decrease the talent pool

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Bring it on. There will be a few years of getting used to a new system but in the long run it should (in theory) be could for the kids, the colleges and the NBA. The networks won't like it as much because they will lose some star power but even that will level out after a while.

Reaction Score
I suppose, but the idea of the NBA "getting involved" with high level HS players is a mine field of problems. Hell, once the NBA does that with any kid, his amateur status will basically be over at that point. I'd say more kids will end up screwed under that plan than are getting screwed now.

Reaction Score
I suppose, but the idea of the NBA "getting involved" with high level HS players is a mine field of problems. Hell, once the NBA does that with any kid, his amateur status will basically be over at that point. I'd say more kids will end up screwed under that plan than are getting screwed now.
No one should be forced to go that route, but we know some will be. Hope it provides something afterward for them.

Reaction Score
Is it really any different than soccer in the rest of the world or baseball?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
With all the options now readily available, anybody can go to college anytime they want to. A player could have a full pro career and then go to college if they want to. It also eliminates the added pressures of trying to be a student-athlete. You get to go to college without the extra time commitment with sports involved.

Reaction Score
Obviously dont know the details, but something has to change.

My gut tells me only a few kids each year go this route (top 10, or something) and it wont affect college bb much

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With all the options now readily available, anybody can go to college anytime they want to. A player could have a full pro career and then go to college if they want to. It also eliminates the added pressures of trying to be a student-athlete. You get to go to college without the extra time commitment with sports involved.
I've earned three degrees from University of Phoenix this week alone, and it's only Tuesday.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I love this.

I think Silver is way ahead of the curve.

Eventually public schools aren't going to be able to support athletics and the academy model that goes on in other parts of the world is one eventual solution. This is definitely a step in that direction. And I'm totally fine with that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The NBA wants to cherry pick the cream of the HS crop and put them in a position to succeed. Leaving it up to the NCAA to adequately administer their fake BS student-athlete amateurism ridiculousness only ends up in tainting the top level players before they ever get to the NBA. Emmert's administration of the ineffective and corrupt NCAA has been an unmitigated disaster, and now he's getting called on it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
For soccer the club teams have academies from when you're basically able to walk and to when you go pro. That's different than coming out of high school where the NCAA now has to worry about the players getting paid. What's wrong with going back to the way it was before this stupid rule? Is that what they're going to do?

Reaction Score
It will make zero difference with college basketballs appeal. And will make the game better in the long run. The game was great before the era of 1-done and will be after it finally ends. It isn’t the NBA but you know what? It’s not supposed to be. It also isn’t supposed to be the G league which is how too many schools treat it.

Reaction Score
Love it. I don't watch college basketball to watch Markelle Fultz or Ben Simmons on a crappy team, I watch the good teams play in good games. No one on Virginia or Xavier will play in the NBA and I don't care.

Reaction Score
coupleof things need to happen, first the one and done rule needs to go. Draft a kid out of highschool and let him mature in the D league until he is ready for show time.
2nd, let college players enter the draft, if they don't get drafted or recieve an offer let them return to college.

Reaction Score

The players will be able to get paid and prepare full-time for the NBA. And they will be able to choose what model works for them. If a player prefers the college route, that option is still there for them.

In fact, the only way the G league will be able to attract talent is by beating out the value proposition of a college scholarship. They’re going to have to convince kids to join up, which means making it worth their while to do so. If you’re a high-level high school prospect, this is a great development.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
IIRC, one and done was put in so kids wouldn't bypass college, not get drafted and have no where to play. If the NBA can set up a two tiered league that would help non-college players hone their skills and help them manage their lives then it is a big win. Players could skip college and have a good landing spot. Like baseball, the players who go to college would go with a 3 year commitment and then could declare for the draft.

Would it eliminate the shenanigans of backdoor payoffs to kids? Probably not but it would reduce substantially, IMO.

the Q

Reaction Score
IIRC, one and done was put in so kids wouldn't bypass college, not get drafted and have no where to play. If the NBA can set up a two tiered league that would help non-college players hone their skills and help them manage their lives then it is a big win. Players could skip college and have a good landing spot. Like baseball, the players who go to college would go with a 3 year commitment and then could declare for the draft.

Would it eliminate the shenanigans of backdoor payoffs to kids? Probably not but it would reduce substantially, IMO.

The one and done was setup so NBA teams stopped spending first round picks on ndudi ebi and travis outlaw and Martel Webster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For soccer the club teams have academies from when you're basically able to walk and to when you go pro. That's different than coming out of high school where the NCAA now has to worry about the players getting paid. What's wrong with going back to the way it was before this stupid rule? Is that what they're going to do?

The NBA wanted the current rule, because teams were spending 1st round picks on HS kids who didn't pan out (because others did pan out...Lebron, Kobe etc.). It was very problematic. The new rule, it seems, would shift those kids to the G league where they would develop there before being drafted. Much greater certainty for the clubs.

As for the NCAA worrying about people being paid....why do they care? I never understood that. Why mot let kids be drafted (as they are in hockey and baseball) and still play in college. Why not let them sign agents and endorsement contracts while in college? The olympics long ago abandoned the pretense of amateurism. You want to watch amateurs, go watch Harvard Crew. It's a farce anyway, just end the farce.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The one and done was collectively bargained. The NBA AND the players wanted to protect themselves from unproven HS kids.

Reaction Score
We'll see. There's a massive gulf between the baseball minor league system and the G league (or whatever they're calling it) or some vague notion of the NBA "getting involved".

Every major league baseball team has 150+ players in their minor league system, some closer to 200. Plus, I don't think MLB is actually "involved" with players before they get out of HS.

My concern, such as it is, comes when a HS player gives up on any education because the NBA has shown interest in them and then ends up with bubkus. It's an imperfect system now, but I'm not convinced the NBA is going to help just yet.

the Q

Reaction Score
We'll see. There's a massive gulf between the baseball minor league system and the G league (or whatever they're calling it) or some vague notion of the NBA "getting involved".

Every major league baseball team has 150+ players in their minor league system, some closer to 200. Plus, I don't think MLB is actually "involved" with players before they get out of HS.

My concern, such as it is, comes when a HS player gives up on any education because the NBA has shown interest in them and then ends up with bubkus. It's an imperfect system now, but I'm not convinced the NBA is going to help just yet.

a lot of mlb players end up with bubkus.

There is a college scholarship plan but not everyone gets full boat on that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The flash in the pan one-and-done guys really leave no impact to college basketball even when they win the national title.

Try to sell that to a Cuse fan

Reaction Score

They can then go to college just like others from their neighborhood do if they have the ability. If a baseball player drafted in the 35th round flames out, he then gets on with his life. Failed basketball players can do the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom