Geno & Nika's Unique Relationship | The Boneyard

Geno & Nika's Unique Relationship

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In his 38 years coaching UConn WBB, Geno Auriemma has accomplished a great deal. But as much as all the wins and championships stand out, I think Geno would tell you that what has been most rewarding for him has been his ability to do everything in his power to help his players achieve their potential, not only as basketball players, but also as wonderful young women. For this reason in particular, just about all of his current and former players have a deep appreciation and affection for Geno.

With that said, through the years there have been a handful of great players that tested Geno’s patience and probably left him with more than a few gray hairs. DT & Sveta immediately come to mind. I’m sure there were others. To some extent, these players are mirror images of Geno himself: smart, tough, talented, stubborn and irreverent.

So it is that I find myself marveling at the unique relationship between Geno and his current pg. One need only consider some of the comments Geno made after the thrilling win over Baylor on Monday night. On the big hug he gave a smiling Nika when she subbed out at the end of the game, “I whispered in her ear, I still hate you. She said something that I won’t repeat.” When talking about getting Lou to her first Sweet 16, “Those are the kind of things that make this job rewarding….But Nika balances those things out.” While complementing Nika on how hard she pushes the team, Geno added, “She pushes and pushes me to the brink, but she always stops right before I deport her.”

In discussing the scenario when he draws up a play during a timeout and, as everyone’s heading back onto the court, Nika suggests a change at the last minute. Geno indicated that he used to argue with her, but she would run her play anyways, so he just gives in and says, “Yea that sounds good.” Geno went on to say, “When it works, she’s so proud of herself. But when it doesn’t, she won’t look at me for 5 minutes.”

During interviews, Nika is self-depreciating, as when she indicated that her logo-shot at the half against Baylor was “an accident,’’ unlike a very talented guard at Iowa who "knew her shot was going in." Nika prefers to talk about and praise her teammates, which she affectionately refers to as “her family.” For her part, Nika has acknowledged that she was practically “un-coachable” when she arrived at UConn, and that she likes to be “coached hard.”

What exactly should we make of this odd relationship? It’s too easy to suggest that Geno is just a ball-buster and Nika gets some strange satisfaction from testing his patience. I have another theory. When a group of young American hockey players completed the Mircle on Ice during the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, beating the Soviet Union, the greatest hockey team in the world at that time, Head Coach Herb Brooks had his own unique relationship with Team Captain Mike Eruzione, a tough, working-class Italian-American kid from Boston. Brooks and Eruzione had an understanding that Brooks would yell at Eruzione, the hardest working and most beloved player on the team, to motivate everyone else, and it worked.

Could Geno constantly throwing shade at Nika be the master psychologist at work? Nika seems to thrive on Geno’s negative attention and this team has overcome obstacles and challenges that would have broken most other teams. But don’t get me wrong. At the heart of Geno’s relationship with his pg is an incomparable appreciation for what she brings to this team.

After throwing shade at Nika for 10 minutes on Monday night, Geno abruptly changed course. He talked about all the great guards in the nation and all the great guards the Huskies have played against, implying that very talented guard at Iowa, and he then acknowledged, “There’s nobody in America that I would trade Nika for.” Who knows? Maybe there’s a storybook ending to this season for UConn….The Miracle on Hardwood!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Very nice analysis. The relationship very much reminds of the Svetlana give and take. Geno cherishes these special interactions with “stubborn” players. I remember him using that word when he talked about Sveta and Jen Rizotti as well.

Reaction Score
Nikapat on Geno's shoulder-Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 8.39.18 AM .png
Nika's compassionate pat 2/2/23
Nika concussion.jpeg
Geno's concern after Nika's concussion.

These two pictures, to me, speak to the depth of a relationship between Geno and Nika that will far outlast either of their times at Uconn. I believe their bond and friendship is being built on a far greater plane than merely what happens on the court. Having said that I recall, I believe during Nika's freshman year, Geno was somewhat exasperated/frustrated with how the season was going and he made a quip about hanging it up and Nika quickly responded that wasn't happening because he had promised her before she signed that he would be there for all four years.

Like so many former players relationship with Geno this one is a keeper!

Reaction Score
Watching her on the floor up close against Seton Hall in South Orange and then having great seats against Baylor, it was pure fun seeing their interaction. Against Seton Hall, Nika had totally shut down Park Lane in the first quarter who had 2 fouls right away, and Nika was having a great assist game. She tried to thread the needle on a fast break to Aaliyah with about 20 seconds left in the first quarter instead of setting up a play for the last shot. The game was already over. Geno screamed at Nika, and she didn't look at him but had a "Really? Gimme a break. I'm killing it" look on her face. It was hysterical. Against Baylor, he went crazy on her after she picked up her third foul. Her reaction was as though he wasn't there.

See, Geno got what he wanted. A coach on the floor who has taken ownership of the team and everyone on it. He got a little bit of Sue, a little bit of Jenn, a little bit of Moriah and Crystal and others all in one. Over this summer, when she gets a fast and true pull up J, a quicker release on her 3s by stepping into the pass like Azzi and CD do, and learns to twist her right hand slightly on those breakaway fast breaks so she is not too strong off the glass, you will see an All-American next year.

When you see her live, you also see a truly great college defensive player with the heart of a riverboat gambler who will relentlessly harass, torment, and at times embarrass an opponent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Remember how distraught we all were in August when we lost Paige, the former NPOY and the best pg/combo guard in the nation. While many BY’ers considered Nika to be a “serviceable” pg, there was a lot of discussion about moving Azzi to pg, not knowing that we would also lose Azzi for most of the season.

Nika’s efforts to hold this UConn team together and bring it to the precipice of yet another FF have been extraordinary. Consider that she is only 21 assists short of the “Ruthian” total of 300 assists in a single season. 20 years from now those BY’ers still alive and kicking will be singing the praises of the remarkable Croatian pg that saved UConn’s 2022-23 season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno has the ability as a coach and a person to understand that each kid who plays for him are unique. As such, he can create these symbiotic relationships with his players where they both give and take what they need from each other to bring out the best in themselves. He has learned what motivates Nika and how to bring the best out of her. Nika has learned what Geno (and her team) needs from her and busts her buns to provide it.

I firmly believe if Paige were playing, he would be making similar comments about her. Yes, she is more talented than Nika, but she has the same confidence and self-awareness (and devotion to her coach and teammates) to challenge Geno and drive him equally crazy. You saw this in her freshman year.

I don't think you will ever hear similar comments from Geno about Azzi, for instance. She's a different person than Nika or Paige.

Deep down, I think he has a lot of love and respect for all of his players, but the special ones are the players who challenge him. I bet that he feels he has to keep them grounded so they don't run amok. That may or may not be true, but it's his responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen. Think of it as a father's relationship with a "high spirited" challenging daughter. I'm sure Darko gets it, as do many of us fathers with daughters. ;)

He has a strong bond and relationship with most of his players, though it will be different for each player as each has their unique motivations and needs from their coach. That is apparent when you see so many alumni returning to Storrs for games and how his players speak of him.

There have been players where things have just not worked out, of course. That's to be expected as each person is unique and sometimes a relationship just won't click in spite of the best intentions of both people in the relationship. I think Geno still cares about those kids too. Maybe not as basketball players, but as people.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When I saw the title to this thread Tina Charles popped into my head. With a couple of minutes left Geno started pulling the starters and they were all getting big hugs from Geno. Tina had been a monster in the game and the announcer said he couldn't imagine Geno's reaction when she came off. She came off and approached Geno and he went right by her and up court to bark at the subs. Tina made a nonplused expression and went on to hug her teammates who were all giving puzzled shrugs about Geno.

It was quite the scene. Now we know Geno and Tina have a great relationship. "He saw something in me that I didn't." But Geno is Geno and you never know. In that moment what he saw on the floor was more important, even in a won game. A decade and a half later his priorities have shifted a bit I think. Also, I'm sure he paid interest on the deferred hug after the game.

Reaction Score
Geno is a very special human being!
As I stated once he is very OLD WORLD which comes from being born in Italy and his parents European upbringing!
He can drive his players crazy but NO coach has as many loyal alumni that love him for who he is!
Rebecca Lobo in her Springfield Hall of Fame induction speech that "She owes everything in her life to him!"
He made Sue Bird cry and sent her off the court and she turned and said, "F--- you!" But returned 10 minutes later and apologized to the team!
In 2001 in St Louis at the Final Four semi game vs ND UCONN was winning by 18 points when Rotan hit a 3 at the 1/2 time buzzer!
Geno came in the locker room and went berserk turning over tables and threw a chair how could they let her score that 3?
As everyone knows ND came back from 15 down to beat UCONN and go on to win their 1st championship!
In an earlier Geno Show several years back Sue Bird was the guest and Geno asked her if she finally forgave him for 2001?
She answered there's nothing to forgive!
A month ago I posted about the Jeff Jacobs article about the relationship Geno had with his PG Renee Montgomery, at the end she said I guess now I love him, which drove Geno to tears!
When Pat Summitt passed away Geno went to her funeral and then contributed $1,000's of dollars to her charity!
When UCONN won their 4th straight National Championship back in 2016 close to 30 alumni came back to watch the game and took a picture with that present team!
Diana Taurasi said there is no major decision in her life that she doesn't call Geno first and ask his advice!
I know there are more Geno "stories" I could put down here but my 75 year old mind can't remember them!
People, we are truly witnessing one of the great men of recent times!
He loves Nika Muhl because she reminds him of himself at 10 years old in America when he would handle the family business because he was the only one in the family that spoke English! That tough, feisty, hard headed Europen style that they both have!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In his 38 years coaching UConn WBB, Geno Auriemma has accomplished a great deal. But as much as all the wins and championships stand out, I think Geno would tell you that what has been most rewarding for him has been his ability to do everything in his power to help his players achieve their potential, not only as basketball players, but also as wonderful young women. For this reason in particular, just about all of his current and former players have a deep appreciation and affection for Geno.

With that said, through the years there have been a handful of great players that tested Geno’s patience and probably left him with more than a few gray hairs. DT & Sveta immediately come to mind. I’m sure there were others. To some extent, these players are mirror images of Geno himself: smart, tough, talented, stubborn and irreverent.

So it is that I find myself marveling at the unique relationship between Geno and his current pg. One need only consider some of the comments Geno made after the thrilling win over Baylor on Monday night. On the big hug he gave a smiling Nika when she subbed out at the end of the game, “I whispered in her ear, I still hate you. She said something that I won’t repeat.” When talking about getting Lou to her first Sweet 16, “Those are the kind of things that make this job rewarding….But Nika balances those things out.” While complementing Nika on how hard she pushes the team, Geno added, “She pushes and pushes me to the brink, but she always stops right before I deport her.”

In discussing the scenario when he draws up a play during a timeout and, as everyone’s heading back onto the court, Nika suggests a change at the last minute. Geno indicated that he used to argue with her, but she would run her play anyways, so he just gives in and says, “Yea that sounds good.” Geno went on to say, “When it works, she’s so proud of herself. But when it doesn’t, she won’t look at me for 5 minutes.”

During interviews, Nika is self-depreciating, as when she indicated that her logo-shot at the half against Baylor was “an accident,’’ unlike a very talented guard at Iowa who "knew her shot was going in." Nika prefers to talk about and praise her teammates, which she affectionately refers to as “her family.” For her part, Nika has acknowledged that she was practically “un-coachable” when she arrived at UConn, and that she likes to be “coached hard.”

What exactly should we make of this odd relationship? It’s too easy to suggest that Geno is just a ball-buster and Nika gets some strange satisfaction from testing his patience. I have another theory. When a group of young American hockey players completed the Mircle on Ice during the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, beating the Soviet Union, the greatest hockey team in the world at that time, Head Coach Herb Brooks had his own unique relationship with Team Captain Mike Eruzione, a tough, working-class Italian-American kid from Boston. Brooks and Eruzione had an understanding that Brooks would yell at Eruzione, the hardest working and most beloved player on the team, to motivate everyone else, and it worked.

Could Geno constantly throwing shade at Nika be the master psychologist at work? Nika seems to thrive on Geno’s negative attention and this team has overcome obstacles and challenges that would have broken most other teams. But don’t get me wrong. At the heart of Geno’s relationship with his pg is an incomparable appreciation for what she brings to this team.

After throwing shade at Nika for 10 minutes on Monday night, Geno abruptly changed course. He talked about all the great guards in the nation and all the great guards the Huskies have played against, implying that very talented guard at Iowa, and he then acknowledged, “There’s nobody in America that I would trade Nika for.” Who knows? Maybe there’s a storybook ending to this season for UConn….The Miracle on Hardwood!
OD, you outdid your self. In the 8 years I’ve been posting on the Boneyard, this is one of the best posts I’ve read. A very well written and comprehensive “think piece.” Thank you. I join Javaman in recognizing you as our own genuine wordsmith. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very nice analysis. The relationship very much reminds of the Svetlana give and take. Geno cherishes these special interactions with “stubborn” players. I remember him using that word when he talked about Sveta and Jen Rizotti as well.
Stubborn players are sometimes your best players. The fact that Nika can now admit the fact that she was uncoachable when she first got here shows us how much she has grown and matured. I love “guile” and moxie in my players. If nothing else, you know without a doubt they are going to show up and compete for every game. No magic tricks or disappearing acts.

You might lose the game, but it was not because your players were scared, intimidated, or just shut down and could not raise the level of their play to its normal standard.

Reaction Score

Turns out there's razor maker from Germany called M. Muhle, famous for his 2-sided cutting instrument. Might this be a Muhl relative? Can we compare Nika to a 2-sided razor?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I wonder what @CocoHusky think of Nika's play this year if he/she is still around.
First , in regards to CocoHusky, I have tried to send him messages through the BY, my attempts. have brought no results. My first try was about 2 months ago, wish he was back to posting, he had many very insightful thoughts and posts. In regards to Nika, what she brings to the current team would have been impossible last year. The level of maturity in play and leadership has taken a huge leap since last season. She has reigned in her proclivity. to garner silly fouls and usually now plays under more control. For me it's hard not to think that in large part her leap forward is not a result of her maturity and Geno and staffs relentless coaching.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My favorite comment on Nika by Geno; (quoted from memory) "She hates the refs. She hates the opponents. She hates me. And that is the way she plays!" I think maybe that is the quote where he goes on to say that he wouldn't trade her for anyone.

Carnac

Reaction Score
First , in regards to CocoHusky, I have tried to send him messages through the BY, my attempts. have brought no results. My first try was about 2 months ago, wish he was back to posting, he had many very insightful thoughts and posts. In regards to Nika, what she brings to the current team would have been impossible last year. The level of maturity in play and leadership has taken a huge leap since last season. She has reigned in her proclivity. to garner silly fouls and usually now plays under more control. For me it's hard not to think that in large part her leap forward is not a result of her maturity and Geno and staffs relentless coaching.
Coco’s last post here was on December 15, 2022. It appears he’s no longer with us, or has become a lurker. Another poster has told me that he also misses Coco. I concur, Coco is missed. I miss Bags27 also. He’s been gone a while. He bid us a fond farewell before he left. He was an insider. I always enjoyed reading his comments.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno is a very special human being!
As I stated once he is very OLD WORLD which comes from being born in Italy and his parents European upbringing!
He can drive his players crazy but NO coach has as many loyal alumni that love him for who he is!
Rebecca Lobo in her Springfield Hall of Fame induction speech that "She owes everything in her life to him!"
He made Sue Bird cry and sent her off the court and she turned and said, "F--- you!" But returned 10 minutes later and apologized to the team!
In 2001 in St Louis at the Final Four semi game vs ND UCONN was winning by 18 points when Rotan hit a 3 at the 1/2 time buzzer!
Geno came in the locker room and went berserk turning over tables and threw a chair how could they let her score that 3?
As everyone knows ND came back from 15 down to beat UCONN and go on to win their 1st championship!
In an earlier Geno Show several years back Sue Bird was the guest and Geno asked her if she finally forgave him for 2001?
She answered there's nothing to forgive!
A month ago I posted about the Jeff Jacobs article about the relationship Geno had with his PG Renee Montgomery, at the end she said I guess now I love him, which drove Geno to tears!
When Pat Summitt passed away Geno went to her funeral and then contributed $1,000's of dollars to her charity!
When UCONN won their 4th straight National Championship back in 2016 close to 30 alumni came back to watch the game and took a picture with that present team!
Diana Taurasi said there is no major decision in her life that she doesn't call Geno first and ask his advice!
I know there are more Geno "stories" I could put down here but my 75 year old mind can't remember them!
People, we are truly witnessing one of the great men of recent times!
He loves Nika Muhl because she reminds him of himself at 10 years old in America when he would handle the family business because he was the only one in the family that spoke English! That tough, feisty, hard headed Europen style that they both have!
He actually wrote a check for $10,000.00, he was the first coach to contribute to Pat's Alzheimer's back in 2012. Then he gave another for a $1,000 at Pat's funeral. On Jan 23, 2020 UConn donated $10,000, he was in tears when they presented it at center court at the XL Center I believe. Then in 2021 he and Harper each gave another $10,000.

Reaction Score
He actually wrote a check for $10,000.00, he was the first coach to contribute to Pat's Alzheimer's back in 2012. Then he gave another for a $1,000 at Pat's funeral. On Jan 23, 2020 UConn donated $10,000, he was in tears when they presented it at center court at the XL Center I believe. Then in 2021 he and Harper each gave another $10,000.

I think that immigrant experience is the core of the very deep commonality between them. There is a great generosity of spirit that they share. Watching her with the fans after the Vermont game from a few feet away, she is about as sweet and kind off the court as you will find. On it, she's the immigrant, and if you are in her way, you best be moving out and fast. BTW, it takes an awful lot of strength of character to not be the best player on the team but at the same time to be its undisputed leader. Alone in a new country with a sister only now miles away, she has internal fortitude that we are just beginning to see reveal itself.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Today's article with some extra spice -
“When we got to the Big East Tournament, after we played Xavier [a 60-51 win], I told Nika on Thursday or Friday, I said, ‘I got tickets to Florida,’” Auriemma said Friday. “She goes, ‘Oh yeah, when you going?’ I said, ‘Sunday morning.’ She goes, ‘What? I said, ‘There’s no chance we’re playing Sunday and Monday in the Big East Tournament, not the way we’re playing. She gives me this look like she wants to rip my face off. I said, ‘I’m just saying. I just go by what I see, man.’

“So after we win Monday night, she goes, ‘Now you can go to Florida and I don’t care if you stay there.’

“I would rather deal with somebody like Sveta or Nika, or Diana or Sue, or Maya [Moore] – I would rather deal with guys like that anytime, instead of the, ‘OK, Coach, OK Coach, OK Coach,’ without there being any pushback and fight,”

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nika is Geno's mini me! She is the floor general. She is the team leader. She is a Geno point guard in every sense of the word.

What makes this all so special, especially this season, is that there is genuine love and respect between the two of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom