Gampel Roof Repair Report | The Boneyard

Gampel Roof Repair Report

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
http://today.uconn.edu/2017/05/summer-construction-ramps-uconn/

"Almost as soon as the echoes of Commencement 2017 faded away, crews were inside Gampel to start setting up for roof and ceiling repairs that have been eagerly anticipated for the last several years.

Gampel opened in 1990 and the domed ceiling’s construction was innovative for its time, including a network of metal panels insulated with fabric covering.

As Gampel has aged, though, the fabric has started to tear and flake. Also, the sealant between panels on the dome’s roof has started to wear off, causing leaks to become more common.

The $10 million in repairs involve dislodging each panel from the ceiling, lowering it to the ground, replacing the covering and insulation, and then raising it again for reinstallation. On the exterior, the roof will have a new and safer access system for workers to reach it when needed, and will be resealed to prevent leaks."

An earlier thread had led me to believe this project was being deferred. Apparently not.

Reaction Score
Summer Construction Ramps Up at UConn - UConn Today

"Almost as soon as the echoes of Commencement 2017 faded away, crews were inside Gampel to start setting up for roof and ceiling repairs that have been eagerly anticipated for the last several years.

Gampel opened in 1990 and the domed ceiling’s construction was innovative for its time, including a network of metal panels insulated with fabric covering.

As Gampel has aged, though, the fabric has started to tear and flake. Also, the sealant between panels on the dome’s roof has started to wear off, causing leaks to become more common.

The $10 million in repairs involve dislodging each panel from the ceiling, lowering it to the ground, replacing the covering and insulation, and then raising it again for reinstallation. On the exterior, the roof will have a new and safer access system for workers to reach it when needed, and will be resealed to prevent leaks."

An earlier thread had led me to believe this project was being deferred. Apparently not.

A case of when innovation moved more quickly than materials technology.
Then there is the Frank Lloyd Wright quote (and he was serious): Roofs are supposed to leak! Maybe a good quote for UConn Maintenance to use as needed.
Let see, 17 years (loads of leaks in the interim) before replacement---maybe in 2034 tear down and start from scratch--I suspect more leaks by 2022--if the old tend continues. Does anyone else remember the game or games halted due to roof leaks??

Reaction Score
I recall reading recently that Gampel was initially poorly designed in that it did not allow for outside access to heavy machinery to work on roof and other hard to get to areas. Evidently the entrance portals have to be dismantled before an opening is large enough for entry of large equipment. Anyone know any more about this?

Reaction Score
Initially, interior repair in part was to be made from the crow's nest basket that can be lowered; however, that now cannot be used because there is no way to rescue workers in the basket if it get's stuck or malfunctions when at the top of the dome because you can't get rescue equipment that can reach that high inside the building. I've been up on the catwalk when the new LED lighing was installed - it's crazy wicked up there looking down....... One of the things that was done in the past year was to install an appropriate worker tie-off system to enable workers to get around on the exterior of the dome.

Reaction Score
Summer Construction Ramps Up at UConn - UConn Today

If they have to go through that process for all the panels, why not replace roof entirely with another roof design?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If they have to go through that process for all the panels, why not replace roof entirely with another roof design?

I suspect this approach is less disruptive in and around Gampel and cheaper too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom