Geno = Jose? | The Boneyard

Geno = Jose?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don`t recall a non-Canadian international player of significance at UConn between Svetlana and Anna Makurat. That is a long stretch.

Geno supposedly swore off of international players after Svetlana, although I don`t know how much of that was tongue in cheek. She was special, albeit not the easiest to coach. In any event, there was a long hiatus. There was Kia Nurse, of course, and then Aaliyah, but Canada is not the same as Europe.

Anna was a late addition to a very small recruiting class after Geno struck out on a number of high profile recruits. Aubrey was the only other one in that class. Jones and Boston went elsewhere.

Somewhere along the line we took a shot at Ezi Magbegor. I remember seeing her at Gampel. That would have been fun.

I think Nika came through a tip from Ashley Battle and a recommendation from Coach Popovich. Then, our current transfers from Ohio State and Fairfield, and Ines as a late addition following Paige`s injury.

I think a number of factors are involved in the increased UConn focus overseas. At least the following three:

One, a recognition that there is a whole heck of a lot of talent overseas. The depth and quality of that talent seems to be trending upward significantly.

Two, many previously dormant college programs are on the rise in recent years and recruiting U.S. players is getting more and more competitive.

Three, Geno/UConn has a huge reputation overseas.

Still pretty selective though. El Alfy is certainly front and center, a couple of Canadians are on the radar screen, and Juste`s name pops up now and then but no real evidence of anything happening there. United States players will continue to be the primary but not exclusive focal point. Notwithstanding our large current number of international players, I do not see us long term morphing into USF North.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2 transfers, 2 recruits and 1 out of necessity. Not sure what the poster is alluding to. In 2 years there may be 1 or 2 international players on the roster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don`t recall a non-Canadian international player of significance at UConn between Svetlana and Anna Makurat. That is a long stretch.

Geno supposedly swore off of international players after Svetlana, although I don`t know how much of that was tongue in cheek. She was special, albeit not the easiest to coach. In any event, there was a long hiatus. There was Kia Nurse, of course, and then Aaliyah, but Canada is not the same as Europe.

Anna was a late addition to a very small recruiting class after Geno struck out on a number of high profile recruits. Aubrey was the only other one in that class. Jones and Boston went elsewhere.

I think Nika came through a tip from Ashley Battle and a recommendation from Coach Popovich. Then, our current transfers from Ohio State and Fairfield, and Ines as a late addition following Paige`s injury.

I think a number of factors are involved in the increased UConn focus overseas. At least the following three:

One, a recognition that there is a whole heck of a lot of talent overseas. The depth and quality of that talent seems to be trending upward significantly.

Two, many previously dormant college programs are on the rise in recent years and recruiting U.S. players is getting more and more competitive.

Three, Geno/UConn has a huge reputation overseas.

Still pretty selective though. El Alfy is certainly front and center, a couple of Canadians are on the radar screen, and Juste`s name pops up now and then but no real evidence of anything happening there. United States players will continue to be the primary but not exclusive focal point. Notwithstanding our large current number of international players, I do not see us long term morphing into USF North.
I was going to jump in here to answer the OP’s question. But you literally made every single point I would make. Well stated.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
LOL -- when I saw the thread title, I (geek that I am) I was thinking the OP was equating the names. FWIW, Geno (Luigi) = Luis in Spanish; Jose = Giuseppe in Italian.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was going to jump in here to answer the OP’s question. But you literally made every single point I would make. Well stated.
Thank you - haven`t heard much from you recently, hope you are ready and raring to go!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2 transfers, 2 recruits and 1 out of necessity. Not sure what the poster is alluding to. In 2 years there may be 1 or 2 international players on the roster.
You may be missing the point. In his first 32 years as UConn’s HC Geno had 1 foreign player outside North America, Sveta Abrosimova. In 2019-20 he added 2 more: Makurat & Adebayo. A year later he added Nika. A year later he added Dorka. This year he’s added Lou & Ines. So that’s 1 European player in 32 years vs 6 European players in 4 years.

In addition, we know UConn is currently recruiting both European players as well as an Egyptian player. Geno has clearly made a commitment to recruiting overseas which I don’t see changing for the rest of Geno’s coaching career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of the 6 in 4 years only 2 were recruited, Nika and Ines. The others were from the Euro League, transfers, or the portal. In his first 32 years his first foreign player was his best one.

Reaction Score
You may be missing the point. In his first 32 years as UConn’s HC Geno had 1 foreign player outside North America, Sveta Abrosimova. In 2019-20 he added 2 more: Makurat & Adebayo. A year later he added Nika. A year later he added Dorka. This year he’s added Lou & Ines. So that’s 1 European player in 32 years vs 6 European players in 4 years.

In addition, we know UConn is currently recruiting both European players as well as an Egyptian player. Geno has clearly made a commitment to recruiting overseas which I don’t see changing for the rest of Geno’s coaching career.
Don’t forget Tihana Abrlic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t forget Tihana Abrlic.
There’s an obscure name out of the past which forced me to do a little research. There were a handful of obscure players through the years from outside North America that made their way to Storrs. Most were only around for a year or so, and none really made much of a contribution.

As follows:
  • Jessica McCormack - NZ. Transferred from Washington for the 2008-09 season, sitting out due to the transfer rules. Went back to NZ after the season never to return.
  • Rashidat Sadiq - Nigeria. Came to UConn from a junior college in 2004-05. Played 1 season, averaging 5.9 mpg, then transferred to OK.
  • Tihana Abrlic - Croatia. Came to UConn from Central FL CC from 1997-99. Averaged just 1.5 ppg over 2 seasons.
  • Orly Grossman. Transferred to UConn after 2 years at the U of Tel Aviv in Israel. Grossman was actually a solid contributor in UConn’s first FF team in 1990-91. She returned to Israel after just 1 season to be with her family during the Persian Gulf War.

Reaction Score
Of the 6 in 4 years only 2 were recruited, Nika and Ines. The others were from the Euro League, transfers, or the portal. In his first 32 years his first foreign player was his best one.
So you don’t have to recruit transfers/portal or Euro league players? They just show up and tell you they are on the team?

Reaction Score
As Huskee11 said about the opinion of Gino and UConn Women's basketball overseas.

He is considered to be nearly god-like overseas.

If any foreign coaches or players are even aware of any other US women's coaches or teams. they certainly are not viewed with the same awe as the UConn program.

Gino has a huge recruiting advantage over every other American college program in getting the best overseas players.

Didn't Nika say that when they got the offer from Gino that she and her parents cried for five minutes.

With all the foreign players on the team, UConn will probably get even more press overseas.

The players, when they go back home, will be proudly wearing their UConn colors.

Reaction Score
Referring to players as incoming freshmen not older players. Recruiting transfers , portal and Euro players is more a matter of need and mutual interest and it is predictable more or less where the top players in the portal end up.

Reaction Score
Your thoughts on UConn recent plunge into international recruits. Seems like more than before.

My reaction......
Indiferenca Ok GIF

Reaction Score

This may be partly out of necessity.............if some of the American players he wants aren't choosing UConn, Geno needs to cast a wider net.....,,.I also think he views these foreign players as less spoiled and very eager to learn.....

Reaction Score
Gino is how you spell it in Italian.
Tell that to his Italian parents or did UConn staff make him change it?
Lol How do you spell it in English?

Geno is a boy's name of Italian origin, meaning "well-born" or "noble." It is a derivative of Eugene and Gene, which have the same meaning

Reaction Score
Geno is a boy's name of Italian origin, meaning "well-born" or "noble." It is a derivative of Eugene and Gene, which have the same meaning
It is not a derivative of Eugene or Gene in Geno's case. Geno's real name is Luigi.

Reaction Score
Geno has said that he likes the Euro youth programs. They practice while in the US they play. He doesn't like having to teach fundamentals.
No coach or assistants at the D1 level should be teaching fundamentals.
When Geno has positions to fill I think he feels more comfortable with int’l players than with the transfer portal.
With all due respect I think Geno will take any avenue to bring the best possible player to fill a need that meets his criteria.
This regardless of where they are from. Just MHO Geno likes players that can contribute to winning games as a team player and can adapt to his philosophy on the game.

Reaction Score
Tell that to his Italian parents or did UConn staff make him change it?
Lol How do you spell it in English?

And Luigi?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom