• Pele

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Roger Federer

• Rafael Nadal

• Novak Djokovic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please feel free to comment below)

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
In every team sport, players on rookie - initial contracts make way less than established veterans = your take requires discounting every team sport championship based on some psychotic scale of what each player deserved for a salary and then what they actually got paid. The are constant examples EVERY YEAR of players with below 'market' contracts enabling more salaries for rosters. Lots of basketball guys have taken less money purposefully. The GOAT Michael Jordan is almost inarguably the most underpaid athlete ever (salary wise) for what he generated. Is he too less of a GOAT b/c of bad contracts or Nike deals that enabled even the uber cheap Bulls to construct championship rosters.
Your line "Patriots fans know this but don't acknowledge it" speaks to your pathology. I assume in this fantasy of yours New Englanders twist & turn in bed riddled with guilt & imposter syndrome - fearing deep down that it was ALL (after the 1st 3 Super Bowls) Giselle Bundchen!
True. But Brady took team friendly contracts almost to the end. He did this because he was able to because of his wife. She deserves a portion of the credit for the Pats "dynasty." And the dynasty is why we talk about Brady as the GOAT.

I am not talking about a player being paid less than he "generated." I am talking about Brady taking team friendly contracts to help the Pats build a roster because he could depend on Gisele.

It's a factor in his greatness.

Reaction Score
Someone hasn't been watching/reading any of the Marilyn Monroe biopics.
Those biopics - not really my interest.

Maybe wrong about Joe D the person but still one of the greatest ballplayers of all time.

But he did love to dunk his dinky donuts

Reaction Score
True. But Brady took team friendly contracts almost to the end. He did this because he was able to because of his wife. She deserves a portion of the credit for the Pats "dynasty." And the dynasty is why we talk about Brady as the GOAT.

Brady made a quarter of a billion dollars over his tenure with the Patriots. Let's not act like he was making $40k a year. He was fine, rich wife or no rich wife.

Reaction Score

I am not talking about a player being paid less than he "generated." I am talking about Brady taking team friendly contracts to help the Pats build a roster because he could depend on Gisele.

It's a factor in his greatness.
Ok that's reasonable. I'm just not sure how you can state the wife angle as a fact. It is a fact that Brady took less money than he could have and that helped the team but there are a myriad of reasons why and his wife's independent wealth probably isn't #1 and of course the team salary max spending are proven to not guarantee championships (see Yankees, NY).

And then in every team sport the teams/teammates players play with are a factor that influences their greatness. The team, owner, cities as well, eras; too much and too little money sometimes makes or breaks a player too. It is a subjective discussion, made more impossible if discounting the athlete's performance by even more subjective theories of off field circumstances & their impact. Heck, Secretariat might not be the goat if his owner hadn't lost a coin flip.

Reaction Score
Brady made a quarter of a billion dollars over his tenure with the Patriots. Let's not act like he was making $40k a year. He was fine, rich wife or no rich wife.

Not my point. My point is other elite QBs like Roethlisberger were piling up huge pay days out earning Brady. It was clear Brady should have been paid as well as many others. He took less because his family situation (wife) allowed it. It gave the Pats an off the field competitive edge.

Reaction Score
Not my point. My point is other elite QBs like Roethlisberger were piling up huge pay days out earning Brady. It was clear Brady should have been paid as well as many others. He took less because his family situation (wife) allowed it. It gave the Pats an off the field competitive edge.

Actually, it is your point. You're saying that his rich wife allowed him to take less money. I'm saying that you're wrong - even taking team friendly deals he made literally hundreds of millions of dollars. It's a really dumb argument.

Reaction Score
Actually, it is your point. You're saying that his rich wife allowed him to take less money. I'm saying that you're wrong - even taking team friendly deals he made literally hundreds of millions of dollars. It's a really dumb argument.
This is why my specific question about what annual salary or what net worth enables such a decision is unanswerable. Maybe the argument is the supermodel salary or net worth is so high it makes any earnings irrelevant, but that's also true about any star athletes salary these days. No star 'needs' even the annual salaries they make & despite not maxing out his money Brady is in top-5 NFL earners ever. Brady's salaries do not factor into any objective evaluation of his performances on the field & to say his wife discounts the performances is absurd.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i went with brady, considering his record and on which stage he performed, but
u forgot Breanna. other world record of achievement. basically, the mvp of every championship tourney she's in, since middle school. unreal. she crushed the ncaa's (4 for 4!), then crushed the wbna.
she's still playing, and should be for a while more. good luck to anyone, anywhere, trying to even come close to her record of accomplishment.
seems like bill russell should be on this, too.

Reaction Score
You could make a case that Red Auerbach is the GOAT of GOATs. He is undeniably the biggest winner in the history of sports.

Reaction Score
You could make a case that Red Auerbach is the GOAT of GOATs. He is undeniably the biggest winner in the history of sports.
Jack Nicklaus had 18 Golf major titles plus a US Amateur title... Red had 16 NBA Titles. I vote for Jack

Reaction Score
No Michael Phelps? But really, they literally changed the scoring criteria for womens gymnastics as Biles was en route to the Olympics. She was soo other worldly that she eased through highest difficulty stunts. She really is above all else. As far as team sports isn’t Wayne really the great one? He didn’t need 40 years like Brady

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No Michael Phelps? But really, they literally changed the scoring criteria for womens gymnastics as Biles was en route to the Olympics. She was soo other worldly that she eased through highest difficulty stunts. She really is above all else. As far as team sports isn’t Wayne really the great one? He didn’t need 40 years like Brady
Some of Gretzky's stats are incredible.

He is the all-time leading point scorer, all-time leader in assists and all-time leader in goals. If you take away his all his goals, he is still the all-time leading scorer. He has more assists than any other player has goals and assists combined.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

IMG_20221118_090341.jpg

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
All this "blah blah blah" about Brady, and all wrong.

Reaction Score

It a fact. That's not in doubt. The Pats gained a significant advantage over the rest of the NFL because of it.

Yes, he made lots of money. But he made less than his market value. What's not to understand?

Reaction Score
What a joke. Babe Ruth at 8%?
I know I choose Ruth without hesitation. Was the first superstar athlete. Yes I know it was different times back then as no one threw 95 plus. Also back then there was zero technology or film or scouting reports, no athlete to model his game after. Also did it all on cigars and beer.

Created a dynasty in Boston and turned the Yankees from the loser team from NY into the Yankee dynasty.

Reaction Score
If Brady is the greatest football player ever shouldn’t he be able to catch passes. Your the GOAT football player right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom