Glass Half Full Thoughts (From a Half-Empty Guy) | The Boneyard

Glass Half Full Thoughts (From a Half-Empty Guy)

Reaction Score
First, the biggest news of the week is the Chillious hire, it trumps everything else.

As someone who screamed from the mountaintops when we were signing Darius Smith and Jamaal Trice (maybe I coined the phrase staff shakeup needed - probably not) that we needed change, I have been clamoring for a year or two now that it was needed. Killings is new, has contacts in NBA and college and should be given time. I'm very excited about his prospects of identifying upside which he had to do at Temple. So that left Ricky or Glenn. Ricky seems to be on the uptick, getting Alterique and being mentioned a lot more. Glenn was the point man on Diallo and in 22-years of following Husky recruiting (admittedly less intense on the recruiting end than 5-15 years ago) it was one of the biggest misses due to waste of resources and not inking a guy many of us on the Yard liked a ton in Bruce Brown (who looked very "tough" and out of the athletic Dyson mold) and the Beatty kid who also looked talented (less than Brown I'd say) and also tough in the vids. Let's not digress on that point in this thread. Plus, Ricky is young and hungry while Glenn has been in coaching a long time. This is pure speculation but many of us older guys could put to how much hungrier we were younger in life without families and bigger bank accounts/responsibilities, etc. I know everyone was fawning over last year's class but with Diallo not coming was Diarra worth it, VJax is gone and will Rique ever be healthy (please Lord!) it was a good class but the DHam and Jalen classes were not deep enough. We needed a grand slam recruiter, it seemed too much fell on KO sometimes and now he has that guy in Chillious.

Second, while we all liked Steve and his offensive abilities, it was a steep drop off defensively when he came in and it would have been difficult to trust him at the 5 next year. A grad transfer center can come in and protect the rim and rebound with our abundance of talent at the guard position and hopefully Larrier back to top 15-20 pick in the draft type ability. There are guys available and will continue to be. East Carolina got that Washington kid fromWake Forest last year so it's very doable. I don't know why the staff didn't fill the scholarships with an additional big or sniper last year, but I would be shocked to see them bank ships this year. I don't see this as a big loss for next year. Two years out, Steve could be very good but I trust this staff to recruit much better in the post with KO getting a hand from Chillious and Killings. Carlton does come from an excellent program so maybe he will be ready more quickly.

Third, re: Vance. Obviously he did some good things this year. But those of us who can remember Sticks and Rudy Gay and Rip and Caron, he really didn't have much athleticism of a typical UConn 3/4. Couldn't jump at all and foot speed is really below average. As many said, the jury's out on his shooting. At worst, he's a solid shooter. But I agree some with the critics saying he's a 65% FT shooter and airballed a lot of looks that pure shooters just don't do. So what you have is a solid to very good shooter who can't guard at all or do much else. ***To me, this is the key spot we need to fill correctly**** There are big minutes available just like to Steve's replacement. But I want a wing that can battle with the Gary Clarks some and run the floor like a UConn wing should. This is where Coach Chill can perhaps fill this spot. Obviously the JUCO kid Juiston would be an amazing get here but I don't know how hard we are pursuing. A lot of coaching changes so some recruits are certainly available and I believe good wings are readily available, like RBs in college or the NFL. If he was going to play a lot of 4, I just don't think he could rebound well enough to play there a lot.

Fourth, and probably most important overall has been this program's ***lack of toughness (especially mentally)****.

Moving on from Travis (no ill will to him) was a good move and a sign KO is getting some maturity/learning some lessons of being the CEO. I began rooting for UConn in 1994 (never lived in Ct. or close by) and I have noticed a real lot of guys hanging there heads at the first sign of trouble the last 2-3 years. We need that leadership from mentally tough guys. Our guards have often led but our bigs have been willing and able to mix it up and that has been lacking. I do think some of the departures of the last two years will absolutely be addition by subtraction. Those of us wanting UConn to get back to levels we are accustomed to I think KO has ***absolutely*** got to better recognize mentally weak kids on the recruiting trail better. We have to get back to the toughness that made us all love UConn and especially JC. My kids are young so they don't remember the JC era much but they know he's like my favorite sports person ever and I recount the stories of the quick hook and meeting the players at half court to "coach them up". Tough kids could handle that. You don't need all 5-stars, you need some great ones with toughness mixed with other tough kids.

I have been pretty positive on KO but the bloom has been coming off lately for sure for all of us. These moves were necessary and if you can step back from the emotion, SE and VJ are very replaceable (JA, CV, AG, TL are not): a post that can't defend and a waaay below average athlete on the wing in VJ. We do need to find a wing and a post-grad Center. And in general, we have to recruit deeper classes not just a stud (Dham and Jalen and then dreck). But most of all, I implore KO and staff to return the toughness that has been missing. That's why we all love CV so much!!! We added a 5-star recruiter and will add a new strength coach: a culture change was needed and we are getting one. It's not comfortable, but it was NEEDED!

Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole post, but I need to say, for the 30389847 time that Darius Smith was a top 100 recruit who had offers from all P5 schools including Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc.... We were psyched to get him, other schools were pissed that we swooped in, and we would kill to have a player ranked that high commit now. He didn't work out. But he was not Jamaal Trice or Robert Swain or Scottie Harallson or Robert Garrison or Kellogg, etc.

Connecticut 2009 Basketball Commits

Reaction Score
I will concede Smith was top 100. It is not the point. He was a late pickup because we did so poorly with that class, I remember that much. That staff swung and missed a ton. And was promptly changed and we perked back up.

Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole post, but I need to say, for the 30389847 time that Darius Smith was a top 100 recruit who had offers from all P5 schools including Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc.... We were psyched to get him, other schools were pissed that we swooped in, and we would kill to have a player ranked that high commit now. He didn't work out. But he was not Jamaal Trice or Robert Swain or Scottie Harallson or Robert Garrison or Kellogg, etc.

Rob Garrison was brought in to back up a lightly recruited true freshman combo guard in Craig Austrie when we lost Marcus Williams until Christmas and AJ Price for the entire season and found ourselves without a returning point guard (or even a combo guard) on the roster at the last minute. And until Marcus came back, Garrison did enough in his ten minutes a game that we were undefeated. He was not a UConn level recruit, but he was not meant to be. He was meant to do exactly what he did.

Sorry but pet peeve. Garrison's recruitment was a total success.

Reaction Score
Rob Garrison was brought in to back up a lightly recruited true freshman combo guard in Craig Austrie when we lost Marcus Williams until Christmas and AJ Price for the entire season and found ourselves without a returning point guard (or even a combo guard) on the roster at the last minute. And until Marcus came back, Garrison did enough in his ten minutes a game that we were undefeated. He was not a UConn level recruit, but he was not meant to be. He was meant to do exactly what he did.

Sorry but pet peeve. Garrison's recruitment was a total success.

I don't disagree... I meant more that he was a plan E or so. People tend to forget just how highly rated Darius Smith and Jeff Adrien were. One was obviously a great success, the other, not so much...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

My lord, how was Jamal Coombs-McDaniel ranked #40 nationally?

Reaction Score

Yep... Some people thought coming in that he and not AO would be the big recruit. Turns out they both kind of sucked. Although, do you remember that 3-4 game run Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had when he averaged like 20/gm?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yep... Some people thought coming in that he and not AO would be the big recruit. Turns out they both kind of sucked. Although, do you remember that 3-4 game run Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had when he averaged like 20/gm?

Yep. And that one big offensive rebound.

Otherwise, it always looked like he was half-asleep. Or really high.

Reaction Score

Not to pick on you, but that kind of statement flies in the face of what you can get out of rankings. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel walked into UConn with the potential to help a high major team. And he showed that in the run Boog mentioned. He didn't care enough, didn't practice hard enough and didn't play hard enough. Heck, when he transferred to Hofstra, my son used to see him walking around campus high during the season.

Rankings are showing you what someone thinks a player can accomplish. They aren't even pretending to guess which ones will work their butts off in order to accomplish it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom