Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the dragons are the bellwether for Dany's chances at capturing the iron throne. I'd she can control then, than an invasion of Westeros is possible. If they grow wild then she either succumbs in Essos or figures another way forward without them.

Her arc is the most far afield from the main plot. She will either enter the battle for Westeros or dissappear. The dragons are her entire power base at the moment.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think the dragons are the bellwether for Dany's chances at capturing the iron throne. I'd she can control then, than an invasion of Westeros is possible. If they grow wild then she either succumbs in Essos or figures another way forward without them.

Her arc is the most far afield from the main plot. She will either enter the battle for Westeros or dissappear. The dragons are her entire power base at the moment.
But as the show has demonstrated in the first two episodes this season only ONE dragon is "hers": Drogon . The other 2 want to attack her. The other 2 must play some other purpose.

Reaction Score
But as the show has demonstrated in the first two episodes this season only ONE dragon is "hers": Drogon . The other 2 want to attack her. The other 2 must play some other purpose.

I gathered from the preview that she's going to let the other two loose . . .

Reaction Score
From what I read, the Unsullied and their long swords (no pun intended) are trained to fight in the open battlefields, not in a cramped alley. That's how they were overtaken by the numbers and the daggers.

August_West

Reaction Score
From what I read, the Unsullied and their long swords (no pun intended) are trained to fight in the open battlefields, not in a cramped alley. That's how they were overtaken by the numbers and the daggers.
That is true. It was planned by the Harpies to lure them into a closed area to get them in close contact and make the staffs ineffective. It's still crap though because the Unsullied are supposed to be disciplined beyond reproach and should have never fallen for such a transparent tactic.

August_West

Reaction Score

The dragons are her source of power/fear sure especially in Essos, but what really means something in Westeros is her name. The dragons just drive that home.

Reaction Score
It's still crap though because the Unsullied are supposed to be disciplined beyond reproach and should have never fallen for such a transparent tactic.

This.

Even if they did get lured into an ambush, they would not have fought like depicted in the show. Though the books are not as useful as a guide as they once were, the Unsullied are described as best acting like a Roman phalanx. Even in close quarters, they could have formed ranks and been impossible to attack.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This.

Even if they did get lured into an ambush, they would not have fought like depicted in the show. Though the books are not as useful as a guide as they once were, the Unsullied are described as best acting like a Roman phalanx. Even in close quarters, they could have formed ranks and been impossible to attack.

The Sons of the Harpy were trying to win too, and had the advantage of numbers, surprise, and fighting on their home turf. Despite that, Selmy and a wounded Grey Worm were outnumbered about 12-2 and they ended up taking out all of the SotH in that particular alley before going down themselves.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can I ask the folks like you and Waylon what you expect the dragons are there for? You're watching a show with a major character, probably the major character, defined by her unique status as the Mother of Dragons. The first season saw them birthed, and now they're growing up. Do you expect they're going to stay part of the backdrop forever?

I'm not asking what ya'll would like to happen with the dragons. I'm asking whether you think they're gonna just be part of the set until the curtains fall.

P.s. I wouldn't bet that Tyrion flies a dragon. John will hook up with Danny somehow as Targ No. 2 (he's her nephew), of that I'm certain. But I wouldn't presume to bet on Tyrion.

I would rather the White Walkers win than the dragons, and it is not even close. If this ends up being 7,000 pages and 70-80 episodes of predestination because they are all Targaryans, I will be very, very pissed.

Reaction Score
I would rather the White Walkers win than the dragons, and it is not even close. If this ends up being 7,000 pages and 70-80 episodes of predestination because they are all Targaryans, I will be very, very pissed.

I would rather Luke had joined his father and ruled the galaxy as father and son. Who doesn't? Alas, I know to expect disappointment every time I watch Empire Strikes Back. My question is therefore what do you expect? To steal from Mad Men, I promise not to all over your dreams if you write them down.

Reaction Score
The Sons of the Harpy were trying to win too, and had the advantage of numbers, surprise, and fighting on their home turf. Despite that, Selmy and a wounded Grey Worm were outnumbered about 12-2 and they ended up taking out all of the SotH in that particular alley before going down themselves.

Am I the only one to see the irony in Nelson (correctly) pointing out that Selmy's and Grey Worm's opponents were there too and also trying to win?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one to see the irony in Nelson (correctly) pointing out that Selmy's and Grey Worm's opponents were there too and also trying to win?

Must have missed that conversation. But I'll take your word for it.

I think Dany should just get rid of the Dragons and go independent.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget, there was also a little hint that Caitlin Stark may not be completely dead, so she could still play a role (hope not)

What hint? I must have missed that one. Is this a book spoiler or something from the show?

August_West

Reaction Score
What hint? I must have missed that one. Is this a book spoiler or something from the show?
Yeah a book spoiler. Pay no attention. it sucks anyway and we can only pray its left out of show.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One thing about Episode 5.05 I noticed after watching again last night is that there is a lot of exposition in this episode. There are a lot of characters with long monologues explaining why something is happening rather than telling a story through action and normal dialogue. Littlefinger is practically a narrator in the show at this point.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yeah a book spoiler. Pay no attention. it sucks anyway and we can only pray its left out of show.

Confirmed not part of the TV show by many sources.

Reaction Score
Maybe arguing with a guy called Excalibur over the tactical details of sword fighting is futile. But wouldn't a smart fighter not allow himself to become decisively engaged in an environment like that, if he didn't really have the right weapon for the task?
Have to imagine a knife and short sword on hand for such an occasion...

Reaction Score
So last night's episode could be subtitled "How to win friends & influence people" with the story arcs of Jon & Dany. While Jon is being met with resistance by his fellow defenders of the wall, I suspect his strategy will eventually put him in a position of strength. Dany, meanwhile, is proving to be a petty tyrant over her subjects. She has lost any ability to rule through her wits & guile. Will her strategy actually work to get the remaining tribal leaders to betray their kinsman? I liked her better as the benevolent despot than as the autocratic czarina.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Show got back on track.

The Dany storyline is more a case of her making it up as she goes along, and bouncing from one crisis to another. Showing her power with the dragons was a good move, but then offering to marry the duplicitous Hizdahr zo Loraq was just flat out stupid. Her betrothal is her biggest carrot to offer when she gets to Westeros, and she wastes it on this jackass, who has no chance of being accepted in Westeros and will piss off Daario.

The back and forth between Dany and Jon Snow was illustrative of a big difference between the two. Dany has a lot of weapons at her disposal, but she keeps making things worse. Jon Snow has almost nothing to work with, and he is decisive and effective, earning the respect of Stannis.

I thought that they killed off Selmy as a way to bring Mormont back, but I guess not. Great scene of Tyrion and Mormont going through Valeria. Lots of double meanings in their conversation, with two outcasts discussing a lost civilization.

For all the offseason hype about the Sand Snakes, we are halfway through the season, and they have played a very minor role. I wonder if the producers realized that they weren't working out and cut back their screen time.

Ramsey's world is coming apart and he is not handling it well. That dinner scene with Theon was both painfully uncomfortable and very well done. Between Stannis heading south and Brienne right outside the walls of Winterfell, plus his batspit crazy girlfriend and daddy knocking up his new wife, Ramsey's world is closing in on him.

Glad to see the show get back to telling a story through characters instead of narrators.

Reaction Score
Ok, THAT was a really good episode. That sucks about Mormont, but I have a feeling that he won't be going away quietly even though he appears to be head back to Valeria.

Really enjoying Stannis being a stand in father/mentor up north. It's self serving but fitting.

Reaction Score
Glad to see the show get back to telling a story through characters instead of narrators.

Absolutely. An episode where the plot didn't advance much at all was much more enjoyable than those in which it did -- almost entirely because the action happened directly instead of through explanation.

They continue to pound us over the head with the Jon Snow as Targaryen references . . .

Reaction Score
Ok, THAT was a really good episode. That sucks about Mormont, but I have a feeling that he won't be going away quietly even though he appears to be head back to Valeria.

Really enjoying Stannis being a stand in father/mentor up north. It's self serving but fitting.
Maybe Moremont will send a message by carrier crow to Stannis asking for the addresses of the medics that cured Stannis's daughter. lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom