Gamecocks 2022, Part II | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At UConn, we have a slightly longer perspective than 8 years. :rolleyes:

And frankly, it took more than 8 seasons before Stanford, Maryland and Duke started to duck us.

not sure how you resisted adding Tennessee. Nice restraint.

Reaction Score
Over the last 8 seasons - beginning with the 2013-14 season (a total of 152 ranked weeks by the AP):

Most weeks ranked #1

Connecticut: 92
South Carolina: 25
Notre Dame: 11
Stanford: 9
Baylor: 8

Most weeks ranked in top 5:

Connecticut: 150
Notre Dame: 100
South Carolina: 95
Baylor: 92
Louisville: 79

Most weeks ranked in top 10:

Connecticut: 152
Baylor: 149
Louisville: 129
South Carolina: 127
Notre Dame: 115

I wonder when we will establish ourselves as a consistent power??? :rolleyes:

Ought to catch Notre Dame for weeks in top five if things go to plan.

maybe make up a little ground on Baylor for the top 10 number.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

And frankly, it took more than 8 seasons before Stanford, Maryland and Duke started to duck us.
You do understand that parity is here even though you have a few teams that are head and shoulders above the rest. It is no longer UCONN and then everyone else. The last 4 years should have told you that. They can still win it all...but so can others. It's not an easy path for any of those teams....including UCONN.

Reaction Score
8 years is an eternity in basketball years. That's two full class cycles. If there was ever a time to duck South Carolina, this would be the year.

I think Staley's relationship with some of the other coaches played a huge part with teams agreeing to play against them along with the fact that there isn't an active team with 100+ streak to compete against either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Hey now... let's leave Duke outta this.

Reaction Score
8 years is an eternity in basketball years. That's two full class cycles. If there was ever a time to duck South Carolina, this would be the year.

I think Staley's relationship with some of the other coaches played a huge part with teams agreeing to play against them along with the fact that there isn't an active team with 100+ streak to compete against either.

not sure if this team or the following one would be better. I guess that depends on Raven Johnson to some degree.

Reaction Score

Then it would appear that your perspective is substantially stunted. Your statement above referred to "WCBB", not to CT. Eight seasons should be ample enough time for sampling a determination of consistency among the very best of programs - especially since the five teams listed above are consistently listed in all three categories.

But I understand, and commiserate - fanbases often tend to be a bit myopic when it comes to reality.

;)

Also, I see a bit of cut marks in the field from your goal-post movement. Sloppy. So now there is a predetermined length of time required before consistency "starts" to be realized. How long will this time span prerequisite last, before we poorly Gamecock fans need to "get ready"? I don't want to get all cramped up, you see....:D

Reaction Score
Then it would appear that your perspective is substantially stunted. Your statement above referred to "WCBB", not to CT. Eight seasons should be ample enough time for sampling a determination of consistency among the very best of programs - especially since the five teams listed above are consistently listed in all three categories.

But I understand, and commiserate - fanbases often tend to be a bit myopic when it comes to reality.

;)

Also, I see a bit of cut marks in the field from your goal-post movement. Sloppy. So now there is a predetermined length of time required before consistency "starts" to be realized. How long will this time span prerequisite last, before we poorly Gamecock fans need to "get ready"? I don't want to get all cramped up, you see....:D

My larger point remains. It took more than 8 years before top teams started to duck us.

Reaction Score
not sure if this team or the following one would be better. I guess that depends on Raven Johnson to some degree.
At this point in time I think this team might be better due to Henderson mostly and the depth of players like Saxton, Littleton and Grissett bring.

But that freshman class along with Cardoso being a year within the system to supplement the current junior class next year could be even scarier than this season,

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody ducks UConn. Amost every program wants to be "in the spotlight" and playing UConn is one sure way to get the light. I'm talking about programs that are strong enough to demand a home and home.
have to agree with you here, it's not about ducking. Again it's just my opinion but some of the series get cancelled due to to Geno and maybe not the best relationship with other hcs. Wether it's arrogance or saying stuff like "we will sell out your arena" I can see why other hc's it can rub the wrong way. Again the other team is doing you a favor to play you, don't have to act obnoxious towards them.

Reaction Score
have to agree with you here, it's not about ducking. Again it's just my opinion but some of the series get cancelled due to to Geno and maybe not the best relationship with other hcs. Wether it's arrogance or saying stuff like "we will sell out your arena" I can see why other hc's it can rub the wrong way. Again the other team is doing you a favor to play you, don't have to act obnoxious towards them.
If your goal is merely to make the tournament, I guess I can see weaker schools not wanting to take the loss and the possible/probable beatdown. If you consider yourself a true contender, it seems you would want to play UConn to get "big game" experience for your team in a loud, hostile environment every other year - and to create a big game on your home floor if your fans care enough. Also, you want to get in recruits eyeball through TV

For SCar, playing UConn is a win/win despite our record.

Reaction Score
If your goal is merely to make the tournament, I guess I can see weaker schools not wanting to take the loss and the possible/probable beatdown. If you consider yourself a true contender, it seems you would want to play UConn to get "big game" experience for your team in a loud, hostile environment every other year - and to create a big game on your home floor if your fans care enough. Also, you want to get in recruits eyeball through TV

For SCar, playing UConn is a win/win despite our record.

And vice versa.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Which series were canceled for this reason and how do you know that?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just for starters, both Stanford, Maryland and Duke (although Kara may start it again) ended their series with UConn. And Syracuse refused to play UConn for Stewie's homecoming game. And UConn almost always agrees to a home and home.
Why do you mention Maryland? The Terps and UConn agreed to a series that was supposed to start last tear but was delayed due to covid. Hopefully it will start next year.

UConn's Front-end Loaded SOS Dilemma

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I mentioned Maryland because this is the renewal of a series that Maryland dropped.
What? Maryland played UConn twice in the regular season during the Stewie years -- once at Maryland in 2012 and then at MSG in the Maggie Dixon Classic in 2015. The schools then played in the 2016-17 and 2017-2018 seasons. The schools then signed a contract to play again beginning last season but covid got in the way. I don't understand how you can accuse Maryland of ducking UConn. Just because teams don't play every single year doesn't mean one is ducking the other.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand this statement. UConn and South Carolina met first in 2007 in Storrs when Susan Walvius was head coach. That game was the first of a home-and-home series with the game at South Carolina in 2008 being the homecoming game for Kalana Greene. The 2008-2009 season was Dawn’s first as head coach and the UConn game was on the schedule as part of a contractual obligation. The games between the 2 schools didn’t resume until the 2014-2015 season when the first meeting was in Storrs. As I recall, South Carolina was ranked #1 heading in to that game and made the Final Four that season.

Wasn't that the year UConn started as No 1 and dropped after losing in OT at Maples? I remember saying that SCar got the 1 despite a weak OOC schedule into Jan. SCar fans here were outspoken about their size and depth that year.

Reaction Score

I agree with all but the "doing you a favor". That is both arrogant and obnoxious. When the best player at my golf course invited me to play it was him doing me a favor, not the other way around.,

Geno made a comment this past season that with some teams he stopped trying to talk to the coach and had his AD call their AD. The "fill the arena" argument works better with people who work with budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom