Giffey vs. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel | The Boneyard

Giffey vs. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel

Reaction Score
Obviously an off-season topic! I was skimming the box scores from our 2011 title run and noticed that Coombs McDaniel dominated the bench mins throughout the tournament but vs. Butler it was Giffey and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel basically didn’t play.

Anyone remember why?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Obviously an off-season topic! I was skimming the box scores from our 2011 title run and noticed that Coombs McDaniel dominated the bench mins throughout the tournament but vs. Butler it was Giffey and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel basically didn’t play.

Anyone remember why?

I think it was just a matchup thing….Jamal Coombs-McDaniel got a lot of minutes against San Diego, but basically got six-nine minutes the rest of the way.

They all kind of had their big games in terms of minutes off the bench….Giffey in the final, Okwandu against Arizona, I think, and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel against San Diego.

Think it was just JC doing what he thought was best.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel also used to piss Calhoun off sometimes. I remember hearing Calhoun screaming at him heading into a timeout at the Lahaina gym in a preseason tournament on Maui. Didn't Bilas comment on it at the time?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel also used to piss Calhoun off sometimes. I remember hearing Calhoun screaming at him heading into a timeout at the Lahaina gym in a preseason tournament on Maui. Didn't Bilas comment on it at the time?

He was a vital component of Kembas step back ankle breaker. First he kept that possession alive with a board, then on the stepback the space was cleared because he was the screener on the switch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He was a vital component of Kembas step back ankle breaker. First he kept that possession alive with a board, then on the stepback the space was cleared because he was the screener on the switch.

I liked Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, but the question in the first post was asking why Giffey was playing more at the end of the season. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel definitely pissed Calhoun off sometimes. That is not a showstopper for me, because if it was, I would have to pick another teams since a lot of players pissed Calhoun off at times. I was just trying to answer the question.

Reaction Score
I think it was just a matchup thing….Jamal Coombs-McDaniel got a lot of minutes against San Diego, but basically got six-nine minutes the rest of the way.

They all kind of had their big games in terms of minutes off the bench….Giffey in the final, Okwandu against Arizona, I think, and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel against San Diego.

Think it was just JC doing what he thought was best.
Nice

Reaction Score
I liked Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, but the question in the first post was asking why Giffey was playing more at the end of the season. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel definitely pissed Calhoun off sometimes. That is not a showstopper for me, because if it was, I would have to pick another teams since a lot of players pissed Calhoun off at times. I was just trying to answer the question.

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had back to back games well into the conference season where he was scoring a bunch and either starting or getting starters minutes. Then, IIRC, he got hurt, and was out of the lineup for a bit. His minutes clearly went down after that, in part because that is when Lamb started to shine. Without looking at the box score, I thought Jamal Coombs-McDaniel came in when all the starters had 2 fouls and then also sat when he got his second.

Reaction Score
I think all of us that were there heard JC drop a loud "duck You" on Jamal Coombs-McDaniel as it appeared he had talked back to JC. After dropping bomb, JC motioned to one of his assistants to get over there and talk to Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Really the only awkward moment I recall while attending 3 Maui invitations that I can remember.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think all of us that were there heard JC drop a loud "duck You" on Jamal Coombs-McDaniel as it appeared he had talked back to JC. After dropping bomb, JC motioned to one of his assistants to get over there and talk to Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Really the only awkward moment I recall while attending 3 Maui invitations that I can remember.

That is what I was thinking of. I wasn't there, but I think Calhoun was audible on TV yelling something heading into the break as Bilas and crew were talking. Or maybe Bilas said it was audible as he made a joke about it. It was almost 12 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy on the details.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Jamal Coombs-McDaniel never played college basketball after transferring. It was knee issues, correct?

Reaction Score
Imagine. Calhoun getting mad at a player. Had first row seats in the 90’s and 2000’s. It was pure entertainment watching and listening to the GOAT. Worst I heard was aimed at Kirk King after an illegal screen. I’ll just say he questioned Kirks intelligence along with a vulgar reference to his mother.

Reaction Score
I was right there and heard it differently.
JC actually said, "lucky you. You get to sit the rest of the game."

Reaction Score
Are you going to Maui next year?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think that was pretty much his only contribution to title. My recollection is that he didn't play then due to lack of production.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I didn't realize Jamal Coombs-McDaniel never played college basketball after transferring. It was knee issues, correct?

He got arrested at UConn for marijuana possession which kinda sealed his fate here - transferred to Hofstra.

Sat out a year and then was going to have to sit a second year after a knee injury. At some point, he just left the program, got arrested for pot again and just called it a wrap on his career.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Arrested for pot and it ended his career. Pretty sad that this country had such hypocrisy regarding weed. Yet the martini drinkers and drivers were always given a second chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom