Geno meets with media (July 1) | The Boneyard

Geno meets with media (July 1)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Not very gracious (indirect) remarks about the Nneka snub.
As reported by espn...
Why is he so defensive?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Why is he so defensive?
What do you want him to say? He can not and should not speak about the committee's deliberations and decision regarding any player. That would be wrong. It was not his decision alone.

He's being blamed (directly or indirectly) by some members of the media who cover WBB (Ann Jillion, LaChina Robinson and Mechelle Voepel). He's pointing out a double standard that seems pretty obvious.

Reaction Score

As reported by espn...
Why is he so defensive?
He’s not going to usurp the lightning rod role for the committee.

Reaction Score
What do you want him to say? He can not and should not speak about the committee's deliberations and decision regarding any player. That would be wrong. It was not his decision alone.

He's being blamed (directly or indirectly) by some members of the media who cover WBB (Ann Jillion, LaChina Robinson and Mechelle Voepel). He's pointing out a double standard that seems pretty obvious.
Geno will never be able to '"win" with certain opinionated individuals but that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to his incredible record as a basketball coach. Amen

Reaction Score

As reported by espn...
Why is he so defensive?
Is he defensive or just fed up? He’s pissed because everything is always his fault, who makes it and doesn’t always falls back on him for some reason, whether he’s coach or on the committee. I bet he’s also mad because this narrivite completely discredits the UConn women who did make it, pretty much implying they made it in big part because of the school they played at in college and other players deserve it more over them. It completely dismisses all the hard work and effort they put in to be where they are.
I think his remarks were professional all things considering. .

W

wolfe613

from reading and watching I believe the omission that they are saying Uconn bias is Collier getting in over Nneka, also Taurasi being hurt and not having a good season. I haven't watched a single Lynx game so can't say if Collier deserved to be in or not.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
hc-sp-uconn-women-geno-team-updates-20210702-llk5gx5gtvdh3ohpmzy2ugeleu-story.html

1. The team is even more competitive than last year, and they have improved noticeably since June 1.

2. Caroline Ducharme is the most improved and plays with an edge.

3. Dorka is really skilled and a full 6'5".

4. Christyn is continuing her intensity, and Liv has worked hard in drills and is playing with greater confidence.

Reaction Score
from reading and watching I believe the omission that they are saying Uconn bias is Collier getting in over Nneka, also Taurasi being hurt and not having a good season. I haven't watched a single Lynx game so can't say if Collier deserved to be in or not.
As of 6/21/21, Nneka is recovering from a knee injury (recovery time about 4 weeks).

From 5/25/21, Diana was expected to take 4 weeks to recover from a chest injury.

So Diana is ready, and Nneka isn’t. It also seems that Nneka and Napheesa weren’t expected to be playing the same roles, so not a one-for-one. At least that’s my take.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee is 10th in scoring and 12th in rebounding. Nneka hasn't played enough to be in the official stats, but she would be 15th in scoring and 12th in rebounding.

Last year, Nneka averaged 13.3/4.8. Phee averaged 16.1/9.0 and made 2nd Team All-WNBA.

W

wolfe613

Phee is 10th in scoring and 12th in rebounding. Nneka hasn't played enough to be in the official stats, but she would be 15th in scoring and 12th in rebounding.

Last year, Nneka averaged 13.3/4.8. Phee averaged 16.1/9.0 and made 2nd Team All-WNBA.
but this process is not judged on only this season, Nneka I believe was the only one who was at the camp and chose to go there instead of making money overseas

Reaction Score
hc-sp-uconn-women-geno-team-updates-20210702-llk5gx5gtvdh3ohpmzy2ugeleu-story.html

1. The team is even more competitive than last year, and they have improved noticeably since June 1.

2. Caroline Ducharme is the most improved and plays with an edge.

3. Dorka is really skilled and a full 6'5".

4. Christyn is continuing her intensity, and Liv has worked hard in drills and is playing with greater confidence.
Wow! Love that Geno said Dorka can shoot the hell out of it. Sounds like she just needs to focus on control. I’m excited to see her! Caroline too, really interesting insight into her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As of 6/21/21, Nneka is recovering from a knee injury (recovery time about 4 weeks).

From 5/25/21, Diana was expected to take 4 weeks to recover from a chest injury.

So Diana is ready, and Nneka isn’t. It also seems that Nneka and Napheesa weren’t expected to be playing the same roles, so not a one-for-one. At least that’s my take.
Quote possibly the reason...and hard to doubt the validity
Which then goes back to my query above...

Why is everyone...Geno, the committee so defensive?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What would you consider an appropriate, non-defensive response to the questions, given that neither Geno nor the other committee members can possibly discuss individual personnel decisions in public?

They are defensive because they were attacked by all the people who say that "it's all political". How should they respond to the people (all over the Twitter-verse) who are saying that?

Reaction Score
Quote possibly the reason...and hard to doubt the validity
Which then goes back to my query above...

How are they being defensive? By not commenting? When in the past have you ever seen the committee publicly justify every pick and non-pick? Ask Staley to justify them and see how far you get.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno appears very relaxed. Answered questions to the extent he could without being defensive at all.
and his tan and smile is blinding. Hopefully, we never see him unshaven again.

Time to take back what is ours. Geno said that the depth and competitiveness of this team is last comparable to Stewie's freshman year. :D:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom