Georgia State Post Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Georgia State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bingo. I just read this whole thread. I watched about 10 percent of this game on the phone. I agree with all the points you laid about up thread.

If Charltons play calling looked like last years then that's concerning because his gadget stuff doesn't work with what he has and doesn't work well with fagnano. Maybe it works with roberson but somehow I don't think so.

The only reason I'm not looking to dump Charlton now is because I don't know if we have pay him or if we have anybody else to do the work otherwise Roberson is basically playing for Charlton's employment. I was willing to tolerate some things because he lacked the tool under the idea you're preparing for the future in terms of play style. The future is now.

Anybody burning down mora after praising him last season needs to grow up. More concerning our line play isn't creating room for our core of running backs. Aren't these mostly the same guys?
We did that with Spanos, didn't we? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all the assistant coaches had a 2-year contract when Mora joined. We're paying Spanos ~325k (+bonuses??) this year and last year without him ever seeing a snap on the field.

Look, I'm not saying fire Charlton today. What I am saying is this:

1. Let's stop being complacent and slow-footed. I don't want to hear about another 5-year, Edsall-type plan. During this time, our former conference mates of Houston, Cincy, and UCF joined a P4 conference.
2. Have a plan B, C, and D in place. Whether that's an offensive analyst in the shadows or "initial dialogue" with potential candidates to determine level of interest. Charlton is the 2nd-highest paid G5 assistant in the country right now. There are so many people making 40% of his salary with way more production and using the same talent pool. Contingency plans are just part of basic business.

With all that said, I do trust Mora wayyyyyy more than Edsall. I'm obviously not going to abandon ship. It's just that, I think we're understating the level of coaching malpractice this past Saturday.

What changes would I like to see? Some personnel changes. We have some real weaknesses at QB, C, WR, and LB. Less rigid offensive and defensive schemes. More adaptive play calling and tempo changes.

FIU is not same team as last year with better skill players. Though I still think we beat them (assuming we fix our offense). Unfortunately, we've opened the door to an 0-3 start with a top 15 Duke team following.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mora should use some kind of QB spy/shadow that killed us again for 145 yards including a 65 yard run.
Investing in comfort by the OC rather than the most talented player at QB, is a major miscue.
This guy doesn’t have a good enough system that we should give a premium to someone familar with it.
Roberson looked better. I honestly think that being only 1 year removed from a major knee injury affected the decision on the starter. Also it was the reason that they went after Fagnano. No retraining.

My estimation. Roberson was #1 last year and a delayed #1 entry this year.

Reaction Score
We did that with Spanos, didn't we? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all the assistant coaches had a 2-year contract when Mora joined. We're paying Spanos ~325k (+bonuses??) this year and last year without him ever seeing a snap on the field.

We’re not paying Spanos this year:

Assisted access <<

-> While the school announced last August that Spanos would be taking a leave of absence, the former interim head coach never returned. Spanos missed the entire season while earning $327.608 for the first year of his two-year contract signed in the spring of 2022.

Mora called defensive plays for the 6-7 Huskies, who earned a bowl bid last season.

The head coach will again oversee the defense in 2023, but UConn won't be paying Spanos to watch from home. In March, Spanos signed a contract to serve as defensive analyst at Ole Miss.

According to UConn, Spanos' new job voids the final year of his contract with the Huskies. UConn was on the hook for $335.000 for 2023. <-

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say that game was probably the death of our program.

You can’t hype up a season like this and then perform this badly after being passed up again by the P5. There’s not a single way out for our program. No G5 wants this garbage team and we wouldn’t even go anyway because it would degrade basketball too much. I’m calling it now that we go 3-9, Mora leaves, and the program is disbanded within the next 3 years.

I’m beyond furious with this university for their decade of devaluing and utterly destroying this program. Leaving the AAC and giving up on football may be a top 10 worst college sports decision of all time. Look what happened to Cinci, Houston, UCF, SMU. If half that conference can make it - we certainly could have. But the school gave up and that is beyond abundantly clear right now.
Why is every football game a referendum on football viability? What a ridiculous take.

It is one football game.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mora should use some kind of QB spy/shadow that killed us again for 145 yards including a 65 yard run.
Investing in comfort by the OC rather than the most talented player at QB, is a major miscue.housing development on
This guy doesn’t have a good enough system that we should give a premium to someone familar with it.
GSU was literally spreading the field from sideline to sideline with four and five receiver sets. Asking Mitchell to cover the size area that you can build a housing development on. The added weight probably is not helping on the wide spreads.

Reaction Score
Like most fans on the boneyard, I am still in shock over Saturday’s game. Is this a Charlton, Mora, a lack of powerful center or lack of FBS quarterback issue it’s still too early for me to decide. I can believe that Joe Fagano was the most accurate thrower in practice and against our defense in simulated scrimmages. However, it’s hard to simulate what the other teams will bring to the table at game time in these preseason practices. My eyes tell me that Fagano was slow to react and find the open receiver. More the once he found the right throw but threw it too late. I also questioned whether he is athletic enough to be successful at this level. Being a step slow often prevents the quarterback from getting his body to the right spot on the field to make the right throw. I have no idea if Roberson is the right choice. However, he clearly makes faster reads than Joe has to date and is definitely more athletic. He also appears to have plenty of arm strength. Mora mentioned that Georgia State played a lot of zone against Roberson. However, wasn’t true for all the plays. On one play they brought an all out blitz against us and Roberson correctly read the play and dumped the ball off to Ross who picked up the first down. Maybe “the guy” is the true freshman quarterback that’s on the roster or maybe someone that’s not here yet, but I am looking forward to see what Roberson can do going forward. Let’s not throw in the towel on this team quite yet.

Reaction Score
For history buffs the endless string of head coaches who can't win is reminiscent of the endless line of losing Generals Lincoln had to put up with in Civil War. Many thought that Mora was UC's "Grant". Right now, that might not be the case.
Just an aside but did you ever read "Team Of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. IMO, very good book about Lincoln and his Cabinet.

Reaction Score
Just an aside but did you ever read "Team Of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. IMO, very good book about Lincoln and his Cabinet.
I did. I am a very big DKG fan. I also read the Boys of Summer. And I saw Jackie play at Ebbetts Field once. As I write this I am wearing a Dodgers replica hat, with, u guessed it a B on the front. But just like DKG, I became a Sox fan in 1967, the year of The Impossible Dream, crushed by Bob Gibson. Suffering is what people like us do. But our 1955 will come some day at the Rent.

Reaction Score
I did. I am a very big DKG fan. I also read the Boys of Summer. And I saw Jackie play at Ebbetts Field once. As I write this I am wearing a Dodgers replica hat, with, u guessed it a B on the front. But just like DKG, I became a Sox fan in 1967, the year of The Impossible Dream, crushed by Bob Gibson. Suffering is what people like us do. But our 1955 will come some day at the Rent.
"Boys of Summer" was a good read when I read it probably 20 years ago. I started my journey with the Sox in 1967 as a young lad. I just hope that I see my 2004 at the Rent before too long.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay.. did anyone see how Houston gave himself up on the 3rd and 2 instead of fighting to get to the first down??? Anyone know why we not using Mitchell by any chance?

Reaction Score
Watching the replay.. did anyone see how Houston gave himself up on the 3rd and 2 instead of fighting to get to the first down??? Anyone know why we not using Mitchell by any chance?
No answer but I would certainly like to see a bit more of Jalen Mitchell as well.

Reaction Score
To be fair to HCJM, if you will recall, it took a LONG time to fill the position. I am not sure how much interest there was.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say that game was probably the death of our program.

You can’t hype up a season like this and then perform this badly after being passed up again by the P5. There’s not a single way out for our program. No G5 wants this garbage team and we wouldn’t even go anyway because it would degrade basketball too much. I’m calling it now that we go 3-9, Mora leaves, and the program is disbanded within the next 3 years.

I’m beyond furious with this university for their decade of devaluing and utterly destroying this program. Leaving the AAC and giving up on football may be a top 10 worst college sports decision of all time. Look what happened to Cinci, Houston, UCF, SMU. If half that conference can make it - we certainly could have. But the school gave up and that is beyond abundantly clear right now.
We live for the orange ball fix. Leaving the AAC for the BE gave us a path to another nostalgia high and brought us another National Championship, a super high. Basketball junkies don’t care about the long term. The euphoria validates the decision, even though it once again proved to be on value in the scheme of major college sports CR. Everybody knows It will ultimately kill us as a flagship but the addicted don’t think like that, just get to November and we can forget about the rest of the world.

Reaction Score
He slipped. And I also noticed he was walking tenderly…maybe ankle…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We live for the orange ball fix. Leaving the AAC for the BE gave us a path to another nostalgia high and brought us another National Championship, a super high. Basketball junkies don’t care about the long term. The euphoria validates the decision, even though it once again proved to be on value in the scheme of major college sports CR. Everybody knows It will ultimately kill us as a flagship but the addicted don’t think like that, just get to November and we can forget about the rest of the world.
So, in your opinion, if we were still in the American, how do you believe that helps the school generally in the football program in particular?

Reaction Score
So, in your opinion, if we were still in the American, how do you believe that helps the school generally in the football program in particular?
Truthfully, it’s hard to know. What we can say is the BE is a massive step down for every other sport but basketball. We can reasonably conclude that basketball brings no real franchise value in the world of big money media. So, by all accounts we collected have another awesome trophy and still have no where to go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Truthfully, it’s hard to know. What we can say is the BE is a massive step down for every other sport but basketball. We can reasonably conclude that basketball brings no real franchise value in the world of big money media. So, by all accounts we collected have another awesome trophy and still have no where to go.
Well, given that collecting "awesome national championship trophies" is aspirational for most programs, I think that alone might be reasonable justification for most people. But here's the thing, UConn athletics was dying in the American period fan attendance at games, across all sports, was shrinking. Donations were shrinking. On top of all of that Aresco decided to take our tier 3 rates, which includes our lucrative women's basketball program rights, and tuck them away on ESPN plus, and, not give Connecticut a dollar for them. Keep in mind that those broadcast rates on SNY are worth over $1 million. That's a pretty good indication that he didn't have our best interest at heart. Also keep in mind that Connecticut reduced its travel costs by $2 million by leaving the American. Those two items alone are worth $3 million over and above the immediate attendance and donation increases. When evaluated in that way, the decision to leave the American was a reasonable one. That decision has been borne out over time.

Really, Aresco never view this as an asset of the the conference because are interested in a line well with his. He essentially wanted to blow the dust off the original concept of Conference USA, which he, effectively, was successful doing. I suspect he was the only person in America who was surprised that repeating the concept of CUSA, resulted in the exact same result as the original. And undervalued and under paid conference that at its highest and best use was a waystation looking for programs to get out. That was never a vision that worked for us. It absolutely was a step up for programs coming from mid major conferences, but that wasn't us. Having a commissioner who was hostile to our interests made it necessary to leave that conference. Ultimately, I think that's been proven, bye all the ways I've discussed above, including our men's basketball program collecting a 5th "awesome trophy."

Reaction Score
I love how many posters hate gadget plays but want Carlton to stop being so vanilla.

Reaction Score
Between penalties and negative yardage plays we put ourselves in 3rd and 14-17 at least 4 or 5 times. I cant remember so many 3rd and 10+ situations in a game.
I've seen that scenario quite a bit over the last 40 years. It must be part of the DNA required in a UConn offensive coordinator philosophy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom