Geno answers the question of fouling on ESPN | The Boneyard

Geno answers the question of fouling on ESPN

Reaction Score
he doesn't trust his player to commit a foul before a 3 is taken? Uh that sounds alarming

Reaction Score
He gave a much more detailed answer in the post-game scrum on Monday, including having no confidence in his own decision-making.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He gave a much more detailed answer in the post-game scrum on Monday, including having no confidence in his own decision-making.
The PTI answer was a big mash up but he sounded more precise in the scrum. The only reasoning that seemed to resonate with me at some level is with Dorka out, he worried that NCSt would sneak a rebound off a FT miss.

The part where he said he does not trust the players to not foul the player in the 3pt shooting motion is not good. Geno has some of the smartest players I think, and that is what practice is for.

Maybe this is a function of not often being in last second games. But I am glad he can reverse his thinking if needed.

Reaction Score
The PTI answer was a big mash up but he sounded more precise in the scrum. The only reasoning that seemed to resonate with me at some level is with Dorka out, he worried that NCSt would sneak a rebound off a FT miss.

The part where he said he does not trust the players to not foul the player in the 3pt shooting motion is not good. Geno has some of the smartest players I think, and that is what practice is for.

Maybe this is a function of not often being in last second games. But I am glad he can reverse his thinking if needed.

I actually was worried about Azzi trying to stop Perez near midcourt and jumping too close into her. That shot almost went in and imagine if it had and they called a foul as well. Same with Evina almost fouling the inbound receiver. I don't know why they even try to do that.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno never fouls in that situation. Didn't in 2014 against Stanford and Orrange hit the game-tying three. Didn't in 2013 against the Irish and McBride hit the game-tying three.

It is interesting he said he'd foul now if he could do it again.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I actually was worried about Azzi trying to stop Perez near midcourt and jumping too close into her. That shot almost went in and imagine if it had and they called a foul as well. Same with Evina almost fouling the inbound receiver. I don't know why they even try to do that.
Some UConn players have done that before, including Paige. Makes no sense. Why give the officials a chance to call a foul?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i think i'm missing something: say, as in the above end of first overtime example, there are about 6 sec left and you lead by 3. foe has ball in their forecourt. only chance for them is a 3 or 4 point play, barring some freakish issue involving the clock or technical foul (refs would have a hell of a time living that down!)

why would you not deploy all 5 of your defensive players along (or beyond) the 3-point arch: any offensive player inside the arch is no threat at all if no one is there to foul them, and you have placed all your defensive players in territory from which a real 3 (or 4) point threat could be launched.

seems to make sense, no? better than an intentional foul with attending variable risks?

Reaction Score
Good interview on PTI. Tony also asked Geno about retirement plans and if Geno ever thinks about retirement. Geno responded that he thinks about retirement everyday halfway through practice. He mentioned other people his age retiring to Florida to golf rather than answer questions about intentional fouls. But he said that he still enjoyed the self-abuse from coaching to delay retirement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom