Georgetown Post Game Presser | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Presser

Reaction Score
I was super impressed by Grace Ann Bennet, well spoken, grounded and just seems like a wonderful human being. A fan of coach Haney after hearing him tonight - I hadn't known anything about him before this interview. Really hope he is made their permanent head coach. If they do, I believe he will definitely built a great culture there and we will have another quality coach in the BE.

Reaction Score
It's a beautiful thing to see the depth of caring that Paige and Nika have for each other. Their experiences together at UConn obviously goes so much deeper than just being teammates. There is no doubt that their depth of friendship will be something they continue and carry with them throughout their lives. Freshman year it was quickly apparent that they really cared for and valued each other and it has continually grown. Both have said at times how they are really close with all their teammates - it's a sisterhood, but it seems Nika and Paige share a special bond.

I've written before that, I think, their class (Aaliyah, Paige and Nika), probably in part, due to coming in during the pandemic and on top of that all the unprecedented challenges that followed, have had a unique time together over their four years. We have witnessed that all UConn wcbb teams seem to share a strong sense of sisterhood and maintain bonds and friendship both with each other and with Geno and Chris beyond their time on campus, but I think these three along with Geno and Chris, because of how it began and what has followed have developed a special bond. Sometime during their freshman year, Geno said something to the affect that 'these kids, changed everything not just for the players but the coaches as well', their energy, attitude and passion was just infectious for their teammates and rekindled it for the coaching staff as well.

Their freshman year, we all remember the postgame interview video where in response to a question by 'reporter Evina Westbrook' about Coach saying its a problem that Paige encourages her teammates to shoot too much, that Nika replied 'Oh, we don't listen to him we do what Paige tells us to do' or when the 'wonder twins' visited his office sharing friendly banter culminating in them saying 'that their minds combined was the greatest force in the universe'. There was also a clip I remember seeing, where Geno was chasing a hysterical Nika around the locker room with a super soaker. It just seems that there was a different type of relationship that Geno had with Paige and Nika than anything we were witness to with any former 'current player'. We've seen some of that with Diana and Sue well past their playing years but, I at least, don't recall it happening while they were active.

While listening to the postgame interview today it again struck me, that for all of them, they share something deeper than just being teammates or coach and players. It reminded me of the simple gesture as the players left an earlier press conference following the first game back after Geno's mother died, as Nika stood to leave she put her hand on Geno's shoulder for a few seconds as she silently passed by him. Nika put it in words once, during a video where several players were asked what makes Geno Auriemma such a special coach, her response, "How great a friend he is....". For her, I think, having a clear coach to player relationship coexists alongside a true friendship. Perhaps Paige lives in that dichotomy as well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very impressed with Coach Haney and Graceann Bennett. Bennett spoke of the culture Haney is developing. Having specific goals for each player and games. A blueprint on how to win and to improve. Sounds familiar.

Haney has the foundation and the knowledge to build a very good basketball culture. Very happy to hear that the university is in negotiations to make him the head coach.

On the other end of the spectrum we saw the "slime twins", Paige and Nika. The culture of basketball at UConn is a perfect fit for the two. No question about their friendship is one that will last the entire lives.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I just saw on ESPN a clip of Bennett speaking of Haney....just beautiful! It also had a clip from their lockerroom
after the players had been told of Haney's hiring. Just fantastic...so happy for the team and the program
and the new Head Coach. Tears a'plenty.

Just LOVE the fact that she is from Lake George!

Reaction Score
Graceann touched on something I noticed with these younger generations. They have goals and emotions, but often there's a lack of concrete detail. Why is a topic for some book. So much of their expression is vague and they can get lost, lose focus or become unattached. I want to win or be successful is great, but identifying the steps to get there is part of the journey. Coach Haney seems to have aided them in identifying the actual steps. It's a big deal beyond basketball. Losing Tasha Butts and maintaining this focus is something they should all be proud of.

Reaction Score
Graceann talking about her coach brought me to tears. Happy for her, all the women on this team, and Coach Haney. A difficult on and off the court but they persevered. I really hope they have long and continued success.

Reaction Score
Graceann talking about her coach brought me to tears. Happy for her, all the women on this team, and Coach Haney. A difficult on and off the court but they persevered. I really hope they have long and continued success.
Me too! Twice in this press conference. Here, and when Paige dropped her head on table as she was full of emotion. Beautiful stuff.

I’m a fan of the Hoyas going forward. Excited to watch this coach grow and develop this team. So far doing amazing work.

Reaction Score
I was super impressed by Grace Ann Bennet, well spoken, grounded and just seems like a wonderful human being. A fan of coach Haney after hearing him tonight - I hadn't known anything about him before this interview. Really hope he is made their permanent head coach. If they do, I believe he will definitely built a great culture there and we will have another quality coach in the BE.
100%in agreement about Bennet and little doubt that Georgetown has to offer Haney the full-time coaching position with a multiple year contract after what he accomplished this year. He will be a definite credit to G-town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom