Geno Talks Again About Retirement | The Boneyard

Geno Talks Again About Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-10-25_9-23-16.png

The Huskies have won six national championships the past eight years. They have been to the Final Four nine consecutive times. Auriemma has coached his country to two Olympic gold medals. He said Monday he will coach no more Olympics, but after more than three decades at UConn?

"I've never had a timetable," Auriemma, 62, said at AAC media day. "I never thought this is a good time. This is a bad time. This is a perfect time. When it's time to step down I don't think it will have anything to do with our record. I think it will have more to do with how I feel about what I'm doing."

"I talked to our coaches the other day about Alexander the Great," Auriemma said. "I think the guys in the rock 'n' roll business took his great saying: I'd rather burn out than fade away. The thing that every coach worries about is staying too long.

"I have a great job," Auriemma said. "I have a great situation. I'm in a great place with tremendous people around me. I'll know when the time is right to retire. It's not there yet."

This year is too challenging, too exciting to miss.

[LINK] to complete article and video.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
'I'll know when I know' has been Geno's public take on it for a while, but I'm grateful that he did not leave it there on this occasion. I could put the Malox back in the medicine cabinet.

Reaction Score
I think Geno stays at least until he passes Pat Summit and then sets a record for the most D1 wins that will be next to impossible to beat along with 11 and hope fully more NC.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Right now Geno is 62 and relatively healthy. But we all know things can change rapidly at this age. We all hope for the best, but little things like progressive back or knee problems can change things. Major physical issues with him or his family can change things even more quickly. Honestly, I've got all appendages crossed, but 10 more years is optimistic.

Reaction Score
I think Geno stays at least until he passes Pat Summit and then sets a record for the most D1 wins that will be next to impossible to beat along with 11 and hope fully more NC.
I don't think his retirement is contingent on any personal things like number of career wins. I think he'll keep going for as long as he likes doing what he's doing, and is able to recruit the kind of players he likes.

Reaction Score
I am hoping to 10 or 15 years too. The historical precedent (like after Wooden at UCLA or after Summit at Tennessee) is not good for continued dominance. Maybe Shea or someone can replicate the record that Geno has created. The fact that no one has ever done what Geno has done, does not bode well for someone to follow him and do anything similar to what he has done. But who knows, UConn might be able to "catch lighting in a bottle" twice. The mens' program has done pretty well.

That said, we should all realize the unique circumstances that exist for this program today and enjoy every year, every game, every minute of it. Nothing lasts forever.

Reaction Score
I don't think his retirement is contingent on any personal things like number of career wins. I think he'll keep going for as long as he likes doing what he's doing, and is able to recruit the kind of players he likes.

HoopsFan21- - -
I agree with you! Following Geno & UCONN since 1995, I never got the impression that numbers, were important to him. I think he is a follower of HISTORY, his remark about Alexander The Great shows that, but I can't see Geno sitting around the house with Kathy having a glass of fine wine and saying I'd really like to get 1,200 wins or 15 NC's! He thinks it's neat to be in the conversation with John Wooden, etc. but he doesn't plan his life that way!
Geno wants to be in a gym where his Assts. and his players are trying to get better and are competitive every minute of practice, and thirsty for BB knowledge, "teach me Coach! type of environment"
When it's not fun, he's out of there!

Reaction Score
As long as Geno is personally recruiting, and getting, players who he wants to coach, I think that he will feel obligated to stay until they graduate because they will be coming to UConn because of him. I have a feeling that is something that they will expect, if not ask about.

So, barring illness, I think we don't have to worry until he stops recruiting personally and successfully.

Reaction Score
Right now Geno is 62 and relatively healthy. But we all know things can change rapidly at this age. We all hope for the best, but little things like progressive back or knee problems can change things. Major physical issues with him or his family can change things even more quickly. Honestly, I've got all appendages crossed, but 10 more years is optimistic.

If he is healthy at 62--with all the medical around him--he can and should be off an running until 80 at least---just don't do any major surgery's --they tend to take more than they give.
Geno has given us messages for the last 4 or 5 years and some of what he did a few years back---at one time with a less than good group of players---he stated often on CpTV that he hated coming to work--he called it WORK!!
When Work becomes Work--it's time to retire. Right now his job isn't work to him--he's loving every minute--he sees fun and exceptional players in his near future--.
If winning he'll stay until it is no longer fun.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
If he is healthy at 62--with all the medical around him--he can and should be off an running until 80 at least---just don't do any major surgery's --they tend to take more than they give.
Geno has given us messages for the last 4 or 5 years and some of what he did a few years back---at one time with a less than good group of players---he stated often on CpTV that he hated coming to work--he called it WORK!!
When Work becomes Work--it's time to retire. Right now his job isn't work to him--he's loving every minute--he sees fun and exceptional players in his near future--.
If winning he'll stay until it is no longer fun.

"just don't do any major surgery's---they tend to take more than they give."

Email him this sage advice, and copy his Medical Team as well. A lot of time, stress, and money will be saved.

Reaction Score
Geno's unique skill set and his willingness to demand excellence would be difficult to duplicate. But maybe there's a young, wise-guy/girl perfectionist out there itching for the chance to join a winning program.
I am hoping to 10 or 15 years too. The historical precedent (like after Wooden at UCLA or after Summit at Tennessee) is not good for continued dominance. Maybe Shea or someone can replicate the record that Geno has created. The fact that no one has ever done what Geno has done, does not bode well for someone to follow him and do anything similar to what he has done. But who knows, UConn might be able to "catch lighting in a bottle" twice. The mens' program has done pretty well.

That said, we should all realize the unique circumstances that exist for this program today and enjoy every year, every game, every minute of it. Nothing lasts forever.
set

Reaction Score
62 is the new 42. We've got Geno for at least another 10-15 years.

I think you're right. Not 15 but 10 and that's it. He will have a hard time leaving because it is who he is. I used to really dislike the guy but he has turned into a better human being as he has aged.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
62 is the new 42. We've got Geno for at least another 10-15 years.

That's probably a little optimistic. In our case at SC, I wish Steve Spurrier had retired at 67 instead of 70. In the business world I have seen very few people retain their fire too far past 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom