Gonzaga Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Post Game Thread

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He's more of a weapon than Andre, and our coaching staff (and team overall) are better equipped to handle it this year, but I fully expect coaches to sag off of Castle from the 3 point line like they did Andre last year. He's got much better form than Andre, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting his percentages to a respectable number, but right now his shot is pretty ugly. Aren't many ways to defend us so you know this is one thing Big East coaches are going to try.
He is not as athletic as AJ but he is better going to the basket and overall offensively he is an improvement. What he gives us like AJ is the ability to guard 1-4. That is such a luxury. He is at least as bid asAJ was/is.

Reaction Score
Good win. Lead wire to wire.

I had one question. Newton started the game guarding Nembhard and didn't do a good job. Then Hurley put Spencer on Nembhard a bunch of times and Spencer got torched. Why after 1 or 2 possessions stay with that? Why even try that at all? If Newton couldn't guard Nembhard then Spencer definitely couldn't. Once Hurley put Castle and Diarra on Nembhard it was lights out Gonzaga. That's probably the major reason why Diarra played 19 minutes.

Reaction Score
G
He is not as athletic as AJ but he is better going to the basket and overall offensively he is an improvement. What he gives us like AJ is the ability to guard 1-4. That is such a luxury. He is at least as bid asAJ was/is.
castle is similar to AJ in impact once he gets clicking , has rhythm and 30mpg. He can do all similar things but if you traded AJ elite athleticism for Castles great ball skills.

Castle with ball in his hand more gets in the paint easily because of his ball skills and once he is confident he will be the final key to this offense.

Reaction Score
Cam Spencer’s offense like Karaban’s more than offsets his defense. But darn if Cam isn’t playing exactly as advertised defensively. His feet aren’t the quickest, but his hands are extremely quick and he anticipates very well. The guy always seems to be in the passing lanes at the right time, and if his man is sloppy handling the ball, Cam will get a paw on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We said the same thing last year, then we lost to St. John's at home.
Nobody shot better against us last year. Tough shots, too. So yes, there is always the anomoly factor.

Reaction Score
Cam Spencer’s offense like Karaban’s more than offsets his defense. But darn if Cam isn’t playing exactly as advertised defensively. His feet aren’t the quickest, but his hands are extremely quick and he anticipates very well. The guy always seems to be in the passing lanes at the right time, and if his man is sloppy handling the ball, Cam will get a paw on it.
IMO Cam is better than advertised. He is lights out from 3 and drives to the hoop / midrange and plays D. Love Hawkins and he is better Pro prospect but we didn’t lose anything with Cam IMO.

if what’ s his name from Maine said he wanted to drop Duke play for us if Cam left.. I’d say no thanks have fun at Duke!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nobody shot better against us last year. Tough shots, too. So yes, there is always the anomoly factor.

They shot 15% from 3. The reason they shot 51% from the floor is because of our matador defense. They were consistently making shots at the rim.

Sometimes duds happen, is my point. I think we're good enough to go 18-2 or 19-1 but it will take not having an off night, which is very unlikely.

Reaction Score
-Great win. Game was never in doubt.
-Nembhard ability to penetrate so easily was concerning in the first half. Cam Newtons mediocre perimeter defense can be exposed by the right guards.
-Again another athletic PF has a big game against us.
-Clingan finally looked like lottery pick , on national tv , versus a quality matchup and opponent. He absolutely owned Ike this game. Health persists ,this quality and above is what we see from DC.
-out guard depth is amazing. Every game ATLEAST 2-3 of the 5 guards will look good if not great. Luxury back court.

Reaction Score
-Great win. Game was never in doubt.
-Nembhard ability to penetrate so easily was concerning in the first half. Cam Newtons mediocre perimeter defense can be exposed by the right guards.
-Again another athletic PF has a big game against us.
-Clingan finally looked like lottery pick , on national tv , versus a quality matchup and opponent. He absolutely owned Ike this game. Health persists ,this quality and above is what we see from DC.
-out guard depth is amazing. Every game ATLEAST 2-3 of the 5 guards will look good if not great. Luxury back court.
Oh wow . Cam Newton still has collegiate eligibility???

Reaction Score

I had one question. Newton started the game guarding Nembhard and didn't do a good job. Then Hurley put Spencer on Nembhard a bunch of times and Spencer got torched. Why after 1 or 2 possessions stay with that? Why even try that at all? If Newton couldn't guard Nembhard then Spencer definitely couldn't. Once Hurley put Castle and Diarra on Nembhard it was lights out Gonzaga. That's probably the major reason why Diarra played 19 minutes.

Agreed,

I would have liked to see more Solo on him, he did fine in the few possessions when he switched on. There was one sequence at the end of the first half when Solo was guarding Nembhard, the ball was out of play, Danny looked to bench about to put Hassan in and the camera was on Kimani and you could read his lips saying "He's (Solo) got him" and Danny left it and we got the stop. Great camera work to capture that moment.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Agreed,

I would have liked to see more Solo on him, he did fine in the few possessions when he switched on. There was one sequence at the end of the first half when Solo was guarding Nembhard, the ball was out of play, Danny looked to bench about to put Hassan in and the camera was on Kimani and you could read his lips saying "He's (Solo) got him" and Danny left it and we got the stop. Great camera work to capture that moment.
Now why on earth would you add this to my Hurley should trust freshman more case?

Don’t give me Kimani has to talk him into it evidence too and it WORKING (because yes people, there’s a chance we trust them and things turn out just fine).

Reaction Score
For some odd reason, Spence became the primary ball handler during the second half. Newton was in the game but was positioned in corner and not part of the moving hand offs. This killed the offense and results in a couple of TOs. This went on for many minutes and helped keep Gonzaga in the game. Of course, our beat reporters didn't ask about it.

Reaction Score
That was one dead crowd for a top 10 matchup. MSG was rocking for our games as it always is and Kansas was awesome, Zags fans made this sound like a church service.
The crowd tried 3 X or so & every time the Huskies responded with buckets & stops assuring all that the outcome wasn’tin doubt. Blame UConn for making all the hush the crowd plays in semi-road game.

Reaction Score

Nembhard must have nightmares of Hassan Diarra. Remember when Creighton came to Storrs last year? I think it was 2-3 consecutive turnovers just because of Diarra's defense

Reaction Score
Who's beating us barring significant injuries. Do tell.
From what I’ve seen so far, here is what could potentially cause us trouble:

1. I think it would need to be a team that can sustain high pressure perimeter D for an entire game.

we’ve seen a few times already how that grinds our offense to a halt and gives us fits.

having said that, we didn’t have Castle at full strength. he could be key to neutralize that type of matchup.

2. Other than that, if a team can get Clingan and Samson in foul trouble, that could cause us major problems.

3. An athletic 4 that can attack Karaban on both ends. His lack of athleticism is his only real weakness and has been exposed a few times now.

Kansas seemed to hit on all 3 of these. But even then we were heavily limited by injury and they were playing at home and we still almost won (although you could argue that required heroics from Newton that wouldn’t be reproduceable).

Not sure if any other teams have a similar profile to expose these 3 areas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was one dead crowd for a top 10 matchup. MSG was rocking for our games as it always is and Kansas was awesome, Zags fans made this sound like a church service.
They talk a good game, but it’s a tiny school in the corner of the country. They have some fair weather TV fans nationwide who like rooting for the little guy, but I don’t think they have a very large real fanbase. I’m sure the on campus gym is louder, but it seats 6000.

Reaction Score
Big jump! I believe we were 15th in AdjD before tonight. Nice performance!
It's pretty remarkable that Hurley was saying how our defense isn't where he wants it to be, our offense is ahead of our defense, and we're still top 10 in both.

Reaction Score
Anyone think playing that game at Kansas made this being an away game a non factor? That Kansas game started out like Rocky 4 with Ivan Draggo in Moscow. A road experience can’t get any more hostile than that game.
That Kansas game will pay huge dividends in February and March.

I know many will not like me saying it but was absolutely a loss worth while.

Reaction Score
What they’re saying about us (kinder than NC fans). Actual unaltered quotes from guboards:

Go Zags!

Let's go Zags. Revenge !

Zags seem to have a hard time with good 7 footers

This game could get ugly

Hurley has the Huskies prepped for the hi lo and that GI and Braden are lefties

We don't have the shooters. UConn can do everything we do inside . Missed FTs

UConn’s shooters are extraordinary. 67%

The Zags are hanging with them. Not sure if they keep that up, but good to see them playing hard.

UConn has some shooters.

No opportunity. UCon great perimeter D.

Uh oh. Getting out of hand.

UConn 5-6 from 3pt.

Such smooth shooters.

By far the best team we’ve played all season.

That rec league kid is killing us

Crap. Down by 10

One dimensional. Look like we're just playing pickup. UCONN is a level up.

Toying with us.

3 whole assists No team play, too much dribbling, not enough effective screens. UConn might repeat this year.

UConn is making their open shots, the players they want are taking them;

The thing is, no one on UConn is super good, but they play together like a well oiled machine. The play outstanding defense and can shoot the open three

Sucks they are shooting so well from 3, but the reality is most of those were wide open shots.

Just not fair

there just a better team…didn’t think it would be over at half. This 11 pt deficit feels like 20

They are getting shoot around looks.

Uconn is the better team. Issue is allowing a team to make 7 3s in 1 half.

Join the a big East they said, it will be fun!

The UCONN lineup and style reminds me so much of our 2017 team.They are the best team I've seen this year. Even more balanced and dangerous than Arizona, and I hold Tommy's squad in high regard.

I sincerely hoped we'd keep it closer than 20, yet don't see that happening.

Just on a another level. Not just a 'title contender', yet a 'title favorite'.

Zags have a CHANCE at anyone not named Purdue, Arizona, or UConn. I do believe that.

Uconn is a level above GU.Coaching, Players.

Compared to uconn? Yes they aren’t even close and if uconn kept foot on pedal, this is a 20+ beat down

Well, we knew this was going to be a tough game to win. A lot of teams are going to lose to UConn this year.
"That rec league kid is killing us"

lol

Reaction Score
Anyone think playing that game at Kansas made this being an away game a non factor? That Kansas game started out like Rocky 4 with Ivan Draggo in Moscow. A road experience can’t get any more hostile than that game.
If I could give u ten likes for this observation I would. That is EXACTLY what it felt like.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen so far, here is what could potentially cause us trouble:

1. I think it would need to be a team that can sustain high pressure perimeter D for an entire game.

we’ve seen a few times already how that grinds our offense to a halt and gives us fits.

having said that, we didn’t have Castle at full strength. he could be key to neutralize that type of matchup.

2. Other than that, if a team can get Clingan and Samson in foul trouble, that could cause us major problems.

3. An athletic 4 that can attack Karaban on both ends. His lack of athleticism is his only real weakness and has been exposed a few times now.

Kansas seemed to hit on all 3 of these. But even then we were heavily limited by injury and they were playing at home and we still almost won (although you could argue that required heroics from Newton that wouldn’t be reproduceable).

Not sure if any other teams have a similar profile to expose these 3 areas.
Well other thing a team needs to beat us is a little 7 on 5 which Kansas had.

Also Cam was injured that game.

And with all that, they barely (by 1 inch) squeaked out a win. At their house no less.

If there is one thing that could beat any team including ours is a complete team effort. Too many teams try to huck up 3’s or they drive to the hoop unassisted against us… great go for these plays.. it won’t beat UConn…. You’ll look good for awhile but the wheels will come off.

It would take a team of 5-10 deep playing together to beat us and frankly, haven’t seen it yet. It will happen I’m sure but not yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom