Getting the score right on UConn first round game | The Boneyard

Getting the score right on UConn first round game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
For those who are planning to put their reputation on the lines in predicting a score for the UConn-Prairie View game, it is vital to know how UConn has done in the past, as that must have some connection with how they'll do in the future. This is the 17th time UConn has earned a #1 seed, and the sixth time it has gone into the post season undefeated. It is also the first time they have played a team with a losing record in a first round game, though back in 2007 UMBC was at 16-16. The #16 seeds have had as many as 24 wins and as few as 16. This year Prairie View is at 14-17, while two years ago when UConn played them they were 17-15 entering the tourney. UConn won that game 83-47.

The numbers for UConn against #16 seeds the past 16 times is an average score of: 94.06-46.31, so 94-46 could be the best choice for the informed predictor of Sunday's game. For the five first round games for undefeated teams, the average margin of 48 is about the same but the score is shifted up to 98.6-50.0, so maybe 99-50.

Reaction Score
Great breakdown of the past an before reading your post i was in the same range perdicting 93-42, thinking after a long break our defense will be focused and hold Prarie View to 14-18 first half points.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The view from the prairie will be the backsides of Husky players beating them down the court.

I expect our guys to be energized after a long break, though maybe rusty. I look for T and Polly to get PT and some points.

UConn by 95-40.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is a time of year and a game where Geno doesn't believe in the mercy rule - it is all about getting his team right mentally and physically. I expect that Stokes, Chong, and Banks will each get a 4 minute run in the first half if the game is as expected an early blow out. I would expect the starters to play the first eight minutes of the second half straight and then a rotation of starters and bench with the three getting maybe eight minutes each and T&P each getting a minute or two at the end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As for scoring - Prairie View averages 65 ppg on .358 shooting and make 4.4 threes/game shooting under .300 - about 15 attempts per game. They turn it over about 18 times a game. Unless they heat up from 3, this could get very ugly very quickly. If Uconn's defense is strong, they could be looking at the 20% range for field goal shooting.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I say UConn by about 47.65.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It is going to be very difficult for Prairie View to score. Im not sure if PV can score 10 pts in the first half.

Reaction Score
It is going to be very difficult for Prairie View to score. Im not sure if PV can score 10 pts in the first half.
Agree! I think Geno is going to challenge the team to limit PV's first half to score less than 10 and less than 30 for the 40 min. My guess it will be 91-27.

Reaction Score
I had no idea about Prairie View, but since they are a 16 seed, I figured they could be beat by a lot, so my
WAGuess was 94-47! So I'll just go with that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yep, unless PV can hit some outside 3s, the first half score for them could well be in single digits. I'd expect around 26 as a max for the game. But please do use the research above to pick around 99-50 so that I can be the winner of the game pick at about 103-25.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With PVs losing record this will be a game for Geno to work on things and give Saniya Kiah and BB alot of playtime. Also the walk ons as not to have any injuries. UConn starters will need to get back in game shape so I do expect them to get some quality minutes. Most likely Georgia in the second game then off to Nebraska.

Lets face it. This team if healthy is just about unbeatable. In reality your starting some of the best players in the country now that they are healthy. KML will be her ole self. Bria is back to AA status as is Stef and Mojeff will show why she is the AA point guard the country will love. Breanna... what can you say. She will put on a show and I hope she dunks at least once. That will send shock waves through WCBB and the tournament.

The question will not be can any team beat UConn it will be by how much will UConn win by and can any team stay with them and compete. I expect total devastation on every team we face. Intimidation will set in early and by the time we get to the FF it will be more prevalent. IF ND makes it to face UConn they are in for the shock of their lives. I'm picking 20+ and it could get ugly fast. I really dont think any team really has a chance to stay within double digits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm thinking 88-37 will be the final score. I don't think UConn really pours it on offensively but they will get after it on the defensive end. I think a lot of their 37 points will come in the last 8 minutes of the game when the Dogs are called off somewhat.

Reaction Score
With PVs losing record this will be a game for Geno to work on things and give Saniya Kiah and BB alot of playtime. Also the walk ons as not to have any injuries. UConn starters will need to get back in game shape so I do expect them to get some quality minutes. Most likely Georgia in the second game then off to Nebraska.

Lets face it. This team if healthy is just about unbeatable. In reality your starting some of the best players in the country now that they are healthy. KML will be her ole self. Bria is back to AA status as is Stef and Mojeff will show why she is the AA point guard the country will love. Breanna... what can you say. She will put on a show and I hope she dunks at least once. That will send shock waves through WCBB and the tournament.

The question will not be can any team beat UConn it will be by how much will UConn win by and can any team stay with them and compete. I expect total devastation on every team we face. Intimidation will set in early and by the time we get to the FF it will be more prevalent. IF ND makes it to face UConn they are in for the shock of their lives. I'm picking 20+ and it could get ugly fast. I really dont think any team really has a chance to stay within double digits.
I agree. Saniya Kiah and BB may play most of the second half, making the final score less predictable. We could win by as little as 40 unless the bench players get really hot [which of course we would all like to see.].

Reaction Score
I like Buzzy's total for PV but I think UConn will score a little less than 88 so........ UConn 83- PV 37

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Going out on a limb and saying 105-37 UConn. Just feel like the girls will want to run and gun after a long hiatus. Hoping Stef is feeling good again after being sick since the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm watching the underdogs in the men's tournament give the higher seeds some heck! But I don't think this will come from Prairie View. (What a great name for a school by the way - love it).

I'm going to say UConn 90 - PV 42. (And yes, I just picked those numbers out of the air).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom