2023 Recruiting: - Gavin Griffiths | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Gavin Griffiths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
stats from the avon old farms game a week ago. Just got around to watching it.

Griffiths vs AOF 12.8.21

Overall… not his best game. Not much new to see. Hell of a shooter, limited athletically on defense and rebounding. Dribbling and driving is still growing, but not up to snuff yet. Solid game IQ.

• Strength is not good. Doesn’t get to the line or absorb contact how you’d like to see.
  • Little too much dribble instead of making the extra pass at times… I hate when players use 2, 3, 4 crossovers and don’t actually GO anywhere. Not sure he’s going to be a natural passer. More of a system passer.
  • Not thrilled with his rebounding. Doesn’t box out or aggressively pursue the ball. More of a floater. Even when he develops some strength, his instinct for tracking the ball doesn’t seem ideal.
  • Obviously has real nice shooting form… not in love with his step back or his transition 3 though. Balance seems kinda funky. Catch and shoot, he’s a knockdown 3 point shooter. Maybe the best in this HS class. We’ll be in heaven if he, Hawkins, and Karaban ever see the floor together.
  • Low TO player–gotta like that. He isn’t taking unnecessary risks. He doesn’t really take much of ANY risks, which could be problematic… ideally he gets a bit more aggressive without being reckless.
  • Relies on his 3 point shot WAY too much in this game. Because he can’t create his own shot at the rim or dribble very well, he either passes to someone right next to him or takes a 3 off the dribble. Needs to build his scoring package to something other than jumpers to take his game to the next level.
  • Got more aggressive driving later in the game and looked much, much better.
  • Took a few ugly 2 point jumpers as well… I mean just bad. He needed to see the bench, but he’s too good to sit on this team.
  • Stagnant on offense without the ball in his hands unless the coach calls a set play… but isn’t that good with the ball in his hands… needs to be better than that if he isn’t going to be a defensive stopper at this level (which is low)
  • I wouldn’t say he’s a GOOD shotblocker, but he definitely has decent timing for a relatively earthbound 6’7 guard/wing.

35 PTS
9 REB ( 3 offensive)
2 AST

1 TO
1 STL
5 BLK

8/11 2FG
5/15 3FG
4/6 FT

Corner 3

Block
Kingswood Oxford vs. Avon Old Farms Varsity Mens' Basketball

Assist

Another block… this one a little cleaner

Steal and 2

Rebound, 2 dribble, assist
2 rebounds and the putback

Pull up

Transition 3 ball

Floater

Pump fake, side step, 3

Block

Little oop

For 2

Block? I think

This one was def a block

Rebound and putback for 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I used to scout teams before practice for hours every day. First year I haven't coached since 2010. Old habits die hard. When I polish these up more, they also get sent to people a lot better at coaching than me.
Based on your background and "eye"..Two questions on GG.. Does he have decent footspeed for his size or is he still growing into his body? It sounds like he is more of an offensive scheme/open shot player than having the talent (currently) to create his own shot off of the dribble.. Yes? Thx

Reaction Score
Apologies for asking what’s probably a very stupid question, but this kid is rated as a 4-star recruit and overall #42 nationally by 247. So why do schools like Siena, Fairfield, Dayton, Hofstra, etc., even bother to try recruiting him? Aren’t the chances of him signing to play at one of those schools right around zero?

Or is that just SOP at small schools, i.e., you let a 4-star know that you “like” him but then you actually focus your efforts on lower-ranked (or unranked) prospects?

Reaction Score
Apologies for asking what’s probably a very stupid question, but this kid is rated as a 4-star recruit and overall #42 nationally by 247. So why do schools like Siena, Fairfield, Dayton, Hofstra, etc., even bother to try recruiting him? Aren’t the chances of him signing to play at one of those schools right around zero?

Or is that just SOP at small schools, i.e., you let a 4-star know that you “like” him but then you actually focus your efforts on lower-ranked (or unranked) prospects?

Offers were from before his ranking blew up.

Reaction Score

I read an article a few years ago by Matt Noorlander that was bascially an in depth profile of how a mid major division 1 head coach handles recruiting. It was eye opening just how much of a grind it is for these schools that arent in the top conferences to recruit players. Article is linked here and its a great read.
Particularly, I found it fascinating how this coach would root for the players he was recruiting to do well, but not too well because then he would attract attention from better schools that he couldn't compete against. Probably the case for some of those schools you mentioned.

Reaction Score
I read an article a few years ago by Matt Noorlander that was bascially an in depth profile of how a mid major division 1 head coach handles recruiting. It was eye opening just how much of a grind it is for these schools that arent in the top conferences to recruit players. Article is linked here and its a great read.
Particularly, I found it fascinating how this coach would root for the players he was recruiting to do well, but not too well because then he would attract attention from better schools that he couldn't compete against. Probably the case for some of those schools you mentioned.

I used to see a lot of these guys when I was still doing AAU. It's terrible. They barely have money for the admissions fees their budgets are so small. Eat fast food for days on end... it's awful. Working your way from the bottom up in CBB isn't pretty--and most of them never make it to the big time.

Reaction Score

In addition to what others have mentioned, smaller schools will also develop relationships with these prospects in case they don't live up to their recruiting ranking in college and want to transfer to get more playing time. Then they already have the relationship built with that kid, and can offer them the playing time they're seeking.

Reaction Score
I used to see a lot of these guys when I was still doing AAU. It's terrible. They barely have money for the admissions fees their budgets are so small. Eat fast food for days on end... it's awful. Working your way from the bottom up in CBB isn't pretty--and most of them never make it to the big time.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was trying to suggest: their "recruitment" of these 4 and 5-stars is more like a couple visits to their games, maybe a few phone calls and texts, and (barring some expression of mutual interest from the player) then on to their more realistic prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom